2010 FORD ESCAPE FANS RUNNING CONSTANTLY

radioandy
5

Asked by radioandy Jul 20, 2012 at 12:34 AM about the 2010 Ford Escape XLT

I have a 2010 Ford Escape. Recently the Air Conditioning control went out and would not work on setting 1. At the same time the 2 radiator fans under the hood started running constantly and very loud. Took it to a Ford place, they fixed the switch and the air works fine, but the fans are still running at max speed and all the time. They say there's nothing wrong, or no errors showing up. Any suggestions?

137,565

Did they replace the fan relay?

radioandy
5

They said unless their computers showed a problem they couldn't replace it...

tijoeg
275

2010 ford escape 4I AWD I'm having the exact same issue the fan speed setting 1 ,also at the exact same time the 2 radiator fan spinning full speed and noisy i out of warranty but i fixed the fans speed by replacing the resistor I still having the radiator fans going crazy Very odd that we having the same issue that happen in same time If you the fixe for radiator fan let me know Thanks

ptl203
80

My wife's 2010 Escape XLT is doing the same thing. I googled it and this was the first topic. I am also out of warranty. The A/C and heater knob wont work on 1 and teh fan runs very loudly...Guess I'll brinng it to the dealership and let them fix it but I'm sure its gonna cost a pretty penny

Bratts
1,600

Wow, obviously a common issue. I started searching on the problem of the rad fans running steady but I also have the problem with the fan speed #1 not working. Has anyone found a solution?? Brad

Bratts
1,600

Found the problem! (well, for me anyway). There is a pressure sending unit that is used by the AC system that runs the rad fans to maintain proper head pressure (mounted on the top of the accumulator). If this unit is defective, the computer goes into a default mode and runs the fans on high. Also, I don't think there is any connection to the interior blower issues that have been reported. That seems to be more of a coincidence.

SMIS
160

Hi Bratts, do you have any more details about the location of the pressure unit and it's part number? To much of a coincidence, same exact problems after warranty on mine to.

Bratts
1,600

Hi SMIS The sensor is located on the top of the AC accumulator which is located on the passenger side of the engine bay. (I've attached an image of the sensor and its pin-out.) This device is not simple switch. It put out a voltage between about 1~5 volts to indicate the AC's head pressure to the computer. As the pressure rises, the computer reacts by turning the rad fans on low. If the pressure rises further, the computer runs the fans on high. A further increase will stop the AC compressor to prevent the pressure relief valve from opening and dumping the refrigerant charge. In my case, I found that at a certain pressure, the sensor would electrically go "open" and the output voltage would drop to 0 volts. This would cause the computer to run the fans on high and stop the compressor as a default mode

You think this is helpful.
SMIS
160

Thank you, i'll find out if it's the same issue pretty soon.

Newbie_123
40

Not Sure If It Helps ANYONE BUT. I Have The Same Problem. Ac Doesn't Blow Cold Air. Heat Works Fine. No Air When On (1) Setting But 2,3,And 4 All Work Fine With The Heat. Both Radiator Fans Kick On THE SECOND I START MY CAR And Do NOT Cycle Like They Should. Took It Back To The Dealer. They Seem Certain It Is Two Issues. Also They Said The Radiator Fans Were Running Because The A/C Isn't Working??? Here's What They Told Me I Needed Blower Motor Switch $108.30 Labor 1.5 hours --------------------------------------------------- Expansion Valve $168.00 Compressor $478.92 Receiver Dryer - $148.96 Condenser $377.77 Labor 4.5 hour _______________________________________________________ Total For Repair $1,931.40 Now Keep In Mind, This is a FORD Dealership Giving Me These Prices So I Know Their Prices Are Probably Higher Then They Should Be. I Just Got My Car 2 Weeks Ago And The Dealer Will Be Fixing Mine No Charge. Hope This Helps

Bratts
1,600

It sounds like they quoted you on replacing the entire AC system except for the evaporator and interconnecting piping! I wonder if they wold replace the engine if you fouled a spark plug... :) Keep us posted Bratts

Bratts
1,600

There's got to be something wrong here. I know that when the sensor fails, it doesn't throw any codes so the tech has nothing to go on. It appears that if the computer can't tell them what to replace, they replace everything. I would get another opinion! Maybe find a real mechanic that understands electrical and electronics to actually trouble-shoot the problem. (remember the old days when that's what mechanics did??)

Bratts
1,600

Did the "machine" bring up any codes? that could be useful information

Larry Hand
95

Brats I have a similar issue.....the rad fans kick on to high 3-5 seconds after engine is started regardless if heat or ac is on......my compressor also only stays on for about 5 seconds when ac turned on then shuts off .......when on line pressure is good (35)....when off shows high(70).....how do I validate a faulty cutoff switch on the accumulator?

Bratts
1,600

Hey Larry I just got my AC working again last week so great time for your question. My problem turned out to be the expansion valve. It was completely closed and wouldn't open causing excessive head pressure when all of the refrigerant got pumped to condenser side. Once the head pressure built up, it would take a very long time to equalize. As long as the pressure stays high, the computer will run the fans on high and prevent the compressor from running. At this point, I'm not sure if my switch was defective or if it was just doing its job. I know that it is designed to put out a voltage signal between 1~5 volts to tell the computer what the system head pressure is. In my case, it would go electrically open causing it to function like a "cut-off" switch. I replaced mine then discovered the expansion valve issue. I still had the same problem with the fans running and the compressor not running but the new switch never goes electrically open Do you have a way of checking the head pressure? It should be around 130~200 psig with the system running. If it's stuck around 250 or higher with the system off, the expansion valve might be the problem. I borrowed a set of gauges and that's when I found the problem Regarding the expansion valve, I took the old one out, removed the spring and seat, cleaned it and reinstalled and now it's working perfect. If it acts up again, I'll replace the valve

tijoeg
275

Nightmare continue........ ,but i fix my problem. Well let me explain my story I replace the AC pressure switch and the issue was still the same. I notice in the last Falls that my ac was stopping at high RPM. But i didn't worry because it was almost winter. But now in Ontario is very hot and humid When i put my AC ON was just working in idle or on a cold day. I decide to bring my vehicle to a AC repair shop to get a estimate of the repair. They said that probably my AC clutch that slipping when is getting hot.(make sense) I didn't really believe him and decide to do some test before replacing the clutch. Check the clutch and was ok. I was thinking and other people also said that maybe was my climate control unit. But again decide to do more test myself on the climate control. I notice that if i turn on the climate control on that the fan will stay on all the time even when i turn climate control off. I when to a friend garage and plug the snap on scanner again and test the climate control and all button respond properly. During those test i was monitoring the AC pressure and Bamm notice something wrong. When monitoring the pressure i notice that the range of the pressure was 2600 to 3100(kilopascal) average normal. The compressor was going on at the right pressure and go off when to high. But the main issue is the pressure was building too fast. Decide to remove some of the pressure from the AC system. Main problem was to much Freon in the system from factory. All the fan work ok and the AC is nice and cold That why also that i see in other post that Ford replace there complete system and that fix there issue. Im glad that was only too much Freon. I'm sorry about the grammar I hope that help someone.

Willis Mitchell
60

Hi Bratts, you seem to be the experienced one here. I have the same issue. It started yesterday out of the blue(bad Ford pun), fans run on high constantly, #1 on the ac fan control does not work, and the ac blows hot air with the compressor kicking on intermittently. Everything seems to work better at night when it is cooler. I cant check the line pressure correctly with the compressor not running but with it off gauge says 135psi. I have looked into the sensors and switches including the part # 19d594 pressure switch you mention above. But I also noticed there is a part # 19e561 accumulator switch that some call a cycling switch on the ford parts website that should control the clutch cycling on/off. My question is? Do you think I should get the accumulator switch or take another course of action initially. I don't want to drop 50$ on the part unless I absolutely need to. It seemed to fix your problem, right? Thanks Alot

Willis Mitchell
60

Along with my post above. I am trying to fix the AC not blowing cold air issue, not just the fans.

Bratts
1,600

Hi Willis. I'm an industrial refrigeration mechanic and controls engineer by trade so I understand the technology. It's getting the required information that's hard! Regarding the switch / cycle switch / sending unit.. or whatever you want to call it, I'm second guessing my original post regarding it. What I found and what tijoeg found (see above post from him), the problem with the radiator fans running on high and the compressor not running have to do with the high pressure situation. This is the high side pressure, not the low side pressure which has a different size gague connector. I had to borrow a set of compatible gauges to find the problem. According to tijoeg, he removed a small amount of refrigerant to correct the problem while I removed the expansion valve, cleaned it and reinstalled it. If my actual problem was too much refrigerant, I would have corrected the charge when I recharged the system. Here's another thought that may bring the blower fan into the fold: If the blower fan stops running, the expansion valve will close down causing more refrigerant to pump to the high side of the system (cndenser side). If there was more refrigerant in the system than the accumulator can hold, the system may "hydro-lock" meaning that all of the refrigerant is in liquid form between the compressor and the expansion valve. In this state, the heat from the radiator would drive the pressure high enough to lock the system out on high pressure. What got me thinking about this is that this issue always seems to be accompanied by the blower fan not working. What I suggest is replacing the blower fan resistor board (assuming that is the problem with your blower fan) and taking it to a shop that has the proper gauges to verify the high pressure situation. If so, they can use the gauges to equalize the charge between the low and high side which may correct the problem and get you back up and running. If that works, you can have them use the "subcooling" method to verify that the system is over-charged then remove some refrigerant to get the charge proper. I would shoot for 10F subcooling. The superheat should be between 5F and 15F You don't need to understand all this jargon but if the shop doesn't, take your Escape somewhere else. Also, keep me posted. I'd sure like to get to the bottom of this problem. I hope people aren't paying $1500 to $2500 to correct an issue that is caused by an over-charge! Bratts

tijoeg
275

@Bratts Very well said and explained.

Willis Mitchell
60

I messed around with it some more and took out quite a bit of 134. The AC runs good now. But the fans still run on high almost constantly. I noticed the engine bay gets very hot, more than any car I have worked on. The front bumper cover does seem pretty restrictive for a car driving in 100+ degree weather. But technicality aside, I was quoted 230$ for the repair. I let out a bit of R134a and now it works. Scammers. I still think Bratt's theory on the bad blower motor switch might have something to do with building pressure in the system. But tijoeg's solution helped me...for now. Thanks to both of yall for the input.

Larry Hand
95

Removing some 134 was the answer for me as well.....high side pressure was too high now cycling normal......fans are still constantly running on high however air is cold......I will keep researching and playing around with my new toy.....thanks for the help guys

tijoeg
275

When the AC is on the fan will stay on all the time. One of my issue was the fan was staying on even with the heater on ,but now they go off with heater on. Also after you turn the AC off the fan should come off after few minutes (sometime up to five minutes)

Bratts
1,600

Larry, the radiator fans should cycle between high and low as required for engine cooling and A/C head pressure as required. Do they run on high "all" the time or just when it's hot out? On a side note, my blower fan resistor board just failed again!

You think this is helpful.
brancikm
10

I apologize up front for my lack of knowledge or my overall understanding of everything being talked about here, but I have 2009 Ford Escape and AC stopped working. What caught my eye in this message blog was I do recall thinking the fan was running a lot and it appears I may have some kind of overpressure condition in my system due to coolant blow off from the relief valve, I’ll get to that in a bit. I took my vehicle into a non dealer mechanic and they evac the coolant and refilled with a dye. The AC worked again and it was assumed it was low and looking for a leak with the dye. Two weeks later the AC quit again (no cold air). I took it back to the shop and they said there were no obvious leaks and after evac and weighing the coolant (or however it’s measured) they said it was full. I don’t trust the accuracy of their measurement only because once the AC quit, I would periodically try to turn it on, and one time right at engine start (AC button was “on” on the console) there was some kind of blow off. I could hear the whooshing sound and saw a cloud blow out the drivers side of the hood. (the odd thing was no dye showed up from the blow off when the mechanic looked at it, I had checked with a black light too). So now the current mechanic recommended the dealer and I left. But the AC was working again with just a evac and refill being the only work done. Two weeks later same thing. AC quit, and I did see another blow off when cycling the AC button on the console while sitting in a parking lot. I had a new mechanic look at it yesterday. He said I was ½ lb low on coolant. He refilled with more dye and ran the system. He could not find any obvious leaks and said all components were operating as they should at this point. I have the vehicle back, AC working again and trying to keep better tabs on if there is a blow off of coolant before the AC quits. My thoughts were that something related to all the comments above is causing a high pressure situation and may be blowing off coolant while I’m driving and I don’t notice it while on the move. The coolant gets low enough and now the system shuts down due to low coolant (or whatever the diagnostic check is that prevents the AC from working when coolant is low). I’m stuck now waiting for it to fail again and checking for leaks via the dye, unless this information that you all have provided helps my mechanic. Any further advise/insight based on my experience with a blow off scenario that I can give to my mechanic beyond the above comments? (By the way, this new mechanic works out of his house and has a full up garage, lifts, coolant refill system, ect, all major equipment. I trust him over the dealer any day) Thanks Mike

FIXIT99_
30

HAD A 09 ESCAPE IN MY SHOP WHERE MY CUSTOMER COMPLAINT WAS HIS A/C WOULD BLOW COLD FOR A FEW SECONDS AND THEN BLOW WARM. THE FACT THAT EVERY TIME I SHUT THE VEHICLE OFF AND RESTARTED IT THE A/C WOULD WORK PERFECTLY FOR A FEW SECONDS AND SHUT OFF LED ME TO BELIEVE THAT IT WAS A PRESSURE ISSUE. BEING A BELIEVER IN THE K.I.S.S. [KEEP IT SIMPLE STUPID] THEORY I FIRST LOOKED AT HOW CLEAN THE CONDENSOR AND THE RAD WAS. FROM EXPERIENCE I LEARNED THAT NO MATTER HOW CLEAN A RAD MAY LOOK SOMETIMES JUST CORROSION IN THE FINS ARE ENOUGH TO CAUSE A PROBLEM. TAKING OFF THE GRILL AND SEPERATING THE RADS SLIGHTLY ALLOWED ME TO SPRAY BOTH SURFACES DOWN WITH CAR WASH SOAP, LETTING IT SOAK FOR 5 MIN. AND WASHING IT WITH A WAND HOOKED TO GARDEN HOSE ON A HOT WATER TAP AND THEN BLOWING IT OUT WITH COMPRESSED AIR. ALOT OF FINE SAND AND BUG MATERIAL WASHED OUT. APON RESTARTING OF THE VEHICLE THE A/C WORKED FINE.

dciviok
10

I have a 2010 escape that I got over the winter and I noticed a month ago that the AC didn't work. I thought maybe it had to be fill, when I put a gauge on it was in the red showing overcharged. Still thought maybe the gauge was reading wrong, after reading the overcharging from this site K.I.S.S. sounded like a good idea. I released pressure with a cotter pin until the gas release sound changed and it released some fluid put the gauge back on it showed in the good range. turned the AC back on and actually got cold air. Thanks

steamrolly
30

Just checked my Freon level today because I was getting intermittent warm and cold when driving in the city and the rad fan ran at high speed as soon as the A/C turned on. I found that the system was also overcharged. After removing some of the Freon the system appears to functioning normally now, rad fans are operating a the normal speed. 2010 Escape XLT V6

Bratts
1,600

I don't think the problem is an over-charge issue. I just got a copy of a SSM "Special Service Message" from my dealer. The problem is a defective "accumulator/receiver drier" that is releasing fine particles into the system and plugging up the expansion valve. This causes symptoms very similar to an over-charge and removing gas will improve operation for a while but it is not the cure. The fix is to replace the filter, flush and recharge the system. The problem is that most Ford dealers don't have a flushing machine so they just replace all of the components at the owner's expense! This has been a known issue sense Aug 26/2012 and the affected vehicles are 09-12 Marnier's and Escapes. What gets me is that there is no warranty what-so-ever regarding this issue. In some cases, the restriction can cause the pressure relief valve to pop, dumping part of the charge before the computer can stop the compressor. Does anyone know how to push this issue on an environmental basis? Bratts

Bratts
1,600

Here's a good read http://www.pissedconsumer.com/reviews-by- company/ford-motor/complete-ac-failure-ac-dryer-failure- 20130420402060.html

charlies
10

I am having the same issues, my blower switch isn't working on setting 1 or 2 and my fans under the hood is running max speed when the AC is on. Took it to the local shop and they purged the system and said there was a lot of air in the system and the HI pressure side was way too high which was causing the fans to max out and the AC to shut down. The shop just doesn't know what is causing the issue at this point. Anyhow after purging the air the fans went back to normal speed and the AC worked perfect for about a month and the same things started again. I took it back and they purged it a second time, its been about a month and its now doing the same thing again so its going back again this week. The AC isn't coming on at all this time.

steamrolly
30

Charlies, first if you haven't already replace your blower fan resistor; this will address your fan control issue. It takes some effor but you can do it yourself. The part costs between $20 - $40 pending on where you buy it. Second, take a look at 'Bratts' answer above. It is most likely particles from the accumulator that is causing the increase in freon pressure. At a minimum you will most likely need to replace your accumulator.

MarcR
30

I own an 2010 Escape and my AC only blow air (right now it's hot outside so it's blowing hot air). I contacted Form cistomer Service to issue a complaint....They said there is no existing recall on this problem....I file a complaint....If we all file complaint maybe FORd will do something or We could file a class action suit to recoup our repair money. This is obiviously a very common problem but FORD HAS TO KNOW ABOUT IT TO DO SOMETHING.

MyRide2
10

I also have 2010 Escape with interior fan that only operates on 4 (high). Levels 1,2 & 3 do not blow air. The Ford dealership said it's probably the blower fan resistor which the total cost to replace would be about $100. I just spent $430 having the throttle body replaced and know of another person with a 2010 Mercury that had to have the throttle body also. Sounds like I can count on the defective accumulator/receiver drier next. Wow, much more than I ever thought would go wrong on a 3 yr old vehicle.

Tito75
25

We have the same problem Escape XLT 2010 and our dealership says that we "need" to replace the whole AC system for just 4.000 CAD!!! Help!

tijoeg
275

Yeah true the system need to be replace or purge. This should be a recall,because so many people have the same issue. For me i release some pressure in the system,because i cannot paid $4000 to get it fix But since i remove some of the pressure it still work ok for now.

Bratts
1,600

Bring it to another shop that has the PROPER EQUIPMENT to repair air conditioning and have them flush the system, remove and clean the expansion valve and replace the filter-drier. The issue is in the filter- drier which is located on the left side of the engine bay and is piped between the condenser (in front of the rad) and the expansion valve. The descant in the filter-drier breaks down and plugs the expansion valve with particles. Once the valve gets plugged, it blocks the refrigerant flow causing the high pressure situation. A pressure sensor mounted on top of the filter-drier signals the computer to stop the compressor before the pressure builds too high but because the valve is plugged, the pressure remains high for quite some time and the computer runs the rad fans on high in an attempt to lower the pressure. Your dealer is opting to replace the entire system instead of flushing it because they don't have the proper equipment to do it. Have your dealer show you the SSM "Special Service Message" on this issue. It shows the procedure and the updated part number for the new filter. Ford's suggested procedure is to flush the system, OR replace everything if your dealer doesn't have the flushing equipment. If your dealer doesn't have the proper equipment to do the job right, they should have it sent to a shop that does. It's kind of like bringing your car to a shop to get a flat tire fixed and they opt to sell you a new tire/rim combo because they don't have an air compressor to pump up your tire after plugging the hole... Also, even if you don't flush the system, the new filter-drier will filter out the particles before they can plug the valve up again. This is what I did with mine and have never had another problem with it. Bratts

Tito75
25

Thanks a lot guys, they told us that they flushed the system and then reduced the pressure as well. It is working ok for now but it's not summer here. They suggested that we replace everything (for 4.000 CAD) but definitely that's not a choice for us. Thanks for all the info, we will take it to another dealership.

MookieMartin
10

When will Ford be making a recall on this issue? I know 2 other 2011 Escape owners with the same issue as me. Also, I was in a parking lot when an Escape drove by on a cold day, and I heard the engine revving full with fan belts on full blast. My gas mileage stinks too. I was quoted initially for $2500 for the replacement noted above. Later my dealership offered $1700 as a new price. Also said the part is on backorder - sounds like a lot of demand. "RE-CALL" I bet the lawyers are working harder than my fan belts to try and prevent this!

Tito75
25

You got lucky! For us here in Vancouver BC the dealership asked for 4.000 CAD in order to replace the whole AC system, totally crazy! Would be nice if we can get more owners with the same issues so Ford can give us a better answer or RE CALL!

Davesoutdoorworld
0

Hi Guys I have a 2010 Ford Escape XLT 6cyl and recently the air started blowing hot and my fans were running full blast. Car was not hot. The air would cool when temp outside was under 70 and around 60. I came to this site and found answers. Bratts was partially right. I changed the Presure sensor on top of the accumulator, 138 dollars at Ford and that was not it. I then took it to pep boys and I told them what Bratts said about clogging the filter. They checked and the presure was very uneven and over charged on one side. They told me I had to change out the condenser and expansion valve and filter and recharge for 1200 dollars. I told them to take out some about 7 ounces of frion and lo and behold it worked all the way home and a cpl hours later when it reached 90 i took it for a spin and all was cooling good. so I will report again to let you know all is still ok. There was another guy on here said he did the same thing and it stopped working a cpl days later. But I did change the ac pressure switch on the accumulator very easy to do.You can probably get this much cheaper at a parts store. Good Luck...

Davesoutdoorworld
0

I have a 2010 Ford Escape XLT 62,000 miles on it and a 6 cyl. I have had the air and the throttle positioning sensor go out and replaced that myself. the trans on this escape has always seemed funny to be right from the get go. When ya take your foot off the accelerator it does not idle down right away its like it hesitates a bit. I have a clicking noise like in the suspension when i hit bumps, had it checked and nothing yet. I tell ya I was very leary about purchasing this escape with only a 36,000 mile warranty and sure enough it feels like I am going to get bitten. not sure if i should trade it while I can or not...

fordman86
0

Well have a 2011 escape v6 xlt with the same issue still in warrenty. Fans on high right after start up and a/c doesn't blow cold air along with no air on first setting just 2-3-4. Will check back in after seeing dealer.

jrp2010
10

I am having the same issue. I got a ac pressure switch but the one I got is a 2 prong and I think the one on top of the accumulator is a 3 prong. Can anyone help clarify?

ixray4u
0

Having the same issue with my 2010 Escape. Out of warranty of course. Out of the blue one day last fall the air conditioner started blowing hot. Pulled into a small gas station and they said my AC compressor shut down because too much pressure. Let some freon or whatever it is out, and it ran fine. For one day. Also noticed a cloud of something blow out once upon starting the car with the AC on. I had forgotten about that. Dealer suggested I replace the accumulator assembly and some other assembly which I put off until March when I was due for an inspection. They also stated that now the AC pressure was too high and removed some. Then they repaired a small leak. Right now they have given me a loaner car until they figure out whats going on because after a day it stops blowing cold again. Seems as if it is cool outside it does work, because one cool evening I tried it and it seemed to work. I started taking care of this in March so I would have it fixed by the time the hot weather came, and here we are in May and it still isn't fixed. Will check back in.

Justin3xx
0

Ok so I am having the same problem as described above. 2010 Ford Escape A/C blows cold air (ice cube cold) then blows warmer air sometimes. It is off and on for the last week now. It mostly happens when temp outside is above 82 degrees. With the car in drive and A/C on it starts off cold. Then you feel a slight clunk (the A/C clutch) disengaging and warmer air starts to fill the cab. When it is blowing out cold air everything seems to be fine. The air is cold and the pressure off the gauge is within limits. Condensation builds on the accumulator and drips from the cab orifice. The minute the car starts to act up the clutch disengages, cab temp becomes warm, and pressure on low side rises to 100 PSI and the condensation dries up from all the lines. The warmer air sometimes last for seconds, or minutes. The time is never the same. I tried to troubleshoot by swapping the tail gate relay and A/C Clutch relay with no change. So the relay to the A/C clutch is good. I also washed out the condenser of all the bugs, sand and debris which was suggested on another forum. As of this morning it was working great but it was on 72 degrees on my 28 minute drive into work so the hotter temps have yet to come today. My next step is to jump the high low pressure switch to see if the clutch stays engaged or not. If it stays engaged I am thinking it’s my high/low pressure switch of am I way off. Thoughts or ideas?

Jason Flannery
80

Issue is with a flawed design. There is a bag I descant balls that literally explodes and fills your entire cooling system. Everything needs to be replaced. I am at 80000 and the dealer and ford canada are paying most of it except for 250 because it's a known issue and terrible design. Frankly I believe it should be a recall to replace. Also you will notice huge paint chips stripped from your wheel wells. I have a 2011 and this is the worst car I have ever owned.

stratmoen4477
30

I'm trying to replace that sensor/switch that Bratts referenced but I cannot figure out how to remove the old one? Anybody know?

Alisdair
30

I have the same problem. $2850 + tax to fix. Apparently consumer report says this is a problem with Ford Escapes. Time for a social media campaign to complain to Ford. They are making a lot of money from us and taking a lot of our time.

You think this is helpful.
kensy2014
20

I had same problem with my escape 2011. Radiator fans was running all the time no matter if AC was on or off. I only replace the thermostat for a new one and also the AC pressure switch and problem solved....

Chuck Crance
50

Wow. This is pretty disheartening reading all these posts...just bought a 2010 Escape XLT with 48000 miles 2 days ago. Everything was fine yesterday. Guess what happened today.... No fan on 1 or 2 and radiator fans at full speed when AC is on. I DO have cold air on 3 and 4. I have an appointment with the service dept at the dealership I bought it from tomorrow. Curious to see how this works out......

Tito75
25

Welcome to the "Escape" Club! Please let us know what they say... We must do something all together with this obviously recall issue.

Chuck Crance
50

They said it was a blower resistor. They replaced it and so far it's working fine. We will see what happens.

LincolDC
10

Chuck... you were right. And here is a good website to fix it on your own....http://louissimons.com/2013/ 07/replacing-the-ac-blower-resistor- on-a-2009-ford-escape/. Hope this helps everyone.

Chuck Crance
50

.but my fans still run full blast when the AC is on. Any ideas?

Absal
0

my ford eccape 2002 model xlt 2.0. my problem plug 2 and 3 not funtion.I replaece a new coil. Help me

Wail
30

Hi I have the same problem fan runs all the time put I get a high motor temp Reading and car shuts off. Any help

Jason Flannery
80

My issue was\is a known issue with the Escape. The build on the desacant bag for the air filtering is faulty and disintegrates and through balls throughout the entire fan system and gives the engine fake readings and causes the engine fan to run non-stop. They replaced it all but there was a $300 Good will gesture cost to replace it. It's a several thousand dollar job but the dealership and ford Canada covered the costs (half each). I took the issue to Ford Canada several times. Filed a BBB claim. Their response was - we have already given the owner (me) a response and will not investigate further. I talked to several people at Ford Canada and no decent response given. The Dealership stepped up and covered the $300 Good will gesture cost (no good will on my part.) but Ford Canada knows about it. It's an issue with these the same as the rusting out of the wheel wells.

Wail
30

Hi and thanks for the reply is there anyway to test to make sure this is the problem

Jason Flannery
80

They know. The desecant balls are all over. You would have to get the dealership to verify though.

roadhogron
30

I am having the same issue with the engine fan running all the time on my 2010 Escape. It seems that it is related to the AC unit. I noticed that if I turn heater select knob to vent only instead of defrost or AC position the fan quits running. The reason this works is because when in defrost position the AC pump is activated which is the same as having the AC on which is the reason the fan comes on.The AC pump is activated in defrost mode because it dries out the air which helps defrost the windshield. I hope this bit of information sheds some light on the subject. Also in one article someone mentioned that the fan belts were screaming with the fan being on. This is incorrect because the fans are electronic and do not run on fan belts as with older engines.

Jason Flannery
80

Thankfully, I have unloaded this vehicle. I had the issue resolved via warranty. Three months later, same thing happened. I also had two other things go on it with just less than 100,000. KM. I have since replaced this with an F150. I know it's still a FORD but I can't tell you how relived I was to get out of this SUV.

Alisdair
30

Unloaded mine as well. Took a financial loss but glad to get rid of a Ford. Alisdair

Surf579
0

Does the freon come out when you take that sensor out to change. On top of the accommolator

tijoeg
275

No there a valve under the sensor that prevent the freon to come out

jeff4175
10

I've worked for a ford dealer for 35 years there is a technical service bulletin if the blower motor does not work on any speed replace the blower resister replace the receiver drier evacuate and recharge the a/c system and your problem will be fixed

MarcR
30

OKAY ....SORRY...Let me be a little more specific.....My ENGINE FAN IS RUNNING CONSTANTLY ....NOT MY BLOWER MOTER........My blower fan runs perfectly....there is no need to change the blower fan relay!!!!

Greg Corning
30

Help, 2012 Ford Escape and the same problem. AC blows hot air. Spent $800 so far and two days later hot air again and the fan is running loud.

Greg Corning
30

This really seems like a manufacturers defect! If Ford doesn't reimburse me I will find a way to return the favour by avoiding Ford when picking a rental car and by avoiding ownership of a Ford in the future. I bought it used with 92,000 km from a guy a few months ago in the winter. What a dick, he knew about this problem and I only discovered it when the winter left and summer arrived.

Jason Flannery
80

It is and they know about it. Most dealerships will avoid it but you can get them to fix the known issue of the exploding desecant bag and only pay the $300 good will gesture. I actually took it as far as the BBB and the Dealership, not Ford Canada was the one who fixed it free of charge. I would never buy another Escape. I did however buy an F150.

graciemark
50

I have a 2011 Escape and am getting ready to take it to the dealership tomorrow. Air went out about 4 weeks ago. A local shop told me it had too much freon and took some out. I couldn't figure out how that happened because no freon had been added, ever. One week later, same thing...they took out more freon. I stated that this seemed weird and something more had to be going on. Two weeks later, same thing. I called a Ford dealership and asked if they were familiar with this issue in my model and they said they were and that it required a dealer modification . No specifics on what exactly the dealer mod would be. No one else would be able to fix it is what I was told. Estimate: $800.00. Since it only has 50,000 miles on it and this seems to be a difficult issue for a random shop to fix, I'm just going to go ahead and take it to them. I've already spent money at other places without the problem getting fixed. I don't want to throw away money while other people try to identify the problem. And Ford obviously knows what the problem is. I hate paying that kind of money, but if it gets fixed, I'll be happy. It's 90 degrees here this week!

Bratts
1,600

I thanks for your post graciemark, please let us know what the fix is. Bratts

You think this is helpful.
MarcR
30

Gracie/Bratts, This may be useful: I think that they probably did give you a break with the $800 estimate My initial estimate from my dealership was $3,200.00 !!!!! SERIOUSLY!!?? After I called the FORD Customer Service Hotline they told me to call that dealership back, they had "worked out a btter price". I called that dealership back and they gave me their "rock bottom price - huge distcount".....the new reduced price was $1,900 !!! WHAT A FREAKIN DEAL !!!!! Early last summer I took the car to Midas, who claimed to be experts at this type of AC problem. they charged me $860 to fix the problem. They too initially thought that by releasing some of the freon the system would work okay. I told them that it would not work, same thinking as you Graciemark....why would the system all of a sudden commulate excess freon when no one has put any addition freon into it???? Anyway....I have taken this car back to Midas 8 times....YES, that's right...8 times since June of last year. When the A/C stopped working this last time, about 2 weeks ago, I called the Manager ofThat Midas and told him that I had been more than patient and that I wanted a FULL REFUND!!!!! He agreed. However about 3 hours later he called me and said that He had a friend who was a service technician at Ford. This friend told him about a ....it was either a pressure transducer, sensor, or relay that might be the problem. Apparently when this item goes bad it sends a signals to the car's computer telling it that the car is too cold. This shutdown causes the freon to build up in one of the pipes so it reads high (sort of like it's accumulating there and will not run though it system and also causes the system fan to continuously run. He said that he wanted to try replacing that item to see if this would solve the A/C problem. This will be done this weekend. Most of his other fixes only lasted a day or two, the longest fix lasted about 2 weeks. I'll let you guys know in about a month whether or not this works....if so and if this is part is located where I think it is anyone can change this for themselves ...and I think the parts only costs about $50 or so.

graciemark
50

Bratts/MarcR, It's so hot here this week, I went ahead and made a service appointment for tomorrow. The person I spoke with was pretty confident it would be fixed. She didn't even have to look up a quote for how much it would cost when I asked her about it...that's how familiar she was with the problem coming through the dealership. My big fear is paying $800 and that not fixing it, but I'm hoping since it is a dealership, they'll step up and fix it if they don't get it right the first time. The woman also said they had an Escape in there right now that was getting the same type of work. When I get my invoice for service tomorrow, I'll post back and let you know what parts and services are listed on there and what the real, final damage is as far as dollars go. I don't expect to know if it really works until a few weeks pass. The last time I took it to the shop, they did get it cooling for a couple of weeks before it stopped working. I'm going to have trouble believing it's really fixed for awhile.

graciemark
50

Just got back from the dealership. The total damage was $811.22. At least they did a good job of preparing me with the quote. It only took them 2 hours. (I had been asked to leave it all day.) The woman who processed my invoice stated that the guy who completed the service was so accustomed to doing these that he was super fast at it now. On the invoice, they have a comment about what they found when they examined the Escape. Here's what they wrote: Found A/C blowing warm, found water intrusion from cowl, Frozen evap core and burned up blower motor resistor. They charged me $100.00 for diagnosis, even though I was told they knew exactly what was wrong.:/ Then,there's the list of parts/service. *Diagnosis 99.99 *Replace Blower Motor Resistor 55.00 for part/50.88 labor *Modify Rain Hat/Cowl 109.99 *Replace Accumulator Drier 199.38 parts/98.99 labor *Evacuate and recharge A/C 153.99 *Shop Supplies for Repair Order 26.40 (not sure what that means?) Totals: Labor $517.96/ Parts $250.26/Misc.Charges $26.40 Then, $16.60 tax A tough pill to swallow, but I'm hoping it never has to go back for this issue. They assured me they were positive this was the exact and only issue. Hope this helps someone else with diagnosis and repair. I'll update in a few weeks to let you know if the repair sticks.

Greg Corning
30

First, thank you graciemark. Second, does anyone know what modify rain hat/cowl means?

Greg Corning
30

It looks like the hat/cowl is an area over the dash that is letting water in and corroding the blower motor resistor. I watched a YouTube video, bought one and replaced mine. Part was about $50 and it did look a bit corroded. Now I have fan blowing on first setting whereas before it wasn't working on first setting. I am still not getting cold air. FYI, I did have the evaporator replaced and suction line a week or two ago. When the shop replaced it the cold air worked for a day and then the problem returned. I can tell if I am going to have cold air even before I put the AC on by the loud fan running under the hood only shortly after starting the engine. Graciemark, I am looking forward to hearing from you again in a few days.

graciemark
50

I'll be sure to update on how it's doing, Greg. I wish I could have found someone who could have diagnosed it and performed the labor without going to the dealer, but no one had a clue what was going on.

Greg Corning
30

I paid $850 so far to have the dryer and the suction tube replaced with OEM parts. Today I took it to the dealer and I was told that the other garage shouldn't have done that because it is not enough. The whole system needs to be replaced and their quotation was $3000 parts plus labour for a total of $4624.23. I paid $100.57 to have them evacuate the system so that the high pressure isn't not activating the fan non-stop. I drove home and the fan was on constantly. Even that solution of deciding to forgo AC didn't work to get rid of the constant fan noise. Now I have spent $950, without a fix and the fan is still running. I called Ford Canada, got a case number and then they called me back, told me to keep my receipts and that there is nothing they can do at this time. I am so defeated that the only thing I can do is promise to repay Ford by never selecting their cars in the rental car lineup and never buying another Ford as long as I live. I tend to keep grudges so I will be doing this for sure. I am also looking into small claims court for the total cost so far, the repair and $25/day for my discomfort of not having AC. This is a manufacturers defect.

Greg Corning
30

Oh ya, might I add that I sold my 2005 Escape with perfect AC so that I could buy this 2012 Ford Escape. Life sucks.

graciemark
50

That's awful. I was hoping that the dealer fix they performed on mine would work for you. I wonder if it's a difference in how bad the problem was with mine vs. yours? Maybe mine hadn't gotten to the point of being totally replaced? Before this, I've had 2 Fords with no issues. I got 250,000 out of the first one before giving it away to someone who needed a car and then 150,000 on the last one. I was hoping for the same type of performance and mileage out of this one. Still too soon to see if the repair is going to hold. It is working right now.

Greg Corning
30

Someone, anyone? I have accepted that I bought a car that does not have AC. The system has been emptied of refrigerant but I still have the loud fans running constantly only seconds after starting the vehicle. The dealer thought this would stop the fans running constantly. Can someone tell me what to do to stop the fans running all the time?

Courtlb17
0

Hello! I have a 2012 escape.....same issues as everyone else. Interior fans blow but not cold. And radiator fans run high all the time. Temp gauge on car is right in the middle...my dad is pretty savy with cars so I think I will try and just replace the pressure sensor..unless anyone has had luck with anythingetting else!

Greg Corning
30

Hi Courtlb, please report back because I am trying to figure out what will stop the fans from running on high.

tijoeg
275

Have you guy's look at my fix? You guys have all the same problem. I fix my by releasing pressure it been working since (2 year ago) It didn't cost nothing for me because i have a friend that have the AC pressure gage If you guys want in detail just look at my post

graciemark
50

Before I got mine fixed, the shop where I took it released some pressure and purged the system. They said there was "too much freon", but they really meant the pressure was building up. I had to go back 3 times in 4 weeks, though, because it would stop working again. I was spending $50.00 each time to have them release some freon. I decided I might as well get it fixed since I was spending money to not get it fixed.:) I drive 6 hours a day sometimes, though, so I spend a ridulous amount of time in that Escape...couldn't stand it in this heat with no A/C. I should also say that at the same time the A/C problem devoloped, it started running really sluggish and the gas mileage has been horrible....not like it should be with a 4 cylinder and not like it used to be.

Courtlb17
0

Thank you guys for your help! I am having it looked at but will decide what to do once he says what is wrong with it. How much do u need to let out?

Greg Corning
30

Thanks Tijoeg, I am in a similar situation to graciemark. We tried to let some refrigerant out twice before I got the big quote and explanation from the dealership. So now I am going with the solution of not having AC. All of the refrigerant has been let out. The fans still run on high (and loud). After a 2hr drive yesterday I release the gas again. There shouldn't be any gas but there was. I suspect there is gas under high pressure in the system that is blocked by the desiccant particles. Over time this pressure should subside, especially if I continue to release the gas the returns to the section of the closed loop of the system that has the relief port. I think I am already noticing the fans coming on high a little later. Going forward, despite being just outside the warranty I am going to take Ford Canada to small claims court. I will argue that the design of the system is flawed and the desiccant bag is defective from the day the car is made. I have a case number that Ford issued me when I called them. I suggest you call Ford if you have not already to ensure they are aware of you. I don't expect to win but I am prepared to express myself.

graciemark
50

Also, just in case Ford ever issues a recall, be sure to keep ALL of your receipts from repairs related to the issue. If they issue a recall and you've paid out of pocket already, they will give refund the amount you paid to fix the recall issue....even if it wasn't a recall when you got it fixed. It does take awhile to get your money back, though...dealt with this on a Chevy Cobalt.

Dickford
0

I had been experiencing the same problems as listed above, and this forum has been a great help in forcing the dealership to fix my car. After multiple email exhanges with the service advisor and about a week of having my Escape in the shop they finally found the problem. Here's what they fixed; Replaced blower fan resistor, replaced evap temperature sensor, purged and recharged refrigerant. My cooling fans are no longer running on high at all times, my blower fan now functions on all speeds and my AC is as cold as ever. Total cost of repairs... $222. Hope this helps!

Greg Corning
30

Hi Dickford, What year and how many miles or km is your Escape? I guess what I am really asking is if your vehicle is still under warranty?

Dickford
0

2011 Ford Escape, Just turned 80k... It's no longer under warranty.

Cory Hanson
0

How do you remove a little bit of the Freon?

Greg Corning
30

First I should say that lower the freon (refrigerant) is probably a short term bandaid solution unless it was overcharged in the first place. Think about what you do when you let air out of a tire, you go to the stem, take off the cap and press that center piston (not sure of the correct name) down to release air. On your Ford Escape the AC line has a stem with a cap on it. It is located near the front passenger side when standing in front of the vehicle. The AC pipe is silver and it is still solid.

MarcR
30

Releasing the Freon will work for about 3 days then the problem will resurface. I working on the solution of changing the pressure sensor and blower relay which some else here suggested. That will be a permanent fix.

Greg Corning
30

MarcR, what problem do you mean, the fan running constantly? For the solution you are suggesting, won't the AC still blow only hot air?

jasthomps24
0

I have a 2012 ford escape as well and High cooling fan. So far it will run whether the AC/Heat is on. However we heard a loud grinding noise prior to all of this happening and now my AC dont work either. I had "High Pressure" and released it several times to the point I dont have any left. I assume I have Bratts issue of the "Drier" (Accumulator) going out and blowing the particles thru the system. It has been suggested to me to replace the Accumulator and Compressor and flush the system out. I have been too busy to do so in the last couple months but hoping to accomplish that this month. Greg- have you looked into this??

jasthomps24
0

Also the High fans will remain off when you have your cabin fans off AC/Heat

Greg Corning
30

My fan would run on high constantly and after changing the dryer and suction tube the problem returned. I took it to a Ford dealership and they told me the whole system must be replaced all at the same time to ensure the desiccant is totally gone. Fords estimate is $4600. I let all of the refrigerant out of the system and the fan stopped running on high. Obviously I don't have AC with this solution either.

MarcR
30

Sorry about the lateness in getting back to you. I was in Las Vegas on Vacation. Had a rental car there with plenty of AC. OKAY........Here is whatI was told by the Midas Manager (they tried to fix my AC last May....I brogut the car back to them 8 times after that.....Only after I demanded my money back for a repair that did not work did he come up with a possible solution.....It seems that only a hand full of Ford mechanics know this or They know this but don't want to tell you so they can charge people 3K to 4K for this repair. What he said was that when the gasket material dissentergates (not sure if I spelled that correctly or not) it spews out the gasket particle throughout the system for some reason this also causes the blower resistor AND YOUR A/C pressure sensor to fail. This pressure sensor sends a message to system that your engine and running hot (continuous blower motor) and shut down the valveon the high side because it's also is sending a false signal that the cabin temperature is too cold (excessive refrigerant). My problem s that a) my car blows only hot air. b) my engine fan runs constantly while the car is on. Only just recently did I notice that my interior fan blower motor only works on speeds 2 and 3. So I would say that before you pay $3,000.00 to $4,500.00 for Ford to "replace your ENTIRE A/C System" you try changing both the A/C pressure sensor and the blower resistor/relay. Both are pretty simple to do if you are somewhat mechanically inclined. I would do mine myself But if I do I cannot get any reimbursement from Midas (people who fixed my car) and now I moved and Midas is 5 hours away !!!! Once this is done I'll let you guys know if it worked.

graciemark
50

Just to update, my repair by the dealership is still working. I took mine to Paul Miller Ford in Lexington, KY for anybody who is in the surrounding area. Even if you're not, it might not hurt to call their service center and act like you're thinking about bringing it in...describe your problem and see what they say. Again, my air was blowing hot, stopped working on setting 1, then 2, and was showing too much Freon pressure. They didn't replace the entire A/C, just the things I mentioned above. Good luck, everybody!

MarcR
30

Hey GracieMark: What are the "things" you are refering to?

graciemark
50

Hey, MarcR, This is what the dealership did to mine about 3 weeks ago: *Diagnosis 99.99 *Replace Blower Motor Resistor 55.00 for part/50.88 labor *Modify Rain Hat/Cowl 109.99 *Replace Accumulator Drier 199.38 parts/98.99 labor *Evacuate and recharge A/C 153.99 *Shop Supplies for Repair Order 26.40 (not sure what that means?) Totals: Labor $517.96/ Parts $250.26/Misc.Charges $26.40 Then, $16.60 tax

graciemark
50

Someone mentioned this above, but I also had a weird grinding sound right before things went bad in my Escape.

MarcR
30

@GracieMark......So Did This work???? If so how long ago was this performed???????

MarcR
30

Oh ...Okay...I see it was 3 weeks ago. Is it still running okay?

graciemark
50

It is still running okay. My air works on all settings and is running extremely cold. I had taken to a place twice before going to the dealership and all they did was let out some Freon. That fix only lasted a few days. Decided to stop paying somebody to NOT fix it and just went to the dealership. I didn't want to keep paying money to people to not fix it, lol.

graciemark
50

My fans were running all the time and loud before, too. I just didn't relate that issue to the A/C. Everything is fine now.

jasthomps24
0

Thanks (Graciemark) My cousin works at a Kia dealership and recommended the same thing except possibly replace the compressor too, but we may skip that if you didn't need to replace it.

graciemark
50

I don't know if there's a difference in the degree of the problem. Mine sounds like it was doing the same things as everyone else's. If there is a difference in the repair, I would think that maybe some of the vehicles are more far gone (for lack of a better expression) than others...and maybe that's why some people are being told to replace the whole system. I was told by someone at the dealership that when people want to replace the whole system (unless the compressor is burned up), it's usually because it's easier to replace everything than diagnosing all the little fixes. I don't know if that's true.

DirtMcGirt
0

I'm experiencing the same issues as everyone else here on my 2012 Ford Escape. First two settings were not working with heat/AC and motor fans were blowing in the dead of winter. Brought it to get fixed and they replaced the motor blower resistor which I thought had done the job. Now in summer months I have found that the AC blows warm air. The service center I take it to had the TSB that graciemark referenced, however they did not alter the cowl nor replace the accumulator drier as they thought it was "redundant". Obviously it is not because I was still getting only warm air. I brought it back and they replaced the Motor Blower Resistor again and altered the cowl. Still not working. I am bringing the vehicle back today and asking that they go through the whole TSB. Hopefully this works. I am leaving for a vacation on Saturday and my wife will be smitten with me if I have no AC in the car!

jasthomps24
0

Please see my story above, but I just fixed my 2012 ford escape and was super simple and cheap. I bought the accumulator and flush kit. First you will have to have your system evacuated (Small ma and pa shop) then disconnect the bad accumulator, the hose from the Evaporator can stay, disconnect all lines at condenser, Flush Evaporator, condenser and lines, we didn't touch the compressor. Hook everything up and have the (ma and pa shop) do the vacuum and recharge. My cousin's buddy owns a small shop and I got a deal on it but buying a flush kit, accumulator, and recharge came to $210 compared to the thousands the dealership quoted.

Greg Corning
30

I had mine flushed a couple times. Each time it worked perfectly for a day to a few days and then the same situation returned.

jasthomps24
0

Well I am also curious if it will return. But we vacuumed the system 2 times once before we worked on it, then once before we filled it. when we flushed the system we ran it thru both ways to be sure. I have heard that sometimes the condenser gets plugged and so maybe look into that.