Battery light comes on

tommyr
235

Asked by Feb 18, 2011 at 10:45 AM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

The battery light comes on on my sebring conv. When I shut the engine off, the light will stay off for a while but will come back on. Is this a problem with the alternator or any other ideas? The engine is a 2.5 v6

Jon Keachie
1,265

If I reading this post correctly, your say'n the battery light comes on the dash when vehicle is shut off for a few minutes and key is out of ignition ? ? If yes, then you have wiring/short somewhere in the electrical system harness, possible causes would be corroded wire, modifications done improperly, after market parts installed and or it may be your ECU/ECM which is the computer for your electronics of the vehicle. This won't be an easy fix it will take time and extensive checking wiring harness. On a properly working vehicle will not trigger your batter light to come on after vehicle is shut off and key in the stop position, you should be ok to drive the vehicle but I would not trust it for a long drive just in case the problem gets worse. Good luck

tommyr
235

When the light comes on, I can shut the engine off, and restart it and the light is off for a while, then it will come back on. I was told that it is the alternator and it would have to be replaced. I don't know if that is the problem or maybe the computer. Thanks for your input. I'll check the computer, wiring and connections. Thanks again.

tommcmanis
6,335

Alts gunny bagged, the diode that keeps voltage flowing one way is toast, or the voltage regulator, alt time

tommcmanis
6,335

Just did this on my 98 jxi

cutlasspro
20

im not sure if this helps but i put a motor in my 04 sebring and the alt. light was doing the same car run for a minute then the light came on in dash i got tracing the big wire from alt and it changes from red to green at end with a heat shield coat on it the way it looks like a ground wire that bolts on transmission bolt but it goes on the starter along with the hot wire to starter (a fast way to find out if it is wire up wrong is to run a jumper wire from big wire on alt to the hot post under hood at fuse box if it arks then wire is grounded instead of hook to starter thanks hope this helps

Thomas Wilson
0

Cutlasspro's comment was the bomb ! I just replaced an engine and as well alternator problems. I replaced the alternator and still no charge. I read his comment and found the green wire landed as a ground and not to the starter. Thanks for sharing ! !