what would cause my 1999 toyota tacom 3.4L V6 to sputter and sometimes die when I am stopped with the automatic transmission in drive?

braach
0

Asked by braach Feb 22, 2012 at 11:59 PM about the 1999 Toyota Tacoma V6 Ext. Cab 4WD

Sometimes my truck sputters or dies when i come to a stop. The RPM's drop and the engine dies out but it only seems to happen when I am stopped with the transmission in drive.  If I feel it sputter and I put it in neutral the RPM's rise and the sputtering stops.

Scott Grabill
25

I had the same problem with a camaro I used to have. It ended up being a bad thottle position sensor, you may want to check that out.

Jay Boggs
25

More than likely on a toyota it is going to be a mass air flow sensor (MAF)..... A bad TPS on that truck would cause the rmps to bounce up and down usually not staling it.

Keith Boyd
85

have the thottle body service by someone who know toyota's. dirt/carbon can cause the idle air control valve to stick.