2010 Ford Escape - Check Engine and Fuel Fill Indicator Problem

Opfor
140

Asked by Opfor Feb 08, 2013 at 07:19 PM about the 2010 Ford Escape XLT

When I hit 28k on my 2010 Escape I noticed the Check Engine light started to come on and stay on.  Prior to getting this checked my Check Fuel Fill Door status was on my display.  When explaining the problem at the dealership they reset the light and then replaced the fuel filler intake.  I did not have this problem until around 39k and now the Check Fuel Fill Door status displays and then Check Engine light will come one.  I had Ford reset both of these lights and display on three occasions and keep wanting me to do a $100 test.  I told them no and that this problem was should have been addressed when they looked into it before my warranty expired.  Now I noticed that both the status and light come on only on certain times usualy if there is a warm up outside past 40 degrees.  Is there anything I can do to fix this problem myself because I believe that Ford is ripping you of this $100 test.  Because I was told there is no guaranty they could fix it cheaply after this test.  The codes were only one and it was for VAC LEAK SYSTEM.  But now I was told from Ford this is the fuel door again.  I checked the fuel door, cleaned it, etc. and there is nothing wrong with it to what I can see.   Any help???

Hans Dietrich
395

Try a new cap. That should have been the first thing tried.

Janey07
360

I have the same problem on my 2010 Ford Escape. .....and...there is no gas cap

Best Answer
Opfor
140

I know crazy, I went to dealership two weeks ago and had them clear out the light again. It lasted a week or so and then we had a warm up around here and wola the light came back on. Sick of it.

Opfor
140

And yes no gas cap its a fuel door thats it. Talk about a defective system.

Janey07
360

Possible recall for 2010 escape for stalling too. Numerous times I was caught in the fast lane of the highway and my car completely powered off! Still got the check engine light on!

citygirl
110

Yep I had the same thing. Fuel cap light went on a day after I put gas in. Dealer said to use the plastic funnel put in and out about 10 times to reset the light. It worked. This has happened 2 times after I got gas. Now engine light is on, to took my automotive place. Did test something about fuel leak. Everything checked out ok. Readjusted the flap in fuel tank. Everything ok so far.

kath2488
110

That car with the gas cap icon just came on this morning on my 2010 Escape no gas cap SUV @ 47,500 miles. It's due in 500 miles for an oil change, so it seems there is no rush to take it in earlier by all of your postings (Many many thanks!). I bought the extended warranty when I bought the Escape for issues like these, simply because I've had a couple Ford Aerostar Minivans before both with Transmission problems. I will try the plastic gas funnel recommendation & post my results.... I just filled up two days ago & it's over 95 degrees here --Will post my results.

kath2488
110

P.S. Ford Customer Service no. 1-800-392-3673 prompt 0; prompt 0; prompt 0; prompt 1; prompt 0. Maybe if we all call them, they may investigate

citygirl
110

Well, went for gas yesterday and today gas cap light on again. Called dealer said to bring in it may be covered, even if I don't have the extended warranty. This is so frustrating. and it is about 95 degrees here too.

You think this is helpful.
LoboLucy
50

Same problem here with 2010 Escape. Every time I fill it up, check engine light comes on within a few miles. After filling up and upon starting the vehicle, car acts like it's either choking or flooded, it sputters and acts like it is going to die. Took it to dealership for this issue while it was under warranty, they did nothing to actually fix the issue, now it's out of warranty, of course. Cars in NM will NOT pass required state emissions tests if there is a check engine light on in the vehicle. Never buying a Ford vehicle again.

kath2488
110

Just took mine into Ford. It was a VACLEAK... they replaced the Vac canister, valve, and sellinoid (sp.).. I bought the extended warranty when I purchased the vehicle, thank God! Just drove it on an 1100 mile trip and it sputtered a couple times (which upset me, since I just got it out of the dealership service dept.), but no warning lights on. I know about not passing inspection with the check engine light on, it is the same in Maryland. However, I am not worrying much more about this --- BECAUSE I'M GETTING RID OF IT ASAP! You couldn't give me a Ford with free gas and service the rest of my life...... NEVER AGAIN.... 3 Ford's, all three major issues .... NEVER AGAIN ! Does anyone want a 2010 Escape with 48,500 miles on it? Good price!

Michele Graham Davila
10

I am sitting at the dealership right now for the same exact problem, its been ongoing for over a year now on my 2009 Escape. I've involved Ford customer service hoping for some results finally. Dealership is running tests now to determine the "cause" and if any of this will be at my expense since its out of warranty. I have no intention of paying for something that is faulty on their part, will go back to Chrysler before that happens.

yankeegurl_2000
60

OMG...my first Ford, and I am not to thrilled with what I am reading and my recent experience. My engine light came on yesterday morning and it acted like it wanted to stall on me too, I'm scared to drive it. Upon calling them I was told I would have to pay $125.00 for them to do a diagnostic test in order to figure the problem out...go figure...Auto Zone test free!!! I took it to Auto Zone who ran an engine test and the test told them that it can be 2 things. The first is the same as Ms. kath2488 engine problem Vacleak, etc., the second a lack of Heated Oxygen Sensor etc. If these are the problems I have from a car only three years old, then I may as well go back to Mercury Tracer 1988 and Honda CRV, 2001 both vehicles lasted well over 100,000k in mileage and I had no engine problem. And this one didn't break 63k yet. As Arsenio Hall use to say, this is something that make you say hmmm, may not be the exact words, but you get my drift. Thank you all for your post, it was truly helpful. I will give an update once the problem is figured out.

You think this is helpful.
Angela Sanchez
20

Yankeegurl _2000 I was told the same thing by Auto Zone. I was wondering have you tried to any of the options Auto Zone suggested?

kath2488
110

I appreciate all who responded. Thank God I had the extended warranty! It was the vacuum canister and some sort of valve... of course when I heard valve, that to me was a big red flag at 48 k miles. I paid my $100 copay, had it fixed, and traded it in for a toyota suv over labor day. Every ford I've had since 1988 has either had transmission or engine problems. You'd think I would have learned --but no more!

Lucassie Uitangie
0

I bought gasoline from a guy perhaps diesel, will my ford escape start? Because when I was driving after filling it wanted to stop and afterwards, all the powers are shut down.

Kevin Brown Sr.
60

I have a 2010 mercury mariner with no cap and my engine light and check fuel intake light is on as well. Don't understand this

yankeegurl_2000
60

Hi Angela, yes, Autozone suggested it may be the oxygen sensor or something dealing with the Vacleak. I took it to a mechanic who told me the problem was the Oxygen Sensor and since I had a 2010 Escape I have 2 of them, so when he tested it, it came back as one needed replacing, and they wanted to charge me almost $500.00 to fix. So I took it to another person who fixed that for me $250.00 less than my 1st quote, and little do you know after that was replace, my car stalled on me again. To make a long story short I took it to where I bought it from, the problem was evap. purge valve and evac canister, which took them 2 weeks to get back to me about coverage and price. Needless to say it wasn't covered under my extended warranty and they quoted me over $600.00 to fix; which was over $200.00 cheaper at Stevens Ford. They replaced it and thank God I haven't the problem is fixed. However, I will not be buying another Ford.

erbsciii
30

first thing you need to do . ALL OF YOU! go to any place online you like and you TRUST , Purchase an ELM-327 tester , its what their testing your car with right now . its probably all their even going to do at all today these sensor testers are small and they'll even hook up to your phone, or tablet , or even a laptop allowing you to do what their doing all those times you say to yourselfs i bet they didn't even touch it with a single tool, reseting is now in your hands. the elm-327 used to be very expensive back before the age of laptops and tablets but now , well i got a model just the other shiped free to my door for only $11.00 had my choice of bluetooh or wifi , but i went with the usb model so if my friends wanted to borrow it it wouldn't be an issue what kind of port they had available or their laptop or tablet although most folks these days have bluetooh phones so wireless Baby Yeah.if anything else get one to test your car or truck before you take it in for its schedualed maint. so you'll know whose scammin Whom.

You think this is helpful.
danser254
10

Same problem got my 2010 ford escape new and this has been a frequent problem and is getting worse with time the little test thing wouldnt read a code for a long time with light on then when it did first fuel inlet then evap n who knows ive always been a chevy girl myself but ol man sticks with ford and the headaches

danser254
10

This needs to be fixed ive read several same or similar year model with same problems

Kevin Brown Sr.
60

I actually have the 2010 mercury mariner which is the same vehicle. I just got mine fixed. It was a leak in the fuel intake line which cost me $82 for the testing and $344 for the replacement part and service. I've had the vehicle for about 2years now. This vehicle is my second Ford and my last. Prior to this I've owned Chevy. Think I am going back to Chevy.

danser254
10

Yay after posting my comment yesterday i got a letter from ford with a recall one happy chick that is untill they "fix" it n comes back with the same problem but untill then yay shouldnt have taken this long ford anyone else recieve this recall letter?

Kevin Brown Sr.
60

I received a letter for free replacement on the throttle body, but when checked out it wasn't the throttle body so I had to pay for the service and was quoted $426 for repair !! I took it elsewhere for $344. Still wasn't too much cheaper

danser254
10

Ya i think thats what mine said did it fix the problem

Kevin Brown Sr.
60

No engine light and no check fuel intake. Had it serviced a week ago

Kevin Brown Sr.
60

When you go to the Ford dealership be sure to have the recall letter just in case yours is the throttle body

Myrons
20

I hope this may help some. I had a problem filling my 2005 Mazda Tribute with Gas (a rebadged Escape essentially). After no help from Mazda, Ford and NHTSB ( Yes, I could have had a Mazda dealer run the "tests" at a cost even though there was a technical bulletin on the issue). I finally found the problem myself. It was a clogged purge canister (charcoal canister), I replaced myself this which was easy and fairly inexpensive( canister retails for about $100) and it solved the problem (until it clogged again in 50K,) The fuel system is a closed loop so any component in it clogged stops flow. Some models seem more susceptible then others. If this solution does not work it could be other components in the evaporative emissions system as there is a filter and several lengths of rubber tubing included all around the fuel tank and filler tube area in my Mazda. Your warning lights sound like they are responding to a similar or the same problem, The " valve " noted in a couple of posts probably is not the problem and likely is expensive to replace as I believe it is internal in the fuel tank. I would first replace the purge canister or the filter in the evaporative emission system ( if you have one) which are as noted inexpensive and easily accessed. Also check the hoses in the system which are fairly obvious that they are not clogged. If you still have a problem then explore more expensive options,

Pistol01
0

My girl friend is having the same problems with her 2012 escape along with exhaust leaks and transmission problems. I told her not to trade her Honda ridgeline. I have been a Ford guy for many years but have a accord with 360,000 miles on it with no serious problems. Until the big three catch up with Honda stop buying them. I just saying;)

klakampj
0

My husband and I are having the same problem with our Ford Escape 2010. It also has the capless fuel tank. We have tried the funnel thing.,,,worked for awhile. The car still runs the same but just don't feel confident to take it on long distances. Fortunately we have a Honda Civic that we can use for long trips...still don't have a lot of money to dump into the car. The suggestions on this post have been helpful.

lancelotbythesea
10

The cause of my "check fuel inlet.." problem is, according to the dealer, a crack in the fuel filler neck which they are replacing. This problem began over a year ago and has had 2 previous fixes by the dealer that apparently were not the problem. I hope they got it correct this time. Oh, not covered under my extended warranty plan and there was a $135 diagnostic fee for a total of $330.... yikes

Teanay Brown
10

My vehicle is having the same problem on my 2010 escape now except my fuel neck or something seems to have somehow shifted and I'm having trouble getting the gas nozzle to fit in properly. I'm paying $100 for a diagnostic check as we speak :-(

livielinks
0

My problem is last night the "Check Fuel Fill Inlet" warning came on in the dashboard. I followed the instructions in the manual to "reset" and didn't work. This morning when I went to go get gas...the nozzle wouldn't go in. So off to the dealer service department only to be told since I bought the truck and didn't carry over the warranty properly it isn't covered and it is going to cost me $598 to repair the "neck" of the fuel filler. Go figure, the truck is a 2010 with 60k miles. The truck was just in for the "throttle" adjustment and inspection two weeks ago today..passed inspection and now is costing me. I'm thinking of selling and going for something else!

Alotaibim
0

Same thing is happening for me. Check fuel inlet and days after the engine light is on. Did anyone figure out the exact fix for this problem??

Larry2u
0

I have a 2010 escape w/76000+ miles on it. The engine light has been coming on and off for 20,000 miles. Need a sticker and now it won't go off. The check Fuel filler inlet comes on every so often. I guess this keeps the dealers w/ a steady income. I have owned a Ford since 1961, 53 mercury, had a 97 Ranger for 14 yrs. and this be my last one. Do we have a fix that I don't have to sign my life away to get? Not so far from what I read above.

klakampj
0

We have the same issue with our 2010 escape. The light has come and gone all summer. It runs OK and the gas tank is OK when we get gas. Just been driving it but pretty much just back and forth to work. Fortunately we have a Honda Civic for when we go out of town. Sure don't want to spend $600 on it like some of you have. Loved the car until this issue came up.......I had trouble with a mazda (which is basically Ford also). The engine was still under warranty but they would not honor it because I could not prove oil changes every so many miles. That was a horrible ordeal and basically paid for a dead horse for 6 months until we could afford to have a different engine put in. As soon as it was running,we traded it for the escape. Now this issue!!! I swore no Ford or Mazda after the first issue but my husband got the escape in his name. My name won't be on any Ford/Mazda products ever again.

fordescapesfromcustomers
0

Same problem (fuel filler neck needs replacement) on my 2010 Ford Escape. Dealer diagnosed problem. Symptoms were Check Engine light on and error message of "check fuel filler inlet". Dealer quoted price of $360 for the new fuel filler neck. Call Ford Customer Service at 1-800-392-3673 to file a complaint/case since this is a recurring problem (DEFECT) for many Ford customers with the fuel "capless" system from about 2009 until it's redesign in 2013. My area's Regional Representative from Ford made the decision that they will not fully stand behind this OBVIOUS DEFECT and fully pay for the repair and I was told there was no way to further escalate my complaint....that there was no further recourse. Are they serious? Are they not in the business of selling a product in which future sales depend heavily on repeat business? Wow folks....Ford has changed and NOT for the better. So long Ford. I enjoyed our decades of relationship when it was mutually beneficial. I'm not into one-sided relationships as you seem to prefer these days. Good luck in the future!

Fordpoorquality
0

I have 2010 Ford Escape and hit 45 thousand miles. Engine light on and ask for check fuel fill inlet. I just repaired injector coil, cost $350. Now I have to send car to dealer again for fuel fill inlet system. What a quality of Ford! I will never buy Ford any more.