overheating problem

Lindsay Thacker
0

Asked by Lindsay Mar 27, 2013 at 07:42 AM about the 2000 Chrysler Sebring JX Convertible

I was driving my car and it make a squealing kind of noise and all of a sudden started smoking really bad so i pulled over... too many ppl are telling me too many different things that it could be... water pump pulley radiator i just need a better answer because i cant afford to fix things that are not wrong with my car.. need help please asap i have 2 kids that ride in my car and i need it to be fixed

Lindsay Thacker
0

could itpossibly be a head gasket? or what somebody please tell me something

DavidH25

What you describe Lindsay is a broken serpentine belt. Something froze up, most common is the air conditioner , it squealed and smoked until it broke, then your water pump will not be turning, hence overheat. Can you get it to a parts house that will read your OBD codes? That would be great if it's drivable but first things first, pop the hood and see if my guess is right, if the belt is gone or shredded and hanging there, you need to find out which component froze, get that fixed, new belt, you're on the road

DavidH25

To check if it's head gasket, pull your oil dipstick and see if the oil looks OK. If the oil is a light brown, kinda chocolate color and thin and over full, the it is a head gasket/ Also check your radiator, make sure there is no motor oil in there, a blown out head gasket can put coolant in oil or oil in radiator

Lindsay Thacker
0

it only smoked on the passenger side when i heard the noise then it started smoking i know almost nothing bout cars and it was too dark to try to look at it myself.. my mom took it to get it to the shop and it never made it there yet so im freakin out cuz i need my car to get to and from work and for the kids i need answers asap

DavidH25

Let me call the cavalry. I will get some other guys here. Now.

95,095

The smoke could have just been the belt passing over a frozen pulley. or tensioner pulley/idler pulley. The belt and all accessories are on the passenger side of the engine bay. It could be an alternator/power steering or water pump bearing burning up and not a headgasket issue. Was the smoke from leaking coolant? Maybe only a water pump as David pointed out. Not much you can do till you get it towed to the shop and they can do an assessment if you really don't know what your looking at. We can only give you an educated guess till we have more info. Hope this helps, and good luck.

John Sturman
1,275

nine times out of ten a belt has gone due to a siezure of a mechanical part either aircon compressor etc the water pump is driven off of the serpintine belt that runs the auxilery items so odds are its a cheap fix new belt new aux item

DavidH25

Thanks both you guys. That's what I thought too but she kept askin' so I thought I was missing something.....called for backup....thanks again

Lindsay Thacker
0

well i didnt kno if maybe it was more then wat u guys said bcuz i havent had heat in my car since ive got it... my blower resistor needs replacing and im sure the heater core is either not workin right or a hose could be clogged and idk if my problems could maybe be linked somehow im juss praying that it doesnt cost an arm n leg to fix cuz i dont have that kinda money

Emily Marie
0

If u are still fixing this car I have a bunch of new parts for it if your interested please just email me emies0716@aol.com

Emily Marie
0

Emily Marie
0

Emily Marie
0

Emily Marie
0