Can I replace OEM 17" wheels with 16" wheels on 99 sebring Lxi

sun_set
0

Asked by sun_set Feb 21, 2013 at 01:58 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr LXi Coupe

I have a 99 sebring Lxi with 17" OEM wheels. The tire size is 215/50/R17. I want to change the wheel to 16" and the tires to 215/60/R16. A mechanic once told me that I cannot go to a wheel size lower than 17" for this car due to the brake caliper size. Does anyone know if I can change the wheels to a 16" size and wold it cause any probems. Your help is greatly appreciated. I really need to replace the OEM wheels as they are garbage.

45,705

Do you have more than one half inch clearance between the wheel and the caliper now with the 17" wheel? Reducing the wheel size by one inch will reduce the radius by one half inch. --- A sure fire way of checking is to mount a bare rim on one of the front hubs. Don't mount a tire, they don't give refunds on used wheels.