Elantra '11 realistic gas milage

KC7EAV
0

Asked by Mar 15, 2011 at 01:58 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Elantra Limited

I am serious about purchasing this auto, but I am confused just what to  expect for
gas milage.  There are many reviews, but they differ greatly in numbers.  What is
the best and worst anyone has really experienced?
thanx, Bob

kennz2009
0

i just got a 2012 elantra and now i am wishing i never did get it, my best mpg with all miles being on the highway is 28, my wife has a 2008 elantra and she is getting around 30,

zeus01
0

I rented a 2011 Elantra (automatic transmission, good luck finding a manual trans at a rental outlet) in London, Ontario, Canada a couple of weeks back. I filled the tank to the top of the filler neck, set the tripodometer to zero and then drove the car as I normally would, ie: no hypermiling, no insanely agressive driving habits, just moving along with the flow at typical speeds on secondary routes of around 80 to 90 kms per hour. There were a very few short trips on the main highway at 100 to 110 km/hr (60-70mph) and even fewer incidences of city stop-and-go driving. Also, this driving was not all at once with an already-warm engine but rather, to-and-from work, some leisurely drives after work, etc. Over the two days I consumed over 1/2-tank of gas. I then returned to the same gas station and same pump at the same time of day as the original fill-up and about the same ambient temp. I recorded the kms driven, filled the tank back up to the top of the filler neck and recorded the liters of fuel delivered. After crunching the numbers and then converting kms per liter into miles per IMPERIAL gallon (which are larger than U.S. gallons) I arrived at 35.8 miles per Imperial gallon. This works out to about 29.8 miles per U.S. gallon. I'm not sure what the gearing is with the 6-speed manual vs. the automatic, but assuming the usual figures it's likely that with the manual transmission I could have seen 40 miles per imperial gallon or 33 miles per U.S. gallon. Hyper-miling techniques with an already-warm engine and all driving done in that one trip rather than broken up *might* have yielded 48 mpg (imperial) or around 42 mpU.S.g. But here in Canada the Hyundai dealerships are proclaiming in big yellow letters on the side of their Elantras a whopping 58 mpg(!). They are LYING to us. And if they're also claiming 58 miles per gallon at U.S. dealerships they're guilty of an even bigger version of the same lie. From an engineering standpoint the 148 hp engine, combined with the size and weight of the car, acceleration figures and interpolating the gearing with said figures the 58 mpg just doesn't add up. True, engines are more efficient than they used to be. But from a Basic Specific Fuel Consumption (BSFC) calculation the 58 mpg is sketchy even with the most carefully-doctored manufacturer test environment. And for ever day driving it's a complete fallacy. Furthermore, reports from buyers here that I know have discovered that the dealers in our area go very far out of their way to avoid telling you the real price of the car. Instead, they say "100 a week" or something of that nature. Trying to get these weasels to come clean is an exercise in futility. High demand = high greed I guess. Would I still buy a 2011-12 Elantra? Absolutey. They're an awesome car, and 40 miles per Imperial gallon hwy is excellent for a car of that size and hp class. But I'd negotiate the out-the door price online beforehand, print/save a copy of the online correspondence and then present a copy when picking the car up. If they bait and switch I sue the bastards. .

zeus01
0

One more thing: the rental car in the previous post had over 2000 kms on the odometer, which is far enough beyond the break-in period to provide long-term accurate mpg figures. Fuel economy during the break-in period of new engines is less than it is once break-in has been achieved.

BadGirl
85

The 2011 Hyundai Elantra has 3 recalls already and many service bulletins. I would NOT recommend.