yellow oil warning light

Tony Stephanakis
15

Asked by Tony Jun 14, 2008 at 07:25 AM about the 2001 BMW 3 Series 330Ci

when starting my car after about ten seconds the yellow oil warning light comes on, this stays on for about ten seconds and goes out, the oil is not low, this happens every time without fail, so it seems like a programming problem, if any one could help i would be very greatful, its getting on my nerves ha ha, thanks!

23,745

Sounds like this is supposed to be happening. Most of the lights come on when you start the car as a self-test. If you feel it is lingering too long you might want to have the oil pressure sensor checked out by a BMW dealership but it doesn't sound out of the ordinary to me.

Raheem Sheikh
155

I have come across the same problem a couple of times and it was the oil level sensor in the sump that was to blame.

Danny Wong
105

If the car still under warranty..bring it back to the dealer and ask for a oil sensor change. It is not uncommon this happen in in all M54 engine, it burns oil according to the dealer's services manager said. Sometimes my yellow oil light came on and i added half quart of Castro Syntec and it would be gone for about another 6000 miles. It is normal.

A Facebook user
165

They usually take 1 quart every month, check the oil level and add more if its low. If you still have the light on after adding more oil, you might have a bad Oil Level Sensor. Here is a DIY to change it, cost $100 and you can save money if you can DIY http://forum.e46fanatics.com/showthread.php?t=600818

sassy_1
50

I own a 2001 330xi and have consistantly added a quart of oil every 500 to 800 miles. no leaks or smokey exhaust. Normal??

Chase Sutherland
3,325

no, def not normal. go get a bottle of heartland oil stop leak and add that. it will take care of your problem.

TitaniumCranium
150

This is a well known issue with BMW e46 vehicles, and many others that use the same oil level sender. This usually occurs after you have had your oil serviced when they left the key in the ignition turned to ignition position 1. The sender uses a current through a thin wire to determine if the system requires more oil. The oil in turn cools the sender but when no oil is present at all, the sender wire burns out. When you start your engine the light is off for about 6 seconds then turn on for between 10 and 15 seconds and the goes out. That when you know the sender is bad. The few above that said oil level sender is bad are correct.

Manie De Villiers
25

THE OIL COULD BE TO THIN OR TO THICK CHECK AMBIENT TEMP AND ADJUST IN SOUTH AFRICA IT IS HOT WE USE CASTROL LLO1

Tony Brack
125

Hmm, listening to this I definately have a messed up sensor I've been ignoring for 200,000KM on the 323. :-( Another BMW Warranty dodge, and given that it was ONLY BMW serviced before this started, ... guess who did it! Anyhow, neither my 323 or 330 burn a significant amount between oil changes (I usually do about half the recommended interval). The only oil burner I've had was a 1995 318is 4 banger (still only 1 quart every 5,000 KM).[ I ditched it for other reasons.] I figure I do over 15,000 KMs on less than a quart. My old '86 325e that I sold to a buddy, which now has about 500,000 KM on it, still doesn't burn more than a quart between intervals. ? I guess some of you are having bad luck ?

BigStu1968
70

I have a 330ci automatic year 2000 , its covered 118,000 miles and also does the same , yellow light is level not pressure so if your level is ok then its the sensor thats at fault , my 330 doesnt burn any oil , has regular oil changes but the light still comes on every time for about 10 seconds , it runs a dream , i had it checked out and told easy fixed with a new sump level sensor but not urgent as the car is fine. Its very common on this car, dont worry - but if the light stays on then get the sensor changed at around £100 ish. Stu

vicdragon
20

that happen to me when I didn't put enough oil in the car I added one more quart to the engine and it fixed the problem

Gale_M3
40

I have this problem, whan I shot down my car ,come yellow oil lamp. Oil level is fine. I think is sensor problem. but whan turn on yellow whay not red if is sensor problem??? bmw e46 325ci 2001

obanwin42
10

Thanks to TitaniumCranium for post this is exactly what,s happened to my 2003 320ci coupe, burnt virtually no oil for a year then took it for oil service since then yellow oil warning comess on for a few seconds , oil level is perfect and it only happens when engine is warmed up and never happened before oil change !!