Active Stability Control System Maintenance Required lights up on dash when 4WD Lock mode selected??

Racer_X
13,255

Asked by Racer_X Mar 25, 2013 at 11:14 AM about the 2010 Mitsubishi Outlander SE 4WD

In my 2010 Mitsu Outlander SE 4WD 2.4L 4 cylinder, there are 3 settings, 2WD, 4WD, and Lock.  
Whenever I select Lock and drive for a few minutes, I get the words "Active Stability Control
Maintenance Required" with the graphic of the car swerving on the display screen.  It doesn't
happen in the other 2 modes at all.  The manual says if it does this and turns itself off right away,
don't worry..WTH??   Is there something about the 4WD Lock mode that is screwing up the ASC on the
SUV??   Thanks for the help!

51,815

"The manual says if it does this and turns itself off right away, don't worry..WTH??" --- it could be going through some sort of self check when it is first turned on.

Racer_X
13,255

Well...when I start the SUV without turning the knob at all, this "ASC Maintenance Required" message in giant letters does not flash on the screen as a "self-check"...Only when I turn that knob to that Lock position all the way to the right in the above picture.

51,815

Did this just start or has it been this way all along? If you have any warranty left, ask the dealer. You could also try a forum and ask other Outlander owners if it happens to them.

judge_roy

The eyes and ears of your system aren't seeing a critical element of your stability control. magnets on the wheels? a speed transducer for each wheel? some or a tother informational positor is missing or corrupt.

judge_roy

The Mistubishi company brought us the nimble ZERO which out manuevered our P-40s, but made up for it by using bulletproof steel construction rather than easy-pierce aluminum.

judge_roy

so...racer_X, you've got yerself one of these nimble Japanese thingies. Do ever really NEED 4wd on pavement? drivin in the rain and sleet alot? This whole "turns itself off" involves physical activity means vacuum solenoid (switchin that involves aspecial manifold) or a tiny electric motor---your pick? which one is it? a little genie doesn't appear and say "thou shalt become none with the universe", and shazaa out of 4wd she be~

Racer_X
13,255

Not gonna screw around with this...Bringing it in to Service Dept @ Mitsu Dealer where I bought it from on Wed AM. Service Dept says something may need to be reset or maybe the Differential Fluid level?? @Bob..The Outlander is actually quite nimble and handles well overall. Since I live on the East Coast and get heavy snow, ice and at times, torrential downpours (hydroplaning sucks), the 4WD system has been helpful. What I meant by "turns itself off" was the reference to "ASC Maintenance Required" text that displays on the panel as per the Owner's Manual. All the "Lock" mode does apparently is send more torque to the rear wheels for more stability than standard 4WD mode offers...Haven driven several RWD sportscars in not so nice weather, I would think this would be the LAST thing you'd want to do, but I guess there's some logic to it...Something to ask the Mitsu mechanic on Wed I guess...LOL!

Racer_X
13,255

Oh yeah, Tenspeed....I forget to mention that I've only had this SUV 2 months...and only recently discovered this issue with the last 2 bouts of bad wintery weather we've had here....Guessing the previous owner would've had it taken care of if it happened before, as he had all previous service work done @ same Mitsu Dealer.

muskydan72
0

Racer_X I know this is almost a year ago and you might not still be on this site but what did you do with your car I have simlar problems brand new 2013 car never driven ive broight it in 3 times and they just told me there have only been 2 other cars besides mine in the country that have had this problem