Can my truck pull a fifth wheel?

Asked by koslund Aug 10, 2014 at 07:55 PM about the 2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 Work Truck 4WD

I have a 2011 4x4 Chevy Silverado, 1500 reg cab, long box. Axle ratio is 3.42. Factory installed trans cooling package. Build sheet says I can tow max of 9800lbs, with a GCWR of 15000. My wife wants a new fifth wheel camper with a dry weight of 7600lbs. The plan is to travel across the country and spend time in our National Parks. Will the truck handle the long distance pulling?

Do yourself a favor. If your going to do that much traveling, get a one ton diesel dully. Pulling a 5th wheeler zig zaging a cross the country really requires that kind of stability. Plus the fuel mileage will be about 1/3 better.

Remember the real reason for making pick-up trucks. Hauling and towing large loads. Over the years the smaller trucks became a fad bought by suburbanites that wanted to wear stetson hats, boots and large belt buckles. They wanted to look good in their macho trucks, so demanded chrome, then softer seats, power windows, leather, carpets, an the trucks evolved into a six passenger/five passenger luxury vehicle that most people turned back in for a new one without dents or scratches. Short story, if you look at most construction vehicles, they are either 3/4 ton or one ton vehicles. They are designed to carry daily weight and or tow heavy loads. It's summer, go out on the highway and observe most 5th wheel pick-up trucks are either one ton dual diesel trucks or a step just below. The 1/2 ton comes with a tow package to help get the bass boat to the lake or little camper with the truck bed filled with coolers and Huffy bicycles. Your asking your truck to do a heavy duty job, but it's really designed to carry mowers and blowers, or drive to the movie theaters. Almost all the pick-up trucks I see on the side of the roadway when I travel are the 1/2 ton trucks towing a big 5th wheeler and they have the hood up, steam coming out of the engine, kids and wife in the ditch, and a tow truck on the way. Follow the advice from above and get a larger truck designed for the work you want it to do. Then you can enjoy Yellowstone, Zion, the Bad Lands or the mountain settings in peace.

Oh don't forget to get a National Parks Pass, it will get you in to all the national parks, and you save a lot of money there also. Enjoy you new truck. You'll also find good used ones set up for towing that are turned in and are or were not abused, scratched or dented, just line dancing music on the radio. Generally if it is a rental turn in, chances are it will be low mileage, well maintained, and set up for what you need.

you can do it if you get air damper springs to help avoid bottoming out, as well as getting a performance cooling system . Be sure to buy a performance tested radiator fan and also a vented hood for your truck this will increase airflow but thus providing more power but also help keep that engine cool at trailering speeds.

Mr. Koslund, what have you decided? I really recommend you look at some of the rental turned in trucks for great prices and deals. Maybe even a private party purchase. Don't forget to get an extended warranty. One transmission job or A/C job will be in the four figure range.

After spending many hours researching the tow vehicles, I decided to go with a 2500 diesel. Hated to go thru buying another truck but I want to be able to pull the fifth wheel without destroying the 1/2 ton. Thanks to everyone who responded to my question. I have picked up my National Park Senior Pass for the first time. Have bought the yearly pass for 70 dollars a year for the last 15 years. This time, on my 62nd birthday the Senior pass cost me 10 dollars for the rest of my life. Thanks again for all the advise.

You will enjoy many years traveling. We have seen almost all the National parks West of the Rockies and a few on the other side of the Continental divide. $10.00 total cost. You also will enjoy the diesel. Read up on the care and maintenance of you new truck. You will enjoy several 100s of thousand of miles of care free driving. My brother is a cross country truck driver and he is meticulous on his care and scheduled maintenance, and he gets about 2.5 million out of his trucks before trading them in and getting what he paid for them on the trade due to his care. Make sure you have a winter fuel tank heater for your fuel and add the diesel additive if you do any below freezing driving. Don't forget to mark the best answer so someone will get some point credit for responding. That's a thank you we like.

Congratulations on your decision I hope that your truck will much reliability for the roads ahead. Good luck Mr. Koslund.