Car won't start numerous times then starts like nothing is the matter.

Jakebrake
0

Asked by Jakebrake Oct 17, 2012 at 07:35 PM about the 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 4WD

Hello, I own a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo 3.7L AWD. I began having issues with it not wanting to start as of this past Monday. Over most of the day I tried over and over to start my car with the same results, click. A warning message flashed on my instrument bezel reading "Transmission Over Temp" but my car had been sitting for hours. I looked online and found feedback to this Transmission Over Temp warning message which suggested a defective (TCM) Transmission Control Module. Towards the very later end of that same day I tried one last time to start my car and it started. The next morning, Tuesday, my car started fine then towards the end of Tuesday it again did not want to start. I next checked the OBD error and it read NONE. Then after many more attempts with still no start I checked again my OBD error and it read P0153 which suggests "Invalid SKIM Key". I'm curious if I have two issues now "Transmission Over Temp=TCM replace as well as P0513=Invalid SKIM Key or did the error P0513 come up only because I had rapidly over and over attempted to start my car? After all this my car finally started. Then Wednesday, this morning I couldn't get it to start once again. I'd like to get some more reassuring feedback before I purchase this TCM and attempt to install then reprogram as well as if I truly need to replace my SKIM Key? Now when I check the message P0513 does not come up and it still is not starting. Any thoughts and suggestions will be much appreciated for I am broke and do not have the money to just drove it off at the dealer. I'd really like to do the research and fix it myself if at all possible. Thank you kindly!

6t7gto
150

Jakebrake, I answered your concerns and for some reason it didn't post. Email me ...david102948@aol.com. david

6t7gto
150

That worked! Had Jeep towed to dealer and they wanted $350.00 to replace the starter. Passed on that and brought car home. Removed the starter and had it tested at a starter rebuild shop. It tested fine. He suggested clean all the terminals. I removed the harness from the battery to the starter and had him check it. . He replace a few inches of the yellow wire that actuates the starter solenoid. I cleaned every terminal on the piece of harness. Positive side and negative side. BTW, none of the terminals looked corroded. Jeep is starting just fine, for now. Time will tell. David

Jenny Soukup
130

David, Did you have any other issues with your vehicle? I am experiencing the same transmission over temp issue - my car won't start, and that is the code I see just before I remove the key from the ignition. We had this happen once last winter, then two hours later the car started. We took the vehicle in to get checked and Jeep found nothing amiss. We replaced the transmission 3 months later for a shifting issue. Now, we are having the same issue again, but we have a baby now and are especially nervous about getting stranded. Please let me know if your fix worked, at least for the time being.

6t7gto
150

Jenny, This is my daughter's car and she has not had any problems since. Knock on wood. Good luck. David

Mikey1904
20

I Have A 2000 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo. We Had Problems With It Starting It Would Turn On For About 3 Seconds Then Just Turns Off. Sometimes For Hours. I Took It To A Jeep Dealer And Replaced The Module $550. It's Still Doing The Same Thing. It's Something To Do With The Security Of The Keys And Kill Switch. I Am Going To Sell This Car Because Of My Research. A Lot Of People Are Having The Same Issues. Toyota Camry Here We Come!!

Anniex30
60

I also have a 2000 Laredo. The battery is fine but it's like it's not getting fuel. I've had the fuel pump replaced and the filter changed but to no good. If I let it sit overnight, it'll then start and run fine. I'm sooo sick of this piece of junk.

keywestjason
70

i have a 2007 JGC laredo and it was doing the same (3.7L) it started when using the auto start on the key fob and it wouldnt start. a local mechanic said he pulled the codes and it was a security issue and he reset the codes it and it was fine for 2 weeks then did it again. all lights and dash functions are working, just no turn over. i tried pulling the fuse for the wcm for 30 seconds to reset it but it didnt work. battery shows 12+ volts. so i was reading that the solenoid wire comes loose alot so i wiggled the solenoid wire and IT STARTED. i hosed it down with corrosionX and its been cool all day now. probably corrosion on the connector, theree is very little protecting it from road water n gunk. i also removed the negative wire from battery while doing this so that may have reset the security system as well. not sure which worked. i thought it may be starter but couldn't get to it easily on the ground but i was able to reach the solenoid wire to wiggle it (the starter is buried, you need a lift to get to it.) I hope this helps, also, google TSB 08-007-08 REV. A. that is what i think it may still be, ill repost if it does it again. good luck, jeeps suck when the electrical system goes buggy!

Jenny Soukup
130

We had the pigtails replaced in the starter and so far that has worked. That includes the solenoid wire, which does seem to be the big problem. We had a mechanic swear up and down that it was the wireless module, we told him it does not seem to solve the problem (according to everyone's online feedback), but he pushed us into replacing it, and $600 and 2 weeks later we had the same problem. Don't replace your module - replace the wires in your starter, which they referred to as the pigtail. It cost us $300 to have Jeep do it.

keywestjason
70

wouldn't start again today. i wiggled the solenoid wire and it started. definitely the problem. gonna get it fixed right tomorrow. i hope everyones fix is this simple. frustrating problem. they should not have used a blade connector, a nut n bolt would have been better

CJ1963
80

I have a 2007 Jeep Grand Cherokee - just purchased it in December. First time it left me stranded was about a month ago. Wouldnt start, "transmission over temp" flashed. My son jiggled something in the fuse box and it started. Three weeks later, same thing, same transmission over temp flashed, wouldnt start for several hours. Let it sit overnight and it started. I took it to my mechanic who has been trying to repeat the problem for about a week. I called the dealer where I purchased it, who referred me to the jeep dealer they do business with in Annapolis. I called them jeep dealer, the service manager told me that the "transmission over temp" will ALWAYS flash for a split second when the car won't start. I'm bringing the jeep in to his shop Monday morning. He said that it is his belief that the wiring to the solenoid / starter is most likely the issue. I asked him if it was the wiring what am I looking at in terms of cost - $400-$500 - which seems steep. Has anyone on this blog resolved their problem? If so, how?

Jenny Soukup
130

Yes, we did exactly that. No further issues. Good luck!

CJ1963
80

Jenny thanks! So you fixed the wiring then?

Jenny Soukup
130

Yes, the solenoid. They also referred to it as the pigtail.

6t7gto
150

I have had numerous emails about how to fix this issue. I will post it again.... Had the Jeep towed to dealer and they wanted $350.00 to replace the starter. Passed on that and brought car home. Removed the starter and had it tested at a starter rebuild shop. It tested fine. He suggested clean all the terminals. I removed the harness from the battery to the starter and had him check it. . He replaced a few inches of the yellow wire that actuates the starter solenoid. I cleaned every terminal on the piece of harness. Positive side and negative side. BTW, none of the terminals looked corroded. Jeep is starting just fine, for now. Time will tell. David

cfavoright
10

my girlfriend has a 2007 grand cherokee and we have been having this damn trasnmission over temp thing come up randomly for about a year now so it the "trasmission control module TCM" is that the problem replace that and it will go away?

cfavoright
10

so is the trasmission control module ther problem that will fix it ?? if we fix the TCM it will fix the problem?

CJ1963
80

My fix was replacing the starter and starter wiring harness. According to the dealer the starter and wiring harness is located in such an area where water from rain runs down in it. Eventually this causes the problem with that light coming on and the vehicle not starting. I had the work done in the summer and have not had issues since.

swanie66
10

I have a 2008 Diesel Grand Cherokee. Both while driving and also when it is sitting idle several warning lights will start to flash. little squares will go around the gear indicator and it will flash "transmission overheating". The vehicle will than start to rev very high. If I stop and shut vehicle off it seems to reset itself. Took it to the dealer ...paid big dollars..they said I needed a new Transmission modular controller. The put it in said we were good to go....very next day....boom...same problem. Took it back....the have no answers. Has anyone else experienced this problem? Can you help me?

CJ1963
80

My 2007 Grand Cherokee did not ever have an indicator light of "transmission overheating" and did not have the symptoms that you describe. Sorry I couldn't be more helpful. Good luck....

Jcastiello
10

I have a 2007 jeep GC awd 3.7l. I try to turn it over and just hear a click. New battery so I know that's not the issue. How do I get to that solenoid or "pigtail". My jeep is stuck in a store parking lot so help would be appreciated Cheers

CJ1963
80

Jeep dealership installed the new wiring harness to the starter and a new starter. Since both of those were installed - I have not had an issue. I had another person on this string of conversations confirm for me that the same repair was needed. Evidently, the starter harness/starter is located in an area under the hood that can get deteriorated by water draining. At least this is what I have been told and also read. Mine would just click when I turned the key.

You think this is helpful.
dewns777
10

I have a 2003 Jeep Grand Cherokee and I'm getting the SKIM Indicator coming on and when it comes on it will not start or if driving that is where it sits. It turns over but acts like it is not getting fuel. By reading up on the SKIM all it says is its an electrical issue. I'm not getting any transmission overheat like everyone else is saying. Sometimes it will start right back up but then sometimes it takes days before it will start back up. Ive heard there's some kind of starter control module that could be the issue. I'm not getting any codes either. Everyone here is saying just clean all connections to the starter and solenoid. Don't have money to be guessing so does anyone know what this could possibly be? Please feel free to email me at dewns777@gmail.com.... THANKS

sorndobbler
0

2007 jeep grand Cherokee here. .. dealer wouldn't answer my question about my jeep nit starting and the message. Great info here. Thanks to everyone for sharing. Only info I don't think I see is what each of you actually ended up paying for the real fix. I see where some of u paid large prices for wrong fix. Looking horses to hearing from you all on this