S light on Dashboard panel surrounded by circle/gear shape & other questions

gspeedy
45

Asked by Dec 12, 2010 at 06:01 PM about the 2001 Cadillac Catera 4 Dr STD Sedan

Hi,
I just bought a 2001 Catera sport 135,000 last week.
Today I had to call triple AA to start the battery which was new in May. The AAA man indicated that he was concerned about a possible fuel pump problem, but it did start after charging the battery.
The speedometer is broken-the seller said it needs a new sensor, but the mechanic he used told me he had already replaced it and informed the seller.
The "S" just came on after the AAA man came to help me. It is surrounded by a circle that looks like a gear.
Any information and advice is needed and welcome!
Thank you

gspeedy
45

I should add: The mechanic who worked on it in the past said it might need a mass airflow sensor. I am worried about cost (like most of us today) due to family health issues. Any info you have is appreciated! I do actually like the car and how it drives-just wish the seller had been honest about the speed sensor fixing the speedometer. Mechanic said the seller totally lied. Sigh... It will all work out. Thanks in advance for your help!

engineer1701
160

I have a 1997 Catera and I love mine as well. Based on your description the S you are referring to is on the dash board, maybe on the speedometer dial, if so, the switch is on top of the gear shift knob. This is what is called the Sport Mode for the Catera. If I am not mistaken, it changes some shift points in the transmission, and I think that it modifies the suspension response if you have the automatic leveling. Contact a local Cadillac dealer for further details.

JDOBMW325es
65

The 'S' you discribe must surely be the Sport Mode on light, which is turned on and off by the button on top of the shift lever. Must likely problems with a battery issue like that would probably be an alternator problem, or simply a poor electrical connection.