Approximately, how many miles can a 2005 Ford Focus travel before it reaches its maximum?

nieshasham
25

Asked by nieshasham Jun 11, 2008 at 01:18 PM about the 2005 Ford Focus ZX4 S

I am concerned about how far the ford focus can go before it reaches it's maximum amount of miles. I know that the 1998 Chevrolet Malibus have 160,000 miles on the engine... what about the Ford Focus???

Adam Morgan
3,635

I've seen polar opposites with reliability in the Zetec motor. Many say it's a 200k mile motor others say get rid of it when you hit 6 digits... My personal experience with a Zx2 is somewhere in the middle... It's an easy inexpensive motor to work on but it breaks rather frequently. I got rid of mine at...ohh I can't remember the mileage anymore... about 150k we'll say mostly cause I got sick of fixing it... Valve cover gasket here, water pump here and there, timing belt, coil pack, valve seals.... yada...yada... Many are because I didn't want my car burning or leaking oil at all and with the exception of some seepage at my oil pan the engine was nearly perfectly sealed! They are 'cheap' cars and I wouldn't expect it to get high mileage, but I'm one who believes the only limit to how long a car lasts is how much money you're willing to put into it. I got rid of mine when a car payment was more predictable that the failure of misc. odds and ends around the vehicle brakes, bushings, corrosion on wire harnesses, ect...

Adam Dentinger
365

older cars are made better, and will last alot longer. nowadays, i wouldnt be surprised if alot of these cars started dying at 200k.

David Veronesi
55

buy a general motors

Adam Morgan
3,635

Most cases I'd agree but the comparable GM model would be the Aveo which really can't compete with the 2.0L Zetec Ford cars. It's too inefficient for it's power and cracks about the same MPG rating as the Zetec cars with less power and reliability. Nearest comparable would be the '05 and up Cobalt that are significantly more expensive... Sadly I'm a Chevy fan, but small cars they just can't compete atm with other brands. They are unrivaled in my opinion in the truck and large sedan market though... Especially anything with the Northstar v8

CarpenterJon
145

GIVE ALL YOU'VE GOT! I have 120,000 on mine and it is ticking like a top. Yeah you have to replace stuff but it is cheap and people don't mind working on them (aka, they don't charge a lot). I think this car could go 200K no problem if you don't drive it hard. It is a smaller engine so lots of highway miles at slow speeds isn't bad but if you have been driving it like it belongs in NASCAR time trial then it probably isn't going to make it. Even around town, these cars are light so brakes and clutches last a long time.

papa

just keep it serviced regurally,treat it nice,it will last.

Thomas Smith
395

It depends on how they were treated..My son"s zx-4,has 248 k on the clock,and has 6% leak-down,170-175 compression,on all 4 cylinders,and YES- it"s a turbo-model..Should be good,for another 100k,if he(he wont) keeps his foot,out of it!! I would safely say-with good care-300k,and then,look for a re-build,or-another car...

harry999
20

Got 560,000 km on the 2006 Ford Focus ZXW - still running without problems, shifts great and no engine trouble.

PatPinVT
0

I have 150k on mine and it runs like a top! I have done regular maintenance, oil changes, etc. The only real expense that I have had was brake linings and exhaust. Looking a little beat in the body, but still humming. Just replaced the original battery!

Staci Lynn
0

I've got 159,000+ on my Zetec ( SE, 4dr sedan version). I *like* this car. I've put the majority of the miles on it (bought in '02 with around 20K or so miles). Fixing thus far has been cheaper for me. I have had to replace a solenoid in the transmission ($90 part, my labor, plus gasket sealant and fluids), replaced the radiator due to a hole (gravel roads), the water pump went shortly after; PCV valve must be replaced on schedule; dropped the drive train belt about 120K or so, lucked out and didn't damage anything, no clearance in the valves. The usual maintenance: Oil, filters, fluids; brake rotors once since I got it. Rear brake pump or whatever is on the rear wheel replaced last year. Replaced busted strut springs after getting it back from Military shipping. Been a good little car for me and mine.

Staci Lynn
0

Oh, I've got the 2000 model- and all the recall stuff has also been replaced. I drive it back and forth in town, 70 miles to KCMO, and 6 hours home, 3-4 times a year, 50 miles to my brothers once a month or so, etc. I *like* my car. ;-)