Change crankshaft position sensor

K-lo Doe
5

Asked by K-lo Apr 19, 2012 at 09:22 PM about the 2000 Audi A6 2.8 Quattro

I replaced the crankshaft position sensor on my 2000 Audi a6 with 2.8 engine.  Now making loud screeching noise when running.  I changed nothing else and was running smooth before that.  Any suggestions would be appreciated.

K-lo Doe
5

I have my own answer. I put the old sensor in and screech went a way. The new sensor was a little bit longer and touched the crankshaft. I bought a new original part one from Audi dealer for 25 dollars more and got my money back on the other part. The part looked the same until I really put it side by side. Working good and starting every time.

garageman
1,395

Fun job to do twice is it not?

K-lo Doe
5

2nd time was a lot easier. Had the system down. Would have much rather done once though.

garageman
1,395

You just need to chalk it up to an experience learned the hard way,always compare parts very closely.

dorgknorl
20

Just replaced mine and got the screech and realized that I had not used the spacer that was on the old one. I realized that because I had read this post, thanks. Jack up the left front and remove the wheel and the sensor can be reached by hand. Audi ought to be ashamed of their use of a very cheap on board jack and cheap on board tools and that they use wheel bolts with loose brake rotors. To me this is borderline criminal. Also their use of plastic shrouds over the engine and valve covers is really annoying and stupid.

Peneparado
40

Where is Crankshaft positioning sensor located in 2005 Audi a6 Quattro 3.2?