2005 Chrysler 300 2.7L throttle body Control warning light or "RED LIGHTNING BOLT", with no check engine codes.

MrFixit23
20

Asked by MrFixit23 Aug 07, 2014 at 11:15 PM about the 2005 Chrysler 300 Base

Ok Car Gurus I need all of your help. I have a 2005 Chrysler 300 2.7 L. and my car
randomly goes into limp mode ( RED LIGHTNING BOLT) but is throwing no check engine
codes to provide any clues as to what it actually going on. I've even taken it to the
Chrysler dealership and had them do a vehicle inspection and check for stored codes with
no avail, the only thing that they were able to conclude was that the throttle body is not
closing all the way. What happens is when I start the car the red lightning bolt comes on,
but if i rev the engine to 4000 RMP and slowly release the gas pedal it goes away and the
vehicle will drive fine. Even if I shut off the engine and restart  it right away it still works
fine with no issues. However, if I start the car and do not rev the engine the red lightning
bolt starts flashing and the car gets stuck in limp mode or second gear. So far I have
replaced the throttle body, and PCM as well as had it flashed and relearned, Spark plugs,
and the EGR valve. At this point I have no idea what else it could be. Hopefully someone
has had or are familiar with this issue and can shed light on the situation.

BoholMark
22,845

I see a a priest and holy water in your future. The damn thing is possessed!

Deathjam4
2,725

This is commanoly a problem with the throttle body sensor. if you had replaced the entire throttle body chances are you replaced the sensor. but if you hadn't replace it and it should fix the issue. if the sensor is new try checking the plugs contacts and check the wire for any heat damage or melting and fraying.

MrFixit23
20

I did replace the entire throttle body and I taped the wires with electrical tape any other suggestions?

Deathjam4
2,725

sorry for the long replay but i did a little more looking around and found a more intuative discussion board that may help you out. It would seem it is most likely a engine computer issue. Try looking over this link im sending and it might help more then i can as it seems the person had some like wise issues with his car as your model. http://repairpal.com/dealer-and-chrysler-llc-cant-diagnose-problem-002

MrFixit23
20

Thanks very much I will keep you updated with my progress.

Andy Schott
0

Did you find a fix?

MrFixit23
20

Hey Andy, it's been almost a month now of driving without any issues and after 2 weeks at the dealership they finally figured it out. It was in fact the PCM. Furtunatly for me the PCM was completly covered under warranty by the company I had previously purchased my replaclement from, All Computer Resources and I was able to get it replaced at no additional charge. This experience has taught me a very valuable lesson and that lesson is sometimes we can do everything right but forget the most important thing, parts can sometimes just be defective. Always double check your parts and if you have a warranty use it! It feels great to be back on the road hopes this helps others struggling to solve this difficult problem.

Edwin Valdez
10

Mr fixit im having the same problem you had, So far i replace the e.g.r valve ,the seal and gasket for the upper e.g.r tube ,spark plugs ...2 days passed and it would seem like i nailed it ,then this morning i start the car and on goes that miserable etc light...another thing.. i dont if you experience the same thing i have because whenever we had really cold weather it would do it more frequently..... hopefully is the pcm and i can stop throwing money at it

Deathjam4
2,725

read over the link i posted and it should help you out in this problem. Seems most problem solvers was a complete replacement of the computers from the factory directly. also the catyletic seems to go bad in these cars due to the engine miss fires and problems the egr throws out.