What type of gas does it take?

elaineknw
0

Asked by elaineknw Jul 01, 2008 at 06:23 PM about the 1998 BMW 3 Series 328is Coupe

Steven Bryn
80

top grad fuel (93)

Rick Doyle
95

I have an 1998 audi a4 with the exact same engine do not run 93 that is too rich the highest u can run is 91 I run 89 in mine dont get cheap when it comes to gas for these cars

Corey Kirby
45

true dat rick d... u explained it..i say about perfect

Andrew Schulze
25

Premium 92 or 93, it will run better and the valves will not stick or tap. The car will run properly.

Jigar Tala
55

i got a 2004 330ci smg. Put 91 in it at all times, once in awhile if you go to a 76 gas station they have 100 octane race fuel and fill up on it and you'll feel the difference and in the process clean out the crap thats left in your tank. Its around 5 or 6 dollars a gallon. It costs me about 85 dollars to fill up my tank.

Stuart Mitchell
0

You can use 93 if you want its not too rich, just too expensive haha. go for 91 or 89 for best performance/price mix

Rich Howell
30

Rick D, how do you have an Audi with the same engine as a BMW... They both might be 2.8L 6 cylinders, but that's where the similarities end. For one the BMW is an inline engine and the Audi is a "V" engine, not to mention they are made by different manufacturers. But on to the question, I have the same car, just a 96, and I use 89 in it, which according to my fuel cap is the minimum. You can use 93 in it if you want, but its not really worth it... Nothing bad will happen if you do.

Marshall Holley
5

premium unleded only or hights octain available

Matt Jacot
15

premium..its a high compression motor

Jason Winters
35

My '97 528i says 89 is the recommended octane. I use it regularly and never had any issues. 169,000 miles and still runs like a champ! On a fill up you are only spending about $2.50 more than you would using 87, so why not use what is recommended.

Andrew Bottoms
35

I have a Mercedes-Benz E320. BMW,VOLVO, and Mercedes recommend premium gas to avoid the cost the service. The car will running much better with premium and save more gas! NEVER USE d GAS on those cars!

Michael Graham
65

switch off between mid and high, try maybe two tanks with midgrade and a third with highgrade it will run fine but never ever put arco in any engine

Edward Huang
5

Only premium.

David Stocks
80

You don't know shit about cars do you? 93 is the octane rating, meaning how stable it is under compression, not how rich it is, your A/F ratio is handled by your mass air flow sensor and the ECU. The lower the octane rating the more likely you are to have detonation in high compression. I run 93 in my Volvo 850, ran 93 in my Volvo 740 Turbo, and even ran 93 in my neon.

Daniel Archer
135

I am an ASE certified auto tech so i'll break it down for you, i'm rocking a 00 323ci right now with the 2.5 inline 6. But i've owened an E36 328 and a 96 740il as well as a 99 540i. You NEVER want to put UNDER what is recomended. In fact, if you get in the higher line cars they will actually either warn you that it is not the correct thing to do (by turning on the check engine light like my 7 series did) or it will just have poor detonation (which will cause the motor to shake a little bit, not to mention degrade your spark plugs quicker) Some people wont notice the motor shaking a little bit, but it will also hurt your performance greatly. Wheather you notice it or not putting under the recomended octane can take away as much as around 23 hP (in higher HP cars) not to mention just cost you alot more money down the road in nickle and dime repairs. And if you're driving a BMW or Audi or almost any other german/italian/British car you probably know that they can "nickle and dime" you to death. So if I were YOU, I would NEVER put lower octane than what is recomended, and When I can I put Higher octane alonge with some fuel system treatment in it to keep your engine not only running smooth and clean, but keep it running for a long time.

Adam Morgan
4,385

Agreed with Dan... Follow what the manufacturer says... Simplest explanation... Note: if the octane rating in your owners manual says 93 RON, it's the same as 89 Octane (R+M)/2 (US Standard). I'd assume that a late 90's import would show the ratings in (R+M)/2, but I'll be honest I haven't looked at a new manual for this, so I can't say either way. Hence why I let you know about this nearly useless piece of trivia, just in case it applies.

Shaun Barcelow
85

Go with the recommended octane. Using higher octane fuel is a waste of money; it does nothing for you. Using a lower octane fuel will cause the ECM to retard timing to compensate, resulting in a loss of HP and fuel economy. (This response is based on the assumption that you are operating at or near sea level.)

Simon Weber
10

Have one- recommended that you run 89, but 87 will work fine and not knock so save yourself and use 89 with maybe a little 87 every once in a while.

A Facebook user
0

It will run on 89 but for high performance use 93 octane. If you are in stop and go traffic commuting to work every day and not on the freeway working the engine why waste the money.

Jeff Rivera
45

you have a audi with a BMW engine? id like to see that! pictures?

Jeff Rivera
45

at the very least you run plus. run super as much as possible as that is what BMW recommends and has tuned the engine to run on. running regular unleaded causes performance lost and pinging (which is bad).

Sarah Hanlon
15

High grade 93 octane if you want your engine to hold up in the long run. In EXTREME circumstances you can use premium grade, but don't make it a habit. NEVER run anything below premium, though. You're asking for a very angry car. I have a German 328iC and it would be unthinkable to put regular in it. Stick with 93 if you can afford it. Your BMW will thank you - I promise.

Allison Snow
35

Premium all the time - 93 octane

askforme
0

where do you get 93 octane fuel.......91 is the highest I can get? is 91 o.k. for a 2.8

Engine1notMotor1
0

Best advice, use what the manufacturer recommends or requires. They built the engine and have tested those engines with required and recommended fuels.The difference between premium and regular petrol lies in the blend of hydrocarbons used to make the fuel, and the package of additives mixed into it. The difference between premium and regular petrol lies in the blend of hydrocarbons used to make the fuel, and the package of additives mixed into it.