on my 545i I was testing the obd system, with the key not yet in the ignition, the obd monitor is already powered up. as a result of that my battery is constantly draing, does anyone know what is the

laxley
220

Asked by laxley Apr 03, 2013 at 04:32 PM about the 2004 BMW 5 Series 545i

what could possible be the problem if an obd instrument, start giving out readings before ignition even turned on, there is no codes. would the problem be in the ignition system.

judge_roy

Do not worry about it. the monitoring electronics are about like an LED light....hardly nothin'...besides, would you have it forget all your diagnostic info or have it write an EPROM with your codes?

judge_roy

there are no codes, because there are no codes. The check engine light will usually come on if there ARE codes in that.

laxley
220

That is a trick question Judge Roy, I am happy their is no codes, but is it normal to have power to the obd without the ignition in position 2.

laxley
220

The reason why I was doing the test was to try an reset a flat tire , and seat belt code that I had.

judge_roy

is the ignition system failing to ignite? perhaps I've missed a meeting again.

judge_roy

whew. thought I'd got something all gerjobbled up. 545's are impressive. the body panels are steel...thick...hearty!...028 or somethin' on the thickity thick side~

judge_roy

not made on a printing press like mitsubishi's are.

judge_roy

the MINI has a special push button for that (for the tire) bizarre how they play this game with you unless you know the order and which buttons to press or all at once, they are making puzzles to which there is no logical path to follow, have this control with three buttons on it and how many times and which buttons, bout drives this old boy insane----kinda getting used to having NO lock cylinder on the door or trunk, and are entirely dependant on the battery in this transponder/key...like there are NO oil pressure NO temperature NO volts NO amps...we're going on faith here with the MINI, sometimes it's better to not know~

laxley
220

you are so right about about not having lock cylinder on the doors, and trunk, I also have a 1990 525I, and a 1992 750il, that depends on the battery for everything, luckly the 2004 545 has a door and cylinder lock. and all instrument that you mention would have been nice to have, but I still love the car