Passanger seat air bag sensor needs to be replace. Do I have to replace the entire seat?

sturaymo
0

Asked by sturaymo May 16, 2013 at 08:57 AM about the 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

The passanger seat air bag sensor needs to be replace per the dealer.  They stated that I need to replace the entire seat?  Is that true?

18,345

Some that I have seen you have to replace the bottom seat cushion because its all made together. the whole seat seems unneccessary.

operator_13

they are interested in the contents of your wallet....ask yourself "how many air-bag accidents have you been involved with?", and decide if it is economically feasible....to me this whole deal is a sham~

62,695

It has a switch in the seat. The only dealer "fix" is to replace the seat. So that part is true. -- The big question is what does the switch do? Can you disconnect it and have the air bags work like in every other car that has no switch?

fidelitymotors
145

If I were going to sell the car as a used car dealer I follow the dealer recommended solution and eat the cost. If I were going to keep the car personally, I would take it to a shop that could read the code adn resent it for next to nothing. It is probably just a defective code. Problem is if you get in a wreck and the bag deploys too hard, the passenger could be in jeopardy depending on his weight. Odds are the bag would deploy properly should that unlikely even happen. You are taking a risk, but probably a small one. If you are selling the car, I would definitely follow dealer protocol to ensure that it is safe for the next driver.