Has anyone had a problem with sudden or involuntary acceleration on the Kia Forte. This has happened twice with our 2011 Kia Forte, both times having foot on the brake and putting car in park.

Florida12
20

Asked by Florida12 Jan 06, 2012 at 06:23 AM about the 2011 Kia Forte EX

We are currently in contact with  a representative from the Kia corporate offices and they say they have had no recalls or prior reports of sudden acceleration on any of their vehicles.  From the postings on this site, that statement appears to be untrue.  Our next step is to file a claim in the state of Florida under the Lemon Law.  

We have had the car have inspected and tested on Kia's diagnostic equiptment 3 times (at 2 different Kia dealerships) for the acceleration issue and every time, they say they can find nothing wrong with the vehicle.

Also, on several occasions we have experienced the car "lurching" forward while driving or slowing for a stop.  The sudden acceleration issue has resulted in 2 instances of damage to the vehicle when the car suddenly accelerated on it's own, while having a foot on the brake and putting the car into park (after pulling into a parking space).  Both times the car jumped the curb and the brakes would not hold.  The first time the brakes didn't stop the car until they were slammed down on twice.  The second time it happened, the car finally stopped after hitting a tree.  

I have told Kia this car is dangerous and causing life threatening problems, but their representative's response is, "the only way a car can accelerate is if you put your foot on the gas".    Hopefully we can get rid of this car before something terrible happens.  The car is less than 6 months old and has less than 2,100 miles on it.  We do not want to sell or trade this car in because we do not want someone else to have these horrible problems with this car...it is a life threatening danger and hazard to the roadways and anyone driving it .

Manoli Manolis
25

Even if the representative does not help you you shoult change the acceleration petal even if you pay for it atleast you are ging to be safe.From what i know a lot of car makers had alot of acceleration proplems some of them recalled the vehicles for exp toyota and nissan bud some of them did not.So my idea is pay for the part and have it replaced for your safety only.

Florida12
20

Thanks for your response Manoli, but I don't think the problem is the accelerator pedal, more than likely it's a problem with the computer system or some type of malfunction with a technical component of the vehicle. The issues Toyota had were a little different than this..most of their's were happening while the drivers were operating their cars at medium to high speeds, not while the driver had their foot on the brake while putting the car into park. I will ask them to check out the gas pedal though, just in case.

John Egan
20

I had the exact same problem--minutes ago my 2011 Forte crashed into my parkade wall.

John Egan
20

email me please: john dot egan at gmail dot com

Best Answer
SandyGr
55

My 2010 KIA SOUL which we bought from the dealer fully reconditioned used (one year ago), took off from a dead stop at a stop light with my foot on the brake when I began to release the brake to move forward. I was a car length behind the pickup in front of me and my KIA Soul jetted SO FAST, it shook and made this high pitched screaming sound, on it's own that it "slammed forward" into the pickup in front of me. After impact, I couldn't stop the car from continuing to push into the pickup which pushed into the car in front of him and that one into the next car in front, but when I slammed "my KIA" transmission into PARK, it continued to push and I could only get it to stop by turning off the key! The RPM's were as high as they could go on the dial and so was the speedometer, they were buried on the dial. I've never had a ticket or an accident and I am a very responsible and honorable working citizen and wife and mother of 42 years. I was merely in town, one mile from home, driving to my mother's house. The traffic was extremely heavy and none of us were going over 35 MPH in a 40 MPH zone when we slowed and stopped for a light after a long and slow drive down a hill. I was about the 10th car in a row from the light with stopped traffic behind and in front of me. The impact caused severe seatbelt bruising and my left foot hit the brake pedal which I was trying to "BRAKE" and also my left foot (which had been comfortably resting) hit the ridge of the fender well on the floorboard where you can rest your left foot on. My foot has some issues but it is not broken. I also have sinus infection from the chemicals of the airbag. NO ONE came to my aid but to the others. I got myself out of my car and ran to the others apologizing and showing great concern for all others involved. No one else was hurt badly. I had (and still have) full coverage insurance however not PIP coverage on me (at the time but I do NOW) and my Drs offices' are scared to treat me even though I have confirmation from my Blue X Blue Shield that they will in fact cover the medical costs since I did not have PIP insurance for myself at the time. (My injuries are all still pending since the accident was recent on July 20th (2013) and it is now Aug 12th, 2013). I also have muscle separation from the seatbelt (thank heavens it works!) and hemotoma. I have been treated at an urgency care clinic recently but in another state since I was destined for a trip 6 days after the accident anyway. My insurance co., has totaled the KIA since it has massive front end damage including the engine was pushed into the firewall and the frame of the car was bent and cannot be repaired however they cannot "completely" payoff the loan so I am stuck with the remaining cost of the loan. I WILL NOT be purchasing ANY KIA at all in the future, of any size and model even though I loved my KIA for around town and it saved alot on gas but not it didn't get what it said it would get. It got 20-22 MPG around town. I never took it out of town. I will stick with an American made car and one that is big and trustworthy! We own a Chrysler Pacifica for a second car, at least it is reliable and that is what I will drive for now, the heck with trying to save a few bucks for mileage! I have contacted the KIA dealership and they said without them researching the problem of which someone would have to pay for the tow and "pay" for them to do the research, they would not be able to help me!!!!! GEEE...do you think they might find a problem with their car??? I doubt it! Obviously the Insurance company owns the car now! SandyG@outlook.com

Tom Sanfilippo
0

Same thing happened to us just yesterday attempting to park our 2012 KIA Sportage. Airbag Deployed and all while having a foot on the brake!

heycanada
10

My daughter had the same problems twice. Kia Forte less than 4 months old. She lives in Canada and we are contacting a lawyer for legal advice and possible class action lawsuit. Between the repairs and the insurance increase she is in the hook for more than $12000. Anyone from Canada to start a class action Lawsuit?

Tayia
10

I am experiencing problems except my 2012 forte is actually stopping while I am driving and I am having to press on the brakes twice to get it to move it actually jerks the car forward as it stops the other day it stopped as I was driving almost a complete stop it decelerated as I am going down hill and I have had it at Crain Kia twice now they said it was the brake line switch and repaired that I again had problems the very next day and took it back to them. I also have had brakes and rotors gone bad as well as a blown head gasket in which they had to call the main company to find that out because they could not find out from diagnostic testing what was wrong with the car. I have 30,000 miles on my car and have had it 7 months

heycanada
10

Tayia, Do you live in Canada? I am already in contact with Kia Canada and will NOT let go.

You think this is helpful.