Not starting!!!

Jimmy Estrada
15

Asked by Jimmy Feb 10, 2010 at 05:42 PM about the 1987 BMW 3 Series 325e

Hello, I have a 1987 BMW 325e that has always had a problem that seldom happens.  It happens hot or cold.  The car will just not crank.  I have put a fresh starter and selenoid but still does it once in a while.  I cant figure it out, the good thing is that I can jump start it, by either pushing the car or jumper cables.  Or I can also wait and suddenly it just works.  Thanks for the help.

Blooms
255

Check out www.e30tech.com. I'm stumped. Maybe there's a bad spot in your battery cables that just shorts out on occasion. Someone on here will know for sure, but if not e30tech should have a detailed list to trace verything throughout your car. Good luck!

Amanda Ostermiller
65

Check your battery connection and you might want to check the ignition in your car. If you have too many key chains on your key ring it can cause that to happen when you try to start your car. I see it happen all the time. Does it make any kind of noises when you try to start it?

Jimmy Estrada
15

Everytime it happens everything comes on, even the fuel pump. So when it happens I always just open the keay and jump start it, also I only have the key in the ignition. It seems to happen when I either leave the light on for a moment with the ignition off or the radio.

Amanda Ostermiller
65

Dang I almost wanna say it's the alternater now, but all I know is you have a connection somewhere. Ok so here's what you need start with. This is a 2 person job. Take a test light to your battery and start pulling fuses until the light goes off. If the light doesn't go off then you have a bigger problem and you're gonna have to take it in to try to figure out the issue. I had that happen to me with my 03' 325i and it turned to be the alternater, but my alternater would stop working while I was driving so I don't think you have that problem.

Jimmy Estrada
15

Yeah my alternator is brand new and well its a mystery cause the dealer couldnt find it either. I am clueless at this point, I have had the issue for 3 years and I have learned to live with it, thanks for your help.

Amanda Ostermiller
65

It's no problem. Try the test light out though and see if that fixes your problem. I'm suprised they couldn't figure it out. I was gonna say if you live in Washington state I know the best place to take it too. It's called Too Quicks German Auto