Why will my 1999 Cadillac not start after I put a battery on it. It is getting no fuel.

jillblessing
50

Asked by jillblessing Jun 25, 2007 at 05:34 PM about the 1999 Cadillac DeVille Base Sedan

I had a dead battery and now that I have replaced it, there is no fuel.  You can spray starting fluid to start it, but it will not pump on its on.  Please help!

19,155

Check the fuel pump and fuel pump regulator.

jillblessing
50

We have checked both the fuel pump and the regulator, and both are ok. It seems to be something to do with the theft system needing to be reset or something. It says on the dash...car may not restart. I have cleaned the keys and the cylinder. It is unusual that they happened at the same time. Thanks for any info! Jill

Dave Johannes
115

It might be a problem with the fuel pump electrical relays, not with any of the mechanical parts themselves. I know my generation ('94-'95) has that problem. The wires overheat and melt, and thus so it interrupts proper functioning of the fuel system. That might also be why your security lockdown system is kicking in, it might be reading it as someone trying to hotwire the fuel pump so then you can actually hotwire the ignition (or something). I don't know the exact details, but if you go on www.cadillacforums.com, someone on there might be of great assistance.

Dave Johannes
115

In fact, it might not even be a problem with the fuel system, but just with the security system. It disables the fuel system when triggered... That probably better explains the lockdown message.

Bergy
180

With a fully charged battery, turn the key on for at least 10 minutes, then turn it off and back on for at least another 10 minutes, then turn it off and back on for another 10 minutes, then turn it off and try to start it. It worked for me today. The car had a dead battery, and a bad alternator, when it came in my shop, and also said: theft system problem, car may not restart. Good luck !

Demetrice
10

My 1999 cadillac deville wont start radio on but no dash light