Are they very reliable? How expensive to run?

seaglass86
0

Asked by seaglass86 Apr 17, 2013 at 11:01 PM about the 2002 BMW 5 Series 530i

My 18 year old son would like to buy one of these.  I am unsure about the reliability and
the running costs. Do you have any suggestions.  Most of the reviews say fun to drive but
a money pit for fixing and unreliable after 100,000.  Thank you.

judge_roy

I'd put him in a powerless protection of airbags...yes the scion~

judge_roy

He's gonna take it to the limit, so if it's uncertain for you, it will definitely be uncertain under extreme circumstances...lease a new scion~ after the first collision you'll thank me~

Michael Tutty
4,075

The electrical systems can bankrupt you, which is why the seem such a 'good' buy for price used. The parts prices are usurious, and the labour can be as bad. I would not touch one on a bet.

68,705

Parts are expensive and if you aren't going to replace them yourself, it will cost you more than a domestic or asian vehicle. Handling is awesome though. Go through the BMW forums to see what others are saying about the car if you still are thinking about purchasing one.http://www.bimmerfest.com/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=103

DavidH25

Tom is right..as usual...but in my opinion when he says 'Aisian" draw a distinction between Japan and Korean built... for example Toyota v. Kia.. Opinion not fact.

Michael Branan
1,595

As someone who actually owns a '01 E39, unless your son is into turning wrenches, there is plenty to learn about one of the most sought after Bimmers ever built. The issues most of us run into are ABS related. Meaning that anything made out of plastic will usually fail in the 10 year/100K area. The vehicles are great beyond 300K, but you have to LOVE them accordingly. Parts ARE NOT EXPENSIVE if you know where to shop. Most of my suppliers are less than 1/3 of the dealer's list price and delivery is usually free. If you need any specific help, let me know. If you son is headed off to college, you may want to look else where.

judge_roy

yeah, but to put a nice car in the hands of an inexperienced driver can only lead to heartbreak...yes I was young once...contrary to popular assertions~

DavidH25

You ask 'how expensive to run?" a good question would be 'how expensive to insure for an 18 year old' that is where your money will go.

judge_roy

gotta deliver a few newspapers (we don't do that anymore) or deliver pizzas with his sparky-fresh leased scion- leased because once he's in a crackup (which will happen) he'll be protected~ ...of course take it out of his allowance which will almost pay for insurance for the man~

Michael Branan
1,595

The E39 is one of the safest vehicle build. The big variable is the age of the vehicle and the young man's driving prowess. It is a sports sedan for sure, but not over powered and if the airbags have been serviced, a safe ride still.

judge_roy

no one knows what an E39 is and there is no mention of it in this post, so yes mr three headed avatar, you're being somewhat presumptuous to assume that an 18 year old will be able to lay a claw on this type of vehicle. Thanks for making me look this up~ feller-