2010 toyota tundra location of oil filter

TechGuy43
0

Asked by TechGuy43 Apr 04, 2010 at 01:39 PM about the 2010 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 5.7L

budgoo
320

The oil filter is located on the driver's side under the skid plate. To remove the skid plate you need either a large phillips head screwdriver or a 10mm socket and rachet wrench to remove the 3 forward bolts, and a 12mm socket for the other 5 bolts. After you remove all the bolts you will need to lift the front end of the skid plate and slide it toward the driver side to release two hangers that hold the front of the skid plate in place. After you drain the oil pan---You will then use the ratchet (3/8") and an extension to remove the metal bolt. If you buy a replacement filter element (Part number 04152-YZZA4 COST=$5.41 RETAIL, $3.56 if your son-in-law works for a Toyota dealer) from the dealer it comes with a special (Drain pipe) that you force into the threaded hole to drain the remaining oil in the filter. Remove Drain Pipe by pushing to side. Being 60 years old, I've collected many different types of tools for removing oil filters over the years. In this case I had to use the type that look like big tongs to loosen the plastic filter cap. This was done with many short turns, as I could not turn the filter very far because of the way the engineers designed this filter. I THINK THEY FULLY INTENDED FOR NO ONE OTHER THAN A TOYOTA DEALERSHIP TO CHANGE THE OIL OR AT LEAST BUY THE SPECIAL SERVICE TOOL (SST). But I digress. After it was loosened a bit I was able to use one of the smaller socket type removal tools to get it all the way off. I removed the old filter element I replaced the two O-rings that came with my filter after having rubbed them completely with new oil. I cleaned the plastic cap of all the old oil the best I could with paper shop towels. I placed the new element in the plastic cap. I hand tightened all I could then I used the socket type cap removal tool to tighten it a bit tighter. I replaced the metal bolt and torqued it to the specs included on the box of the element. The dealership I bought from sells 0W20 Kendall oil (ConocoPhillips) to the public for 4.34 a qt. That's about 1/2 of what a qt. of Mobil 1 costs. If it's good enough for a Toyota dealership it's good enough for me. Again I got a break on that cost too. It cost me about 1/4 of the cost of what the dealership would have charged for parts and labor. Hope this helps.

budgoo
320

ABOVE:That would be 0W20 "synthetic" oil.

Gwen Boucher
10

The last replaceable element oil filter I saw was on a Cummins diesel. Why would they put one on a 2011 Toyota?