2010 Jetta Broken Stereo

seahorse2
10

Asked by seahorse2 Jul 12, 2013 at 11:13 AM about the 2010 Volkswagen Jetta TDI

When I turned on my 2010 Jetta TDI yesterday the stereo system did not turn on.  Touch
screen is black and doesn't respond at all.  I have checked the fuse under the hood and
behind the radio, but the neither fuse is blown.  Any advice?  Do I just have to buy an
entire new stereo system.

judge_roy

The numbers are actually very impressive....No recalls..everyone seems happy with the TDI from what I've read for a few minutes~

judge_roy

an "entire new" stereo system would not be integrated such as the current touch panel is~ take it to the dealership...probably a warranty item~

judge_roy

http://www.truedelta.com/Volkswagen-Jetta/problems-280

KimberlyJettaTDI
170

Hello - I have the exact same problem. Did you get it figured it out? My dealer wants $125.00 just to diagnose the problem?!

judge_roy

printout this documented problem and tell him he has to have seen this more than once~

KimberlyJettaTDI
170

Just for a wrap-up, needs whole new system. Volkswagen will not cover. Re-manufactured $750....ugh.

Colin Urling
135

My 2010 TDI RCD-510 stereo just went out two days ago. Both fuses are in tact as well. Any help would be awesome

judge_roy

I'd inspect and test the ground (-) to the unit...run another jumper if weak~

KimberlyJettaTDI
170

Follow up - Removing my radio today and sending it out to be fixed. Less than $300 with 1 year warranty. Something strange happened the other day though, I accidentally left my lights on and my battery died, I had to jump start the car and the whole stereo system worked for the day! Then just went back to not working. Any idea I what this meant?

judge_roy

yes...as I have asserted, every time the starter is used...the connection to the frame and motor are "welded" by 300+ amps...what you must do is disconnect the black 1/0 cable that connects to the chassis....take a coarse wirebrush...take it down to metal...also the one that goes to the engine (near the alternator)...this renewed ground will enable the devices driven by the ground up to and beyond the instrument panel~

judge_roy

ECU's do NOT like varying voltages and varying amperages...the stuff trouble lights are made of~

Colin Urling
135

Thanks for the help judge Roy. I'm going to try and find where my ground runs. Or is there an easy way to hook up my stereo to an alt power source?

judge_roy

...well NO Colin...this is where automakers fall off of the horse~ only one cable (1/0)[wire spec] and only to the frame/chassis...will just take a moment to put it right...this is where you should get reliable ground...from the chassis~ I mean you could "kentucky chuckie" a black wire from the battery...but chances are this will fail...start a fire and be unnecessary~ at the clamp...yes another wire could be inserted into the clamp there...seems like so much trouble when all that is needed is some correction to the current situation~

KimberlyJettaTDI
170

So...to continue my saga. The radio repairman contacted me, it's not the radio. He said the radio is just fine, therefore it must be the amplifier that is in the car, no amplifier in the radio itself.....so I wonder what the dealership was going to sell me for $750? Dropping the car off on Friday to assess the amplifier.

judge_roy

the last car I owned that had a separate tuner and amplifier was the Isuzu Impulse of 1988....I think that a 2010 should have condensed them into one unit?~~...even so there should be a fuse or two that you could examine...these things don't go bad by themselves, but have to be abused in one way or another~

seahorse2
10

Update on my stereo: When I took my car to dealership, they confirmed it was not a fuse. It was no longer under warranty (car has 42K miles & >3yrs old). All they said was an internal component in the stereo must have failed. Dealership had a program where they "exchange" the broken stereo (send in the broken one) and replace it with a working one for $600 (which is what I did). My replacement stereo is now supposed to be under warranty for 12months/12K miles. FYI, it took a few weeks for the replacement stereo to come in, during which I went on vacation for 10 days. After not driving car for 10 days my car battery was dead. I had to have my car battery jumped. When the deanship checked to see if I needed a new battery, all the battery tests passed. Thus, my battery is okay, but the broken stereo may have been draining the battery more than normal.

judge_roy

oooo, our friend parasitic drain...note the date on top of your battery..five years old is too old because it stops accepting a charge 10% per year....makin' the alternator work twice as hard to charge it up...Get a new one with a warranty that "pro-rates" your old battery...sellers Interstate batteries will give you credit towards the purchase of a new one (pops the Engineering VP there)~

judge_roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zdIKNnwEjIs

ColoradoTDI
15

I've been going through the same problem for 4 weeks now. I really appreciate the last round of responses and look forward to some additional troubleshooting

judge_roy

here's a pinout diagram...if this can help~

Colin Urling
135

Thanks for the diagram im going to bench test my stereo today ish.. i hope i dont have to throw down 600

judge_roy

Yes, the tunes ARE that important....think about ticket prices for goin' to see your favorite band in crowded (get your wallet stolen) type place and if music is to you what it is with a first chair musician you know that cannot live a single day without my tunes...am currently listening to DJ Krush on pandora.com~

judge_roy

the local U-Pull or pickNpull will probably have acres of the TDI~ you may just spend an afternoon on a one dollar hike...I like to bring my camera to see the glorious former engineering feats....all destined to get parted (totally environmentally responsible)...rather then pony up to pay for the guy's new pool table or to help his kid through college...be sensible, you do not have to go NEW...you know how this all goes together by now and decimating a few wrecks is always a joyous time~

npresslywolf
70

I have a 2010 tdi jetta wagon and the stereo also just went dead. What was the latest? Any new news?

judge_roy

@npresslywolf, check the "blogs" for recurrence of your failure....and TSB/recalls on this stereo~

jdbrica
60

this exact thing happened to me: i have a 2010 jetta tdi sportwagon. the stereo "broke" in july. took it in, fuses were fine and dealer said the radio was broken. by oct, the car would not start if left sitting for more than a day. took it in, battery tested fine. but did it again 2 days later. when jumped the radio went on and off so i knew the radio was not broken and i figured it was a parasitic drain. i took it in again, the battery tested fine, the dealer disconnected the radio and the car seemed fine for about a week but now it is not starting even if driven less than 24 hrs ago. what else could this be? what should i do to fix it (the dealer seems clueless after all this.)

npresslywolf
70

Ugh! Thats terrible jdbrica! I have dealt with the situation, but do not recommend my path… even tho my new car repair guys are pretty fair… the radio was deemed dead, so they put in a new one and $425 later it all works, but the stereo is not as nice… I always found our dealer to be USELESS and this is in Mnahattan.

jdc2012
50

FYI, my 2010 TDI Jetta sport wagon has been diagnosed with the same cause for my battery going dead it not driven at least every 24 hour. My dealer wants $728 for a new radio. I am convinced to buy an aftermarket system which will allow me go incorporate a gps unit. Anybody have any experience with this solution, speak up.

jdbrica
60

i posted earlier...so it turns out that the dealer had a faulty battery tester because i ended up replacing the battery and the problem has gone away. i then said i want my radio hooked up again and working b/c I'm not convinced it really broke (since it went on when we jumped the battery). i also complained again that a radio should not break after 3.5 yrs. the service guy felt that since i only have 23k miles on the car he might be able to make a case for "good will" which they (whoever that is) eventually approved. and now, as i write this, i am at the dealer waiting for my new radio to be installed. if you have low mileage you could try being the squeaky wheel and throw in a few complaints about how this is jetta living up to its reputation, etc…if they did not agree to do this i was going to either get one off ebay (they have the stock vw radios available for a lot less) or go to best buy or some radio place and get one for $200- 300.

You think this is helpful.
npresslywolf
70

Wow this really seems like a 2010 jetta issue-- I wonder what dealer jdbrica has-- our local dealerships, either Manhattan or Apple (Bronx) are not so helpful, and quite disorganized… I think their idea of "good will" would be pretty different! We now have a pretty cheap set up, $450 later. Very sadly surprised with quality of the car.

jdc2012
50

Since my vw dealer acknowledged my parasitic battery drain was caused by my 2010 Jetta TDI's radio/CD player, and after hearing of this case, I can only conclude that VW got a faulty batch of radios for the 2010s. I see it as an opportunity to change mine out for one that a reputable brand (Kenwood) has a gps included.

jdbrica
60

the dealer is downtown los angeles. when i picked the car up my service advisor said he had another 2010 jetta in with a broken radio but since that car had a lot of miles on it, he could not make the case for "good will". i think i got lucky. it does seem like this is a 2010 problem. i wonder how long this new radio will last...

amychristine
25

My radio just "broke" in my 2010 SE Jetta, as well. I've had the mechanic and the dealership look at it, and they can't find any fixable errors. The dealership quoted me $490 for a replacement, which includes a 12k/12 month warranty. But I'm concerned this will happen again- does anyone know if VW has updated their stock radios to eliminate this problem? Has anyone gone the aftermarket route? I've found some touchscreen/bluetooth/cd/dvd stereos for $250+ at Best Buy, and they estimtated $240 for parts and labor. But I know nothing about their quality or warranties either. Anyone have any ideas?

jdc2012
50

I had the same problem with my 2010 Jetta sportwagon TDI except the radio still works fine, but it drains the battery, My dealer quoted $728 for a replacement installed. From the look on their faces in Service, it appears they have has to deal with this issue a number of times. They recommended an after-market replacement radio place they trust. It seems reasonable to assume VW got a bad batch of radios. Draw your own conclusions.

judge_roy

the VW beetle AM radio was "hot" all the time....could be left on very easily....the COLD war was going on at the time and we needed to hear the "emergency broadcast system" so we could tell when to hide under the desks~ ...still I think it's important for the passenger to listen to the radio while the driver is off at the bank or store~...thankfully I can still listen to the baseball game while the wife is in the store with the MINI will allow if you press the 'on' button twice~ this is a keen feature and should not be a parasitic drain~

Brandice
10

I am having the same problem with my radio in my 2010 VW Jetta TDI. While driving one day it just "popped" and shut off. Have checked fuses, they appear good. All within a few weeks I have also had the following: Rear driver side door latch failure, horn fuse blown, glow plug light and check engine light came on. Also have replaced fan switch twice.....is it possible all of this is related to the bad ground? I have read about the electrical issues on several sites - I may just have bad luck! It is a commuter car, so I have 130,000 on it, but always have my maintenance done on time. Dealer said about 1500-1800 to replace radio, recommended aftermarket radio but really hate to do that. It has affected the Bluetooth capability and everything in my car, just feel like it shouldn't be so costly after only 3 yrs. Thanks in advance for any info you can provide.

judge_roy

...yes, with the cooler weather and road salt, am going to say the Black Battery cable as it attaches to the ground/chassis has become "brown" and needs to be refreshed with a wirebrush...undo the bolt clean the lug by holding it with a pliers and the ground spot where it attaches~ put them back with a fresh battery and will have no more problems~

jettajoe
10

Hey Judge Roy - same issue here. 2010 Jetta TDI radio popped and died the other day. Called two area dealers - one said he never heard of it as a known problem the other said I was the second call today with it. Should I suggest that they try cleaning the grounds first? Could that really be the sole problem? If I replace the radio will it just happen again in a year or two? Thanks

judge_roy

Yes....jettajoe...no one ever complained because the chassis ground was TOO full of ground potential...in other words..."it coudn't hwoit"~

judge_roy

chase after the rust and get down to metal...you electronics will NOT forgive you if you do not~

Solnishko Mashulka
0

My problem is even more weird. After dead battery i jump started the car and only cd player doesnt work. The radio, media, aux everything works. Bud cd player doesnt. Plus the indicator lights on shifter dont work. And i dont have DTL anymore. The low beam is constantly on. I have 2012 vw passat. 2.5 se. I cant figure out whats wrong because all fuses are good. And battery drains every 4-5 weeks

judge_roy

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B__DqK90IIc

judge_roy

sounds like an over-voltage condition was presented to the electrical system...higher voltage SURGE from the jumpstart....I can see how this might happen...all I can suggest is NOTE the defective/burnt out parts and replace them one at a time~

jdc2012
50

With all the radio/stereo failures we've been hearing about on this blog coupled with my own experience of having to jumpstart my 2010 Jetta, due to the parasitic leakage, a lot of times and never suffering any problems from a surge, I find it difficult to believe that jumpstarting is the culprit here.

judge_roy

in an insufficient chassis ground situation the extra power has to go somewhere....that's why we need to clean our chassis ground to battery connection...'tis "main street" for the electrical department~

10jettaowners
0

Having the same stereo issue. turned the car on one day, and stereo and lights around will not turn on, nothing. a few times, it flashed for a moment while driving, otherwise nothing. Dealer has never heard of and has no advice other than to look at it. Very frustrated, have not set anything up yet. fuses and everything seem fine.

judge_roy

yes call me "clean your main grounds from the battery to frame with a wirebrush", roy~

Amanda218814
20

Well well well, I share your frustration... I have a 2011 jetta 2.5 SE and just the other day I turned on my car and I heard a pop and the whole stereo system went. Everything else in the car is working heat, heated seats, etc but no power to the radio. I checked all my fuses and they were fine, I brought my car to a mechanic and on first glance he couldn't find anything wrong either but he said he needs more time to look at it and for me to bring it back before I buy an aftermarket stereo and put it in. I haven't had any problems with the battery or had to jump start it. My car is no longer under warranty. I'm worried that once I buy a new stereo and install it, it's going to crap out on me again if I don't get to the bottom of this. Has anyone had luck getting their stereo to work again after cleaning the chassis from ground up? PLEASE suggestions needed. I'm not trying to dump any more money into this car.

You think this is helpful.
Mauzymb
10

I also have a 2011 jetta tdi and MIT radio just died last nite. Prior to its demise I had a noise coming from the dash like a solenoid clicking nonstop or like a cd trying to load. The dealer told me it was my recirc motor. I tried to tell them that it made the noise even with the car off but they insisted it was the recirc motor. Now that my stereo is dead the noise is gone. Has anyone else heard this noise prior to your radio dieing. I am losing my faith in vw. I also had a routan and after 3 months and $7000 they still could not fix it. I unloaded it and went back to a ford and am about ready to do the same with this jetta.

PetervB
10

I've had the same identical symptoms as Mauzymb-- a 1 second interval popping sound coming out of the speakers, radio LCD blank, even with ignition turned off. removed radio/navigation fuse underhood and it stopped. fuse replaced, no noise, but no radio either. I dont know what a "recirc motor" is but I doubt it is related to the radio fuse...

10jettaowners
0

Cleaned main battery to ground. Still have no luck. Radio will still turn on for a few minutes in very cold weather, then will turn off and had the popping noise happen a couple times too. Not sure if my problem is the actual radio when it works great when it decides to turn on. I still have not contacted the dealer about looking at the vehicle since they say they have never heard of this.

PetervB
10

message to judge_roy: it might help if we had a wiring diagram for the stereo, particularly the power system. do you have wiring diagrams? I'm thinking there may be a circuit that unpowers the stereo during engine start, possibly a relay. That circuit might be defective..

veloman
0

I have a 2010 Jetta TDI and the radio sound just stopped working a couple of days ago. Radio was still on and screen active, but no sound. Dealer fixed it for free. There is a TSB 91-13-19 to update the software. All is working well now.

penguin44
0

Add one more person to the list of dead radios in my 2010 Jetta TDI. No pop that we heard - just stopped working, no lights, no sound, no bluetooth. Checked the fuse location under the hood and there was no fuse in that socket location (manual must have an error). I tried putting a fuse into that socket just in case (#18) with no luck. Inspected all of the fuses that are in the box and all are fine. I will attempt to get into dash and check the fuse on back of radio. Dealer wants $99 just to look at it and then $350-650 for a refurbished radio. They said they can't give me an exact price until they take it apart and verify the model number on the back of the radio because there were 7 or 8 different models of radio possible from at least three different OEMs (does this sound reasonable - seems like a dubious statement to me?)

Mauzymb
10

Sounds bout right. I had researched mine and found exactly what i needed without pulling the deck and they still refused to order what i wanted till i got the numbers. It is very easy to remove and get the numbers. Now they tell me i have to give them my old one which i don't understand. Im not happy bout this whole situation and compounded with my experiences over last summer with my wife's vw i am sure i will not own another vw.

Discoboy1
0

I also had the pop sound in speakers and radio went dead, fuses are ok. Any final answer on the cause of this problem?

KimberlyJettaTDI
170

Not really. I ended up buying a new system and having it installed. It was much cheaper than what the dealer was quoting.

vwjettaowner12345
0

2010 VW Jetta Sportwagen TDI... Dead Battery -> Replaced Battery -> Sound System Failure... This problem is occuring so much it should be a recall...

bmmcgrath
0

This just happened to me this weekend with my 2010 Jetta Sportwagen TDI. I agree it should be recalled. The radio worked fine on the way home. Got into the car an hour later and nothing worked on the radio system. Went to dealership to figure it out. They charged me $112 to let me know the radio is dead and needed to be replaced at another $575 for just the radio, not including installation. They recommended buying one at Best Buy, but its not like they are much cheaper. I ended up buying a basic radio for $120 from them. After installation, the radio, and paying VW I am out $400+ today and ended up with a cheaper radio I don't even like. Not happy.

npresslywolf
70

That is almost exactly what happened with me. Now I have a cheap radio which doesn't communicate with the car so well. My car had less than 20K miles on it... so not happy either!

Mauzymb
10

I got my new radio and after complaining about the poor diagnostic skills they installed and coded it for free. The replacement radio is the same model they put in the 2012. They said it supercedes the model i had and that my old radio model is no longer available. Gee i cant imagine why! I believe my initial radio is the same as what they put in the 2010. I went with the dealer replacement because since i have blue toothe hands free sirius and rear usb, it was gonna cost $1000.00 to replace aftermarket with same features. I paid $560.00 and will hope for a recall to pop up.

Discoboy1
0

So I was fortunate to find a used RCD510 from 2013 on a forum, everything works now. Cost 400$ and installed myself. It's my first and last VW.

Mauzymb
10

I agree im going back to all ford

NomoreVWs
0

Add another one to the list. Same issue as the others. The radio finally came on one day while driving, but then I rolled the window down and it popped. I've tried working this issue out with corporate VW, but they won't even here it until I get it diagnosed. I even sent them this thread. Looks like VW is losing another customer.

Techjunkie Here
10

Well I have a 2010 Jetta SEL and same issue radio went out while I was driving on the interstate. Went to VW dealership and was told that I had to wait a week before looking at vehicle. Ended up going to a certified imports mechanic and they told for new radio will $1700 plus labor will be $2300+ I said I will not believe that I cannot get second hand radio. I told them do not work on vehicle I will pick up vehicle and go elsewhere.

vwnot
10

I have a 2010 VW Jetta TDI and my radio just went blank:-( the dealer and VW of America said have a nice day it will be $695 for a replacement$$$$ This will be the last VW for me i'm going for a Honda next (better customer service).

PetervB
10

Cheap solution to this problem-- I bought a new RCD-310 entry level radio on ebay. It works fine for me-- has only one CD not the 6 as in the premium 8 radio and no Sirius Satellite receiver. And no SD card reader. All of which I'm not willing to pay big bucks for. The radio cost me $99. Removal and replacement was simple, all connectors and wiring were compatible, just plug and replace(assuming you don't have the accessory power amplifier under the seat). Unfortunately I stupidly went to the dealer for a final diagnosis. cost me about $125 for them to tell me the radio was dead; Duhhh!! The only trick was to use a plastic shim tool to pry the front bezel off around the radio. my local library had a data base with wiring diagrams. The speakers probably sound better than a normal entry level RCD310 since the premium 8 installation has a mid-range speaker using a passive crossover network

mom_k
0

My 2010 Jetta TDI has a similar radio problem. When I start my car, the radio screen is black. After about 3 minutes, the radio comes on and works fine. I called the dealership and was told it might be a software setting or a bad radio. Again, $75 to diagnose.

gentry82
0

I own a 2010 Jetta TDi. While I love the car I just had a problem with my head unit. The CD player refuses to eject any CDs and I get an error message when trying to eject any of them. I'm a musician and use all the features of the head unit, especially the SD card reader, which I find extremely useful to load the tunes on that I need to learn. I listen to them while driving. In reading the responses to this forum I've noticed many postings for the 2010 Jettas whose head unit has stopped working. While it would be great to think that there might be a recall I won't hold my breath for one. Does anyone know if there's an exact aftermarket replacement for this head unit? I'm not going to spend $900-1k on one. Thanks for your help...

Mauzymb
10

Gentry82 Not sure where you are from and I know that cost is different from area to area. In my area the aftermarket unit was reasonable. Its all the add- ons that are so costly. Harness for the steering wheel controls was like $65 with $65 labor. The satalite tuner was $100 with $65 labor and there was something else. Total the least i could get it was just under $900 and that did not have the sd card reader. I went with the oe unit which come to find out has been superceeded by the newer unit that goes in the 2012's. I paid $560. Then there is an hours labor for install and coding unless you have the software to do that yourself. Hope this helps.