In the wake of Hurricane Sandy; how can I tell if a car has water damage?

Karen Lynn
0

Asked by Karen Nov 12, 2012 at 01:02 PM about the 2011 MINI Cooper Clubman Base

I am looking for a used mini cooper clubman with automatic and low milage. I want to make sure the in no water
damage.

Robert Charlson
2,185

Carfax would be your best bet for making sure a vehicle wasn't damaged in any way.

John Leone
3,845

carfax accounts for documented damage, such as insurance claims...a good wash/detail removes water marks, the best way to confirm water damage is by looking in the transmission fluid/having it changed, if water was high enough to enter the trans breather then no good.....and noone thinks to check or change it.

Michael Branan
1,595

Check the engine bay for water marks, or discoloration. Get down and look beneath the vehicle for anything out of the ordinary. Sniff the carpet. If there was any standing water, the insulation will still be damp, which will cause mold. The mold will emit an odor. Your best bet is to look for a vehicle outside of flooded areas. Combine that with a Carfax and you will be in good shape.

John Leone
3,845

michael, most respectable detailers use an ionizer, which kills all mold, smells (cigarettes) and moisture!!!!!!!!!:( thats why the only complete way is the only thing noone thinks to touch.....the trans...

Michael Branan
1,595

The presumption is that Karen is not buying from a dealer. I don't.