Police says my Brake Lights are out, But I beg to differ!

Alicia Johnson
0

Asked by Alicia May 13, 2014 at 11:56 PM about the 1995 Cadillac Eldorado Base Coupe

Mine is a 95 Cadillac Eldorado has 30,000 miles on it. Clean! one question, my brake lights work fine. But the other day I got stopped by a dumb ass cop who said they were out, keep in mind it was bright as day outside at this time. So I was like ok. When I went into my garage, being it's dark in my garage, my automatic lights turned. I got out of my car and what do you know! My brake lights are on! And when pressed on the brake pedal they get brighter as well. When I backed out of the garage in the daylight of course the automatic lights turned off, but this time I pressed to button for my lights to come on and STILL..my brake lights work! So the reason for me writing this is to ask if anyone knows that the feature for the tail light brake lights to not be on during the daylight and only the brake light in the back window to be on during daylight is a feature thats normal? Like is it a feature that Cadillac made to save energy?

23,645

Brake lights are separate from tail lights, the dim light you saw was your tail lights, your brake lights are bright and should come on everytime you step on the brake pedal and stay on until you release the brake pedal. Don't get confused about tail light and brake lights they are 2 different systems. Your car does not have a system that will turn off the brake lights in daylight. So what the officer most likely didn't account for was at certain times of the day with the sun in the right spot brake light will look like they aren't on when in fact they are.

bobkat
3,415

As a side note, it is assumed you do not have the after market 'smoke' lenses on your lights. The other thing is to check the bulbs. Not all tail light bulbs are the same. Brake light bulbs ARE different. And make sure that you have the correct ones with the proper level of brightness. Does your car have the third brake light? Make sure it also has the proper bulb.

Alicia Johnson
0

@Bobkat& @tennisshoes Well after further inspection. The tail lighs do come on when I turn on the headlights and when I'm driving at night, but the brake lights are not showing when I brake. So would brake light bulbs be different than the tail light bulbs? Even though they are in the same housing unit?

23,645

No they are the same bulb just a different filament, but your third eye brake light is all by itself, the problem might be your brake light switch, do your turn signals function properly? If they do then turn on your 4 way hazards when they start flashing step on the brake pedal, the flashers should stop flashing and just stay on as long as you are stepping on the pedal, if they continue to flash then you either have a bad brake light switch or a broken wire in the main power supply to or from the switch. Release the brakes, turn off the 4 ways then continue with repairs.