BMW DURABILTY

YOUNG_MAN_12
0

Asked by YOUNG_MAN_12 Mar 25, 2009 at 10:27 PM about the 2006 BMW 7 Series 750i

would it be smart buying a bmw 7 series with about 100,000miles already on it? i heard they are so reliable they wont die out till 200k-250kmiles?

any thoughts?

Chase Sutherland
3,325

how much is the question. is it worth the $2k-$3k youre about to put into it for the high miles maintenance youre about to do if you get it

reefman13
165

Chase makes a very blunt comment. The durability of the car really depends on how well it has been maintained over the years and what sort of driver has been using it. However, whenever planning on buying a car in that sort of bracket you need to factor in, just in case, about $2k for repairs that the dealer may recomend having done. My $0.02...

Vince Lee
925

I have owned 9 BMWs and two of them are 740iL(e38). I must say they are all only good for 120,000km and this has nothing to do with the level of maintenance you put in. The $3-4k annual repair cost is a real understatement for the 7 series cars. They are extremely consistent in what would break down and at what mileages, if that is any consolation.

You think this is helpful.
reefman13
165

Vince you have clearly been taking the car to BMW service centres every time the car has a problem which is a big fault. Once a car no longer has a factory warranty on it, it is a waste of money bringing it back to the dealer. One thing I can say is that they DEFINETLY do more than 80,000 miles in their life time. My cousin has had 3 (1997, 2000, 2006) all had 170k on them before he got rid of them. (He was living 50 miles from his work place when he bought the '97).

Vince Lee
925

Of course my 740iL will last for another 80-120k km, since it has got new radiator, alternator, heat valve, valley seal, various suspension arms/bushings, minor rust repairs (in Canada they use salt on the pavement), and a rebuilt transmission! As long as I "keep up" with the "maintenance", I am sure all BMWs can last indefinitely - it is really a judgement call whether you want to spend the money this way or on a far less expensive to maintain Lexus LS series and be bored to death. I use independent ex-BMW trained mechanics who have ECU diagnosing/programming abilities (Autologics equipment) to keep repair costs reasonably fair.

Elvis John
40

I would strongly recommend it.. Definitely worth the buy.. I bought one with 103754 on it and i drove another 100000 miles no problems... its going strong as a stallion! but before buying check the gear transmission.. make sure its lubricated and the oil changer frequently.

David McMahon
45

Any car well maintained will last into that range. Any car your considering purchasing with mileage needs to be checked by an unbiased mechanic with a trained eye. American cars with faults are esily repaired but European car maintenance can be costly if not caught early enough. CarFax's are a good indicator of the car's history but should not be the determining factor by no means. However, purchasing any used vehicle should be complemented with a full warranty for at least two years to cover any possible oversights by the mechanic and/or buyer.

highendcars2013
40

You buy these used cars(BMWs, MBs..) not because they are reliable or will last forever, you buy them because you are getting a very good car(brand, safety, luxury and other high end options) for your money. Example: 06 BMW 750iL costs close to $80,000 brand new...a few yrs later the same car can be bought for $15k- $20k. Think of it like this..you are buying a world class super luxurious car(but used) for $25k. Yes, just like any other high-end or low-end cars these cars will have problems. If you are a smart guy you would find a good mechanic who works on high end cars(BMWs, MBs..) and get it repaired there. I will NEVER buy a brand new Honda, Toyota, Nissan....for $25k - $35k when I can get a world class car(used, of course) for the same price. To me buying an used high-end car makes more sense to me.

TrentOSU
45

Be aware that you're going to have to look into new O2 sensors, belts (depending on the year), filters, water pumps, etc..after 100k miles is when they do a lot of replacements.