2006 chryler 300 3.5 want stay started.

srobertlaw2003
0

Asked by srobertlaw2003 May 13, 2014 at 10:27 PM about the 2006 Chrysler 300 Touring

car will crank and start for 1-2 seconds then dies and want crank up unless I put it in
neutral and shift back to park then it cranks and runs but when you hit the gas all way to
floor it want down shift into a lower passing gear, even if u try to manually shift it. you turn
the car off and have to repeat the same process. anyone have any ideas whats wrong?

20,755

That kinda sounds like the gear selector sensor part of the selector switch is not set properly or is going bad. Is the check engine light on?

srobertlaw2003
0

yes it is. also the lights on the selector goes off and on as I select through the gears.

20,755

Get the codes, that should tell you where to go next. most major parts stores can do this and it's usually free.

srobertlaw2003
0

ya just wished it would crank and drive or id done that.

srobertlaw2003
0

ok let me give the full details. ive had this car for 1 week. for that week it has been driven to the gulf 386 miles with no problems until almost home and lights head lights go off and on then car goes dead. cranked car back up with no more problems drove all the way home. then i went and washed the car about 3 miles from home then on way back home it dies. i coast to a stop. crank car drive home. I then begin to check things and find the neg cable is real dirty from acid build up. i clean the cable and drive car a few more times and it begins to crank or turn over for 2-3 seconds then goes dead want crank all day yesterday. then i get home today and car cranks fine. im scared to drive it cause i dont wonna get stranded and since car was as is from lander mcclarty dodge im shure they want tow it for fix it. im at a loss as what to do. also when turning the ignition switch it seems i have to turn it all way to right seems more than usual before it catches to crank.

20,755

Do you have a good mobile mechanic in your area? Most of them include a half hour labor in their service call fee, that might be the way to go as he might find your problem really quick or have a better alternative with where you live. It sounds like a connection problem somewhere, could be a voltage drop on on of the cables, really hard to say without an eyes on.

srobertlaw2003
0

man I wished i could afford to take it to a mechanic atm. i just spent 1300 down payment on the car then rent and made a trip to gulfshore's to visit family. sigh I cant get a break.

20,755

Did by chance the place you brought it have a simple warranty like a 30 day or something like that?

srobertlaw2003
0

no it was the tipical as is type thing.

20,755

Bummer, do you know anyone that likes to work on cars as a hobby? Maybe they might have an OBD 2 tester they can loan you or know someone that can help cheap.

srobertlaw2003
0

ya the check engine light never came on. as originally thought. it would only come on as the ignition switch was turned on then off after it would crank.

20,755

The only thing I can say is get your wire brush and emery cloth and try to find every bolt on connection and make sure it is corrosion free and tight. Do you know how to do a flash out code on your car? It is not the best way to get the codes but it can give you a starting place, if there is a voltage problem in the computer controls.