Sun Roof on 2012 Cadillac CTS Extremely LOUD!

Swallow123
40

Asked by Swallow123 Feb 09, 2013 at 07:30 AM about the 2012 Cadillac CTS 3.0L Luxury

I've been told that the noise level between the CTS with a sun roof and one without should be negligible, however, I feel like I'm in a wind tunnel whenever I drive it a highway speeds.  The car has been into the dealership 5 times now and they've done everything from replace the gasket to reseat the glass - and it's still loud.  Anybody have any ideas?

Swallow123
40

Hi Bob, The gasket has been replaced, the glass panels have been re-seated (twice) and it's only made a minor difference in the sound. And no, there's been no rain leaking into the cabin - unless it's going somewhere else. The service mgr I spoke to yesterday said that they are considerably louder than the CTS without a sunroof. When the weather's a little better, I intend to take a "sister" car for a test drive - if only to make me feel better.

53,075

Take another 2012 CTS out for a test drive to see if they are all that loud.

judge_roy

so simple. an angle deflector will prevent resonation and noise.

Swallow123
40

We intend to take its sister vehicle for a test drive - one with and one without a sunroof. What type of angle deflector are you referring to and would it deaden the sound in the cabin from passing trucks?

Swallow123
40

Sorry, all I could picture is those gawd awful wind deflectors people put on their vehicles when they're pulling holiday trailers! Now wouldn't that look purdy? After reviewing the site you suggested and while it's better than I imagined, I still think I'll pass. But thanks anyway.

Swallow123
40

Please accept my apologies for having offended you. That was not my intention and I do appreciate the information on this site as well as the people who provide it.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Are we talking opened or close ... gotta know the problem before you can answer? If open and the dealer says there would be no difference, he lied. If closed probably still would be; mine in two different CTS's was and is minimal. Get the dba sound level measured in all three cases, i.e., closed and opened and without.

Swallow123
40

@ Joseph - Cadillac owners have said that I shouldn't notice that much difference between a car with a sunroof and its sister car without one; it's only now that GM reps are telling me that yes, they are considerably noisier.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Again, what mode are you operating in? Open, closed,

Joseph Kopacz
335

closed after open? Please get real, obviously you've never been in a wind tunnel or have something seriously wrong with your hearing. Regardless, the ONLY way you'll know is to take sound pressure level measurements ... if you've been back to the dealership 5 times you'll do so.

Swallow123
40

Joseph - The answer would be closed. Tomorrow, I'm going to look into a handheld db monitor and somehow try to find time to go in to test drive a couple of these cars. Who knew that a stupid new car would consume so much of my life. And yes, the car has been into the dealership (2 in fact) now 6 times.

Swallow123
40

CLOSED.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Well, the solution I found was to turn up the boss stereo sound system a notch or two. PS my convertible Corvette has a volume adjustment knob to compensate for wind noise. I know the main bearing on my cts-v went bad and 6 days later it's still not fixed .... but when it is, go baby, go.

aaacar
215

SWALLOW,DID YOU GET STANDARD ROOF FROM FACTORY? WHEN I PURCHASED 2011 CTS FOUND ROOF ONLY OPENED 3" SO I WENT AND PURCHASED A CUSTOM MOONROOF THAT OPENS ALL THE WAY UP OUTSIDE OF ROOF LINE,WE LOVE IT, GET MORE SUN AND AIR,WHEN YOU TURN IGNITION OFF CLOSES AUTOMATICALLY.NO NOISE WHAT SO EVER! GOOD LUCK

Joseph Kopacz
335

Again, are you talking coupe or sedan? The coupe is designed to only open 3". The sedan 3" or completely. If you have a sedan and it only did the former and you did not have Cadillac correct the fault shame on you! If you have a coupe and did not know that before and still bought one then, again, shame on you!

Swallow123
40

@Joseph - I have another appointment with the service department - 1st for the sunroof & 2nd for the heated seats. The seats won't turn on during a remote start, even at an ambient temp of 50F. And, someone suggested that I try putting a minimal amount of pressure on various parts of the centre bar. Guess what, IT WORKED. Minimal thumb pressure just to the left of centre greatly reduced the wind noise!

Swallow123
40

@aaacar - This is a factory sunroof on a sedan. If yours is a sedan, I definitely would have taken it back to the dealership.

Joseph Kopacz
335

@ bob_nueske ... Hypercritical contemplivity and now insonsiderate. I do not know what your talking about? Furthermore, this has nothing to do with humanity" and everything to do with investing $50k plus. Remember what Forest Gump has to about a box of chocolates ... oh, have a nice day.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Another Gumpism ... stupid is as stupid does [writes]. So your a bodily function kind of fool too.

judge_roy

Don't you have something useful to do? all of this pretending to interpret things that seem serious when it's all a joke! Can you just please. Totally finished with you people...and this thread. what to do with you people...look inside to find the light. If it isn't there stuggle to find your inspiration as clearly it's not here on CarGurus!

Joseph Kopacz
335

Thank you, good by.

Swallow123
40

Hi All, just wanted to provide an update on the sunroof problem. Seems the centre bar(?) isn't providing enough tension to seal the 2 glass panels. Seems there's also a problem with some tubing (drip, I think). Seems they have to order parts from the US (again). So....if we have to return the rental, pick up the car, wait till the parts come in, pick up another rental and wait for the car to be fixed - we're talking about the 9th trip for the SAME PROBLEM!

Swallow123
40

Oh! And I'm currently driving a 2013 CTS - WITHOUT A SUNROOF. Man, what a difference. Of course, there's still the road noise, but not the wind tunnel I've become accustomed to. My only suggestion to GM would be to add more sound insulation in these cars.

Joseph Kopacz
335

You did test drive the car BEFORE you bought it, didn't you?

Swallow123
40

Yes, I did test drive the vehicle prior to buying it, however, it was in warm weather, there was a set "track" for test drives - meaning no highway and there was a lot of traffic. So attempting to get the vehicle up to a speed where I could hear the noise was virtually impossible. In case you're wondering, we weren't terribly concerned with the "track", because we had a CTS before and we knew what to expect - or so we thought.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Sorry I cannot help you. As soon as they told me that I had to test drive my possible future investment in their car on their "track" only I'd have been out of there in a New York minute. The mere fact that your still fooling around with them takes you out of my league and puts you in P.T. Barnum's. Lot's of luck, I've got a feeling your going to need it (and dollars too).

Swallow123
40

I have a strong feeling that you wouldn't have heard much anyway, as the vehicle only had 64 kms on it and the weather was quite warm.

Joseph Kopacz
335

Lot's of dollars. Consummatum est.

Swallow123
40

And yet ANOTHER definitive response from GM! Did you know that GM doesn't simply replace parts if there's nothing wrong with them? In my case though, in the interest of customer satisfaction, they say that's why they're replacing the centre bar! So, I guess if the bar doesn't work, this car will be relegated to city use only and I'll have to just pray for the day we can dump it.

Richard Schroer
3,245

does the noise go away when you shut the shade?

Swallow123
40

No, the shade doesn't seem to have any sound deadening qualities.