my car wont star WHY?

Troy Cross
5

Asked by Troy Aug 02, 2013 at 03:00 PM about the 2000 Cadillac Eldorado ESC Coupe

i have a 2000 cadillac eldorado ESC im having starting problems. ITs not the alternator or
the battery had them both checked out. over night my car dies completely wont start but
when i get a boost it works all day. what could possibly be the problem? When the car is
off my windows, windshield wipers and radio all have power when the key is not in the
ignition.

Fordtudor37
4,005

Does the OBD II read any codes ? The key should only allow power to everything when in "Accessories or Run" position. Check the "key" switch and the Ignition shift lock module. If you look underneath the dash board, just below the dash/column mount and above the floorboard/column mount, you will see an electrical switch (top side of column) that is activated by the key switch "rod" when turned to "Run" or "Accessories". There will be two sets of wires connected to this switch which allows operation of the vehicle. I would say one of these switches is broken and out of alignment causing your issue.

Best Answer
Troy Cross
5

should i get a jump before looking at this?

Fordtudor37
4,005

You need the battery charged enough to run the test, so either "jump it" or put a "charger" on it until it has the power. YOU DO NOT NEED to start the car to run the test in "Run" the key just needs to be in that "position" on the column switch (Key On, Engine Off).