Car won't start numerous times then starts like nothing is the matter.

Jakebrake
0

Asked by Jakebrake Oct 17, 2012 at 07:35 PM about the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Hello, I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L AWD. I began having issues with it not wanting to start as of this past Monday. Over most of the day I tried over and over to start my car with the same results, click. A warning message flashed on my instrument bezel reading "Transmission Over Temp" but my car had been sitting for hours. I looked online and found feedback to this Transmission Over Temp warning message which suggested a defective (TCM) Transmission Control Module. Towards the very later end of that same day I tried one last time to start my car and it started. The next morning, Tuesday, my car started fine then towards the end of Tuesday it again did not want to start. I next checked the OBD error and it read NONE. Then after many more attempts with still no start I checked again my OBD error and it read P0153 which suggests "Invalid SKIM Key". I'm curious if I have two issues now "Transmission Over Temp=TCM replace as well as P0513=Invalid SKIM Key or did the error P0513 come up only because I had rapidly over and over attempted to start my car? After all this my car finally started. Then Wednesday, this morning I couldn't get it to start once again. I'd like to get some more reassuring feedback before I purchase this TCM and attempt to install then reprogram as well as if I truly need to replace my SKIM Key? Now when I check the message P0513 does not come up and it still is not starting. Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated for I am broke and do not have the money to just drove it off at the dealer. I'd really like to do the research and fix it myself if at all possible. Thank you kindly!

6t7gto
540

Jakebrake, I answered your concerns and for some reason it didn't post. Email me ...david102948@aol.com. david

You think this is helpful.
6t7gto
540

That worked! Had Jeep towed to dealer and they wanted $350.00 to replace the starter. Passed on that and brought car home. Removed the starter and had it tested at a starter rebuild shop. It tested fine. He suggested clean all the terminals. I removed the harness from the battery to the starter and had him check it. . He replace a few inches of the yellow wire that actuates the starter solenoid. I cleaned every terminal on the piece of harness. Positive side and negative side. BTW, none of the terminals looked corroded. Jeep is starting just fine, for now. Time will tell. David

Jenny Soukup
310

David, Did you have any other issues with your vehicle? I am experiencing the same transmission over temp issue - my car won't start, and that is the code I see just before I remove the key from the ignition. We had this happen once last winter, then two hours later the car started. We took the vehicle in to get checked and Jeep found nothing amiss. We replaced the transmission 3 months later for a shifting issue. Now, we are having the same issue again, but we have a baby now and are especially nervous about getting stranded. Please let me know if your fix worked, at least for the time being.

6t7gto
540

Jenny, This is my daughter's car and she has not had any problems since. Knock on wood. Good luck. David

Mikey1904
60

I Have A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. We Had Problems With It Starting It Would Turn On For About 3 Seconds Then Just Turns Off. Sometimes For Hours. I Took It To A Jeep Dealer And Replaced The Module $550. It's Still Doing The Same Thing. It's Something To Do With The Security Of The Keys And Kill Switch. I Am Going To Sell This Car Because Of My Research. A Lot Of People Are Having The Same Issues. Toyota Camry Here We Come!!

Anniex30
190

I also have a 2000 Laredo. The battery is fine but it's like it's not getting fuel. I've had the fuel pump replaced and the filter changed but to no good. If I let it sit overnight, it'll then start and run fine. I'm sooo sick of this piece of junk.

keywestjason
130

i have a 2007 JGC laredo and it was doing the same (3.7L) it started when using the auto start on the key fob and it wouldnt start. a local mechanic said he pulled the codes and it was a security issue and he reset the codes it and it was fine for 2 weeks then did it again. all lights and dash functions are working, just no turn over. i tried pulling the fuse for the wcm for 30 seconds to reset it but it didnt work. battery shows 12+ volts. so i was reading that the solenoid wire comes loose alot so i wiggled the solenoid wire and IT STARTED. i hosed it down with corrosionX and its been cool all day now. probably corrosion on the connector, theree is very little protecting it from road water n gunk. i also removed the negative wire from battery while doing this so that may have reset the security system as well. not sure which worked. i thought it may be starter but couldn't get to it easily on the ground but i was able to reach the solenoid wire to wiggle it (the starter is buried, you need a lift to get to it.) I hope this helps, also, google TSB 08-007-08 REV. A. that is what i think it may still be, ill repost if it does it again. good luck, jeeps suck when the electrical system goes buggy!

Jenny Soukup
310

We had the pigtails replaced in the starter and so far that has worked. That includes the solenoid wire, which does seem to be the big problem. We had a mechanic swear up and down that it was the wireless module, we told him it does not seem to solve the problem (according to everyone's online feedback), but he pushed us into replacing it, and $600 and 2 weeks later we had the same problem. Don't replace your module - replace the wires in your starter, which they referred to as the pigtail. It cost us $300 to have Jeep do it.

keywestjason
130

wouldn't start again today. i wiggled the solenoid wire and it started. definitely the problem. gonna get it fixed right tomorrow. i hope everyones fix is this simple. frustrating problem. they should not have used a blade connector, a nut n bolt would have been better

CJ1963
230

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - just purchased it in December. First time it left me stranded was about a month ago. Wouldnt start, "transmission over temp" flashed. My son jiggled something in the fuse box and it started. Three weeks later, same thing, same transmission over temp flashed, wouldnt start for several hours. Let it sit overnight and it started. I took it to my mechanic who has been trying to repeat the problem for about a week. I called the dealer where I purchased it, who referred me to the jeep dealer they do business with in Annapolis. I called them jeep dealer, the service manager told me that the "transmission over temp" will ALWAYS flash for a split second when the car won't start. I'm bringing the jeep in to his shop Monday morning. He said that it is his belief that the wiring to the solenoid / starter is most likely the issue. I asked him if it was the wiring what am I looking at in terms of cost - $400-$500 - which seems steep. Has anyone on this blog resolved their problem? If so, how?

Jenny Soukup
310

Yes, we did exactly that. No further issues. Good luck!

CJ1963
230

Jenny thanks! So you fixed the wiring then?

Jenny Soukup
310

Yes, the solenoid. They also referred to it as the pigtail.

6t7gto
540

I have had numerous emails about how to fix this issue. I will post it again.... Had the Jeep towed to dealer and they wanted $350.00 to replace the starter. Passed on that and brought car home. Removed the starter and had it tested at a starter rebuild shop. It tested fine. He suggested clean all the terminals. I removed the harness from the battery to the starter and had him check it. . He replaced a few inches of the yellow wire that actuates the starter solenoid. I cleaned every terminal on the piece of harness. Positive side and negative side. BTW, none of the terminals looked corroded. Jeep is starting just fine, for now. Time will tell. David

cfavoright
30

my girlfriend has a 2007 grand cherokee and we have been having this damn trasnmission over temp thing come up randomly for about a year now so it the "trasmission control module TCM" is that the problem replace that and it will go away?

cfavoright
30

so is the trasmission control module ther problem that will fix it ?? if we fix the TCM it will fix the problem?

CJ1963
230

My fix was replacing the starter and starter wiring harness. According to the dealer the starter and wiring harness is located in such an area where water from rain runs down in it. Eventually this causes the problem with that light coming on and the vehicle not starting. I had the work done in the summer and have not had issues since.

swanie66
20

I have a 2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee. Both while driving and also when it is sitting idle several warning lights will start to flash. little squares will go around the gear indicator and it will flash "transmission overheating". The vehicle will than start to rev very high. If I stop and shut vehicle off it seems to reset itself. Took it to the dealer ...paid big dollars..they said I needed a new Transmission modular controller. The put it in said we were good to go....very next day....boom...same problem. Took it back....the have no answers. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can you help me?

CJ1963
230

My 2007 Grand Cherokee did not ever have an indicator light of "transmission overheating" and did not have the symptoms that you describe. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck....

Jcastiello
60

I have a 2007 jeep GC awd 3.7l. I try to turn it over and just hear a click. New battery so I know that's not the issue. How do I get to that solenoid or "pigtail". My jeep is stuck in a store parking lot so help would be appreciated Cheers

CJ1963
230

Jeep dealership installed the new wiring harness to the starter and a new starter. Since both of those were installed - I have not had an issue. I had another person on this string of conversations confirm for me that the same repair was needed. Evidently, the starter harness/starter is located in an area under the hood that can get deteriorated by water draining. At least this is what I have been told and also read. Mine would just click when I turned the key.

You think this is helpful.
dewns777
50

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm getting the SKIM Indicator coming on and when it comes on it will not start or if driving that is where it sits. It turns over but acts like it is not getting fuel. By reading up on the SKIM all it says is its an electrical issue. I'm not getting any transmission overheat like everyone else is saying. Sometimes it will start right back up but then sometimes it takes days before it will start back up. Ive heard there's some kind of starter control module that could be the issue. I'm not getting any codes either. Everyone here is saying just clean all connections to the starter and solenoid. Don't have money to be guessing so does anyone know what this could possibly be? Please feel free to email me at dewns777@gmail.com.... THANKS

sorndobbler
0

2007 jeep grand Cherokee here. .. dealer wouldn't answer my question about my jeep nit starting and the message. Great info here. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Only info I don't think I see is what each of you actually ended up paying for the real fix. I see where some of u paid large prices for wrong fix. Looking horses to hearing from you all on this

JessicaJeep2007
75

I cannot believe how frustrating my Jeep 2007 grand cherokee is. First time I had this problem-- In Winter of 2012, my car was parked in a parking garage and wouldn't start (late at night) and briefly flashed a transmission over temp message as I was removing the key from the ignition. Had it immediately towed to a dealer (because I still had a limited warranty), and I don't remember exactly what the dealership fixed but the paper work I have from from that fix says "Necessary to repair battery to starter cable to correct" this cost $295 and it seemed to fix what ever the problem was for 2 years. About two months ago (April 2014) the Jeep had the same problem. It had been working just fine and all of a sudden it would not start (no crank, no noise, or anything). It flashed the same message "transmission over temp" when removing the key from the ignition. So I let it sit for about 12 hours. And sure enough in the morning it started. I drove it about 200 miles and about 2 weeks before the SAME problem occurred again. (Transmission over temp, would not start.) So I let it sit for about a week, in another week it started working then once again it stopped. So I had it towed to the dealer. The paper work from that dealer trip says "after touching starter solenoid wire to test for power starts every time now, removed started solenoid wire and clean and tighten as good as possible tried several times and starts every time now." That cost $166. Now (June 2014). Jeep is parked & won't start same message "Transmission over temp." This is BEYOND frustrating, I no longer feel safe in driving my Jeep anywhere. I have always kept up with the maintenance on this car and I would hate to have to get rid of it. What can I do to fix this problem.

clydewater
20

Check the Starter relay under the hood. You can swap out the A/C Clutch relay to see if it starts. Based on research that was a common problem with the 2006 models too. We spent 2 hours last Sat fixing my father's and it was a bad relay that sometimes would work and sometims not. It cost about $18.00 for a new relay. Dealers were USELESS in trying to get the car started. NEVER BUY A JEEP. PURE CRAP!!!! How they are so highly rated is beyond me

CJ1963
230

@Jessica - since I replaced the starter and starter wiring harness or pigtails I guess is what someone referred to them - I have not had the problem. I was having the same issue for several months - with the "transmission over temp" message. According to what I was told at the Jeep dealership - the starter and harness are located in an area under the hood that gets very wet when it rains and this is what leads to the deterioration of the harness and starter......

birotte1
20

My girlfriend has a grand Cherokee 2005 3.7 and having starting issues. After a repair of the valves was done the car was nearly on E and I took it to get gas and after I started experiencing it want to cut off when turning and finally did. After trying to start it over and over it wouldn't and I was smelling a fire smell coming from the starter, is this a reason why it will not start, some one please help!

clr257forgod
10

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee that acts crazy when it's cold. I start it and it runs for up to 7 minutes then cuts off. It goes through this process for about 10 minutes or until it warms up then the same thing once it sits too long and gets cold again. No warning except perform service and dealership can't figure it out.........help please

marketmom
0

CJ1963 answered about a year ago "According to the dealer the starter and wiring harness is located in such an area where water from rain runs down in it. Eventually this causes the problem with that light coming on and the vehicle not starting.".... YES that's the problem. The 2008 does not have a heat shield so the water shorts out the wiring. Our mechanic made a heat shield replaced the burnt wire and it resolved the problem last year. No other action was needed.

SS119
0

I seem to have the issue with my 2007 not starting after I use the factory auto start. previously if I let it sit for awhile and it would start, I used to auto start yesterday tried letting it sit and it still wont start. has anyone else had the issue due to the auto start?

Richard Arrellano
0

If your car won't start and it say transmission temp It is just the wire too The Solenoid on the starter just clean it and do not replace the module it cost me 80$ to have it cleaned start just fine

mallorysue11
10

i have an 06 GC v8 which i bought this time last yr. Had thr trans kver temp message come on several timeS. Several times it sisnt start. Also had a problem of it only going into 3rd gear..drove it in 3rd for a pretty longtime..unfortunately. this is going to sound dumb..but i have figured out how to beat the problem. When you turn your key..most usually do it rather slow..as each...."step" ..its hard to explain..anyways..if you turn it the key fast and just start it fast..all priblems seem to cease. I used to turn the key slow..snd everyime it would go into third gear and shift horribly..or do the trans over temp n not start. it also helps if your key fob is single..anythig else on yor keys can affect it....still waiting for fix after recall letter was sent to me last yr..but for me...turning the key fast fixed it.

mallorysue11
10

Btw..this used to happen everyday..for a solid three..four months...have had no issues all fall and winter...

brandon0725
20

I am having the same issue with my 08 grand Cherokee. Batter is good and I just had the starter and solenoid replaced about a week ago. Some days it starts just fine then later in the day it won't start. I am not getting any warnings on display though. Just clicks once when I try to start it. Anyone have any ideas since I don't have any warnings popping up. Thanks.