oil leaks

ray09
0

Asked by ray09 Apr 02, 2009 at 09:25 AM about the 1995 Cadillac Seville STS

my 95 sts has an oil leak ive got the oil pan down and the gasket to replace it but since i have the engine out i wanted to check the other seals. what other ones could be bad?

Matthew Enos
85

Well First off congratulations on taking out the motor and doing it yourself!!! I believe your vehicle has the 4.6L cadillac northstar engine in it. If it does you might notice how the crankcase is split up into three sections. The oil pan, the lower crankcase, and the upper crankcase. Make sure you check the seal between upper and lower half, oil has a tendency to seep out there as well. Also if you disturbed the front timing cover replace the front crankshaft seal as well as the timing cover gasket. Take a peek at the rear main seal while it's out, it also leaks from time to time. One more word of warning, if you remove the main bolts get ALL NEW ones, they have a tendency of breaking coming out and going in. Good luck and best wishes!!

Matthew Sprenger
55

Congrats for taking it out! Its never had to have timeserts but in the block or headgasket job WOW! Rear main seal is a must, valve cover gasket set, front cover gasket, and split crank housing gaskets, The 4.6L seaps alot of oil from the block because of the aluminum they used for casting the block.