3/4 ton vs 1/2 suburban

Deepfish
0

Asked by Deepfish Mar 27, 2011 at 11:55 AM about the 2011 Chevrolet Suburban LTZ 1500 4WD

I am planning to buy a new Suburban and am torn between the 1/2 ton and 3/4 ton.  I have an 04 3/4 ton now and love the autoride suspension that is not available on the new 3/4 ton (is available on the 1/2 ton only).  I need to tow my boat that weights about 8500- 9000 lbs on occasion (3-6 times a year).  Does anyone know if there is a way to beef up the suspension to make the 1/2 ton capable of towing this ? ie: added air bags to manual assist or other ideas.

justinzaso19
25

Your better off buying a 3/4 ton. It will make it easy to tow your boat around.

Eric Fritz
535

depends on how far you have to pull it. if it's more than 20 miles or it's hilly, go with the 3/4 ton. I occasionally pull that much with my 1/2 ton burb, but it really dogs in the hills. As far as the suspension goes, if you get a burb that's 2000 and up and is LT trim or up, it will come standard with the nivomat auto leveling hydraulic suspension (not autoride, that was an option.) You can buy spring loaded shocks to help out though if it doesn't have the nivomat or autoride.