oil light

kathyann
35

Asked by kathyann Sep 19, 2007 at 04:16 PM about the 1999 Chrysler Sebring 2 Dr JXi Convertible

My oil light keeps comming on.  I have checked the oil and it is not low.  The oil light only comes on when I'm stopped or the RMP (?) is 2 or below. It also only seems to happen when the weather is cooler.  Is the oil pump going out??  Or could it be a sensor?? My car does have 111000 miles on it.

29,535

This is a known problem with a fix available. The oil pressure sending unit as installed at the factory uses a single-ground set-up. Over time stray voltage can cause it to ground out and cause the light to come on. A dealership will have the parts to install a new sending unit with a second wire which is grounded elsewhere, to keep the stray voltage problem away. This will cost around $120-150. They can also check your oil pressure to verify that no problem exists. I had this same problem with a 1998 Chrysler Sebring JXi convertible this past year.