Timing Belt

doc1127
0

Asked by doc1127 Sep 07, 2012 at 10:48 PM about the 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S

I have a 2010 Nissan Altima 2.5 S and I just hit 60,000 miles, when do I need to change the timing belt/chain?

Jason Miller
235

If you're certain you have a timing belt (I thought the 2.5 was a 4 cylinder and it may have a timing chain), it may be about time. A while back, a lot of manufacturers recommended 60k. Now the belts can go a while longer (my 98 Pathfinder says to do it about ever 90k). If you do have a belt, I'd probably start planning for it. It'll be an involving project and you'll probably need another car for one or two days (and this is if you have a shop do it). But I'd say you probably have at least 10k to go safely. And once you get the front of the motor taken off, you may just want to have them change the water pump (right in the same area, and the motor would have to be taken apart to do that too). But you should still have a little time left on that belt.

Lnuorala
10

It has a timing chain, you shouldn't ever have to replace it.