Sunroof glass breaking

pbm
10

Asked by pbm May 16, 2012 at 12:35 AM about the 2011 Lincoln MKX AWD

Our sunroof exploded while driving on a divided highway with no one in sight in front of us.  Ford says it doesn't warranty glass breakage.  Ford says the edge of glass must have chipped at some time and shattered when the vehicle flexed while driving on the highway.  The chance of chipping the edge without shattering the whole glass at the same time seems remote to me.

aztec626bf
6,955

It is possible, but there is no way to ever know now.

BigMats
40

Same thing happened to us last week. Ford Canada won't stand behind their product. We can't prove there was an issue with the rear sealed Vista panoramic roof. They can't prove there wasn't any issue and it was our fault. That means at this point that we are out $1300 for the replacement glass. Thanks Ford and Koch Ford in Edmonton for doing absolutely nothing about it. Last Ford product we will ever buy.

pbm
10

The front one is about $2250 installed. We had to use our insurance for something that I have no doubt should be warranty.

buckeyefan202020
10

Ours broke in the highway just yesterday. How did your repairs go? Were they able to install the new one ok? Our shade appears damaged as well due to falling glass.

BigMats
40

We ended up fighting with Ford Canada and getting nowhere. That is, until I sent out a couple of tweets on Twitter, referencing the dealership's twitter account and Ford Canada's twitter account. I got contacted by Ford Canada that day or the next day, went through all of the details again with them, and they ended up settling with us to split the cost 50/50. Had a cheque in hand mere days after the twitter posts. They apologized that the situation wasn't handled well from the start. The people who we talked to at Ford Canada after the post were much more helpful than those we talked to before the post. Big demonstration of the power of social media today! Not sure if this would apply carte blanche to anyone who have had a similar problem, as our MKX was pretty much exactly one year old with realtively low miles and maintained meticulously. If you want to check out my old posts on twitter, give me a follow @kevinbalicki In my opinion every case needs to be handled differently because tempered glass has properties that can have it explode months or even years after it was manufactured. (If it was made with an undetected defect, if it was chipped by an external source or upon install, etc.). In most cases, it will be just fine for a lifetime. Good luck. Hope they can step up to the plate for you.

907Ford
10

Mine broke too! Just noticed it today. Mine was also the rear vista glass. I had no idea it was cracked or that anything was wrong. Luckily or shade was closed so the glass wasn't falling on the kids. It seems that if there are this many people with broken glass that it is not from the road.

Racer_X
12,715

Whatever happened to Ford's slogan: "Quality is Job#1"....oh well, guess that's why we don't see THOSE TV ads anymore.

JBlivery
10

We bought 2 MKT's a week and a half ago for the limousine business. This morning, while going through the car wash, the roof exploded just as the soap covered the car and fractured into a million pieces. We thought it was a chemical reaction to the soap. After seeing this, we are thinking maybe not. Still waiting to see what Ford, MA, USA is going to do about the issue. Car currently has 2,000 miles on it.

BigMats
40

The dealer will likely do nothing unless you fight for it. Like I said before, the only way I got any action was once I went on Twitter and was contacted by Ford Canada there. Craig Silva with Ford Canada was the guy who was instrumental in us getting 50% of the bill back. The dealership and Ford Canada did nothing upon numerous phone calls and in person visits, and said that we probably damaged it or hit something that caused it to break. I still believe there is some issue with these sunroofs, with as many as I have heard have problems, but until they ask for a recall, I will have to settle for my 50% back and pray it doesn't happen again.

spechacek
0

Last week while driving down the road, my moon roof exploded. My grandson was in the car with me. I had never heard of such a thing. I took my truck to the dealer who said they had never heard of such a thing and would put the glass on digital imaging. I filed a complaint with Ford customer care since my new truck is under warranty and then proceeded to file a complaint with NHTSA as well. On the NHTSA site, there are several complaints of the same experience I had. Ford finally has agreed to pay 1/2 of the cost of the roof, but no thank you. I am working to get a recall. I have also contacted Carlite Glass who is the manufacturer of all the glass for Ford. They of course told me they have not received any complaints or ever heard of an issue with exploding moon roofs. I let them know, they have just been made aware of the issue. I offered to send the links or forums that I had Googled with all the complaints, the contact person declined my offer. My service advisor at Ford acknowledged there was no evidence of an impact, which I had already told them and yet they want the customer to file an insurance claim. I explained to them, that is considered FRAUD since there was no impact! Please if you have had an issue, call and complain to the NHTSA and get the investigation going. I have already contacted my local news station as well. It is a safety issue not a monetary issue!!!

Lamyotte
0

Tuesday April 8th, without reason or warning, my glass panoramic roof in my 2010 Lincoln MKT exploded up and out while I was driving. Ford dealer sent pictures to Ford as my car is still under warranty, Ford replied with "contact your insurance company". The "hole blew out inches to the right of where my face would have been. lucky for me it was not directly above my head or I could have had glass in my eyes and a much more dramatic outcome to my story. I see from searching this on the internet that I mine is definitely not an isolated incident. The glass issues that have been commented on are few and far between considering the millions of vehicles on the road but definitely common enough to find many posts and reports on the same problem. If the manufacturers are going to continue putting glass roofs in cars/suv's, they need to increase their safety (eg: use laminated glass) or at least warn potential buyers that this could happen to them and it WILL NOT BE COVERED BY WARRANTY. This is not uncommon in vehicles and not restricted to Ford /Lincoln. Hyundai and Kia have had customers report the same "blow out" the difference is...Hyundai and KIA seem to come through for their customers and replace/repair the glass under warranty. Ford seems to pick and choose who they might offer a settlement of half. I'm furious that i am having to make a claim on my insurance for something that was beyond my control and in my opinion should be covered under my warranty. We have 5 children and carefully chose this expensive luxury vehicle as we wanted a safe and reliable vehicle. We currently own 6 ford and Lincoln products and have supported our local dealer with dozens of purchases over the years. We feel we are ever so slightly larger than just one grain of sand on the beach...but I suppose we are still only 7 grains and very insignificant.

Juju7385
10

I also have a new 2013 Lincoln mkt on April 28, 2014 as My Husband and I we're driving our moon roof popped and scattered for no reason, thank goodness the curtain was closed. We pulled over to see what happened with no one or nothing in site. We were puzzled so I called the warranty center and she acted surprise and couldn't believe it and proceeded to say it had to be a rock or something. She told us to go straight to a Ford/Lincoln Dealership They said it would be 3 to 4 days before it could be fixed. They put plastic over it for a quick fit, needless to say with all the storms it did not hold. They seemed surprised also. I call my Insurance Co and they said it was a Ford problem. I'm a unhappy Grandmother !!!! If one of my eight Grand Children had been with us and they alway want it open for the view, this could have blinded them. I will get to the bottom of this before someone loses their eye sight! FORD this is a very serous problem! We the people need a recall.

Lamyotte
0

Hi there Juju7385, I'm so sorry to hear that you've had the same issue. I'm glad no one was hurt (as in my case). Sadly, I don't think FORD will address this issue until someone is seriously hurt or killed. My car is a 2010. Lincoln told me that the "auto glass" on my vehicle is only covered for 1 year or 20,000 km. Ford was extremely unhelpful and frustrating to deal with, however I must say that the dealership (Marigold in Whitby, Ontario) was as helpful as they were "allowed" to be. They were great. Because FORD said no, we had to go through insurance and we had to pay over $1200 for the deductible. Hopefully your 2013 is under 20K and Ford fixes the roof for you no charge. They should also be supplying you with a loaner while your car is out for repair. I wish you the best of luck with your issue. Please feel free to share my info if you pursue the matter with Ford/Lincoln. Best Regards. Leanne