Will my 2011 Hyundai Veracruz sustain any drive train damage if I replace the right rear tire with a new Michelin with tread depth of 13/32, if the left rear tire has between 6 & 8/32 /

Sarge2g7
0

Asked by Sarge2g7 Jul 08, 2013 at 11:40 PM about the 2011 Hyundai Veracruz GLS AWD

Left rear Michelin sustained non repairable damage due to a road hazard.  The car and
tires have 28000 miles on them.  The three tires on the car have between 6 & 8/32
tread depth.  A new tire identical to the OEM tires has 13/32.  Local tire dealer is
telling me that I need 4 new tires all the same size due to all wheel drive and potential
drive train damage.  The vehicle has a 100K warranty, would the warranty be voided?
Most importantly, will the drive train be damaged?

Lars Cats
2,615

I'd recommend to keep tires on one axle at around the same tread depth, this is more to do with tire performance in wet conditions than anything else, after all you don't want on wheel doing its own thing and potentially cause you to skid out. I don't believe there will be any drive train damage, there are three differentials to pick up the difference in rotational speed between the wheels: one on each axle to negate the difference on between both wheels on it and one between the front and rear axle. The ony times I ever saw any problems with drive trains due to a mix of old and new tires was with a Mercedes GD250, but tht had been running with all its differentials locked on the road.