Should my 525i transmission have failed?

rae1973
5

Asked by rae1973 Jan 30, 2013 at 09:31 AM about the 2004 BMW 5 Series 525i

I have a 2004 525i and with about 103,000 miles on it received a transmission fault message and the car would only operate in one gear. Needless to say I spent $3,500 to rebuild the transmission - the dealer wanted $6700 for a new one. This is supposed to be a BMW. Should the tranny have failed after approximately 100,000 miles?

DavidH25

rae, a BMW is one of the finest engineered cars on the road. The thing with the dealer does not surprise me, quite predictable actually, they, not just bimmers but all makes dealers are at least double. But at 100,000 miles is just about the point where the trouble may begin. I think you probably didn't get as much mileage as most bimmers but it is not entirely unheard of for it to fail then, especially if you did not buy it new and could have been abused. Or did you buy it new?

rae1973
5

Thanks for the response. I bought it as a certified used auto in 2005 from a BMW dealer in Henderson, Nevada. I thought certified used was almost the equivalent of buying new. That's not the only issue though. Just go a left front parking lamp failure message and the repair shop said you can't replace the bulb for the parking lamp, you have to replace the whole headlight assembly. (and we all know what that would cost)

DavidH25

Hold on, that does not sound right, he is trying to get away with something, let me look that up

rae1973
5

ok, but the parking lamp is that led ring around the main headlight I think.

DavidH25

does it look like

Best Answer
DavidH25

or

rae1973
5

2nd photo hard to tell, but looks very much like the first photo - white auto -

DavidH25

Ok and back to "certified" means that the vehicle has been inspected, usually about a 150 point inspection, by a factory trained licensed mechanic, or better yet technician, and is "certified" to be in need of no repair. At the time the inspection was done. Certainly not "like new" it can be certified with many many thousands of miles on it

rae1973
5

Ok, guess I'll call the dealer here to get the part because the local repair shop is the one who said I needed a whole new headlight assembl . I know the whole headlight assembly price I was quoted (installed) was $1,100.

DavidH25

I looked at no less than 5 yeah FIVE places and every body agrees, you can buy the led ring and do NOT have to replace the entire assembly at $900 and up, and THAT is just the PART not labor ..and some of them have regular bulbs

DavidH25

Yeah, because it costs them that $900 but they can do it in 20 minutes...find another shop. the one you have been to sounds a bit, uh, less than reputable?

rae1973
5

Ok, guess I should have called the dealer in the first place. You are correct, they just replace the "bulb" or ring around the headlamp and it takes about 30 minutes. Thanks for your help - I would have just driven around with that bulb out, thinking I had to buy a new headlight assembly. as far as the transmission is concerned spending $3,500 to repair with a 2 yr warranty beats having to buy another car

DavidH25

Got that right, and with some TLC that engine will drive you to the moon, no need for a new car at all

rae1973
5

thanks again!