Has anyone else had a problem with sudden acceleration in a KIA SOUL? Mine was the 2010 comment. with picture by, Sandy Gr

SandyGr
55

Asked by SandyGr Aug 12, 2013 at 11:24 AM about the 2010 Kia Soul Sport

My 2010 KIA SOUL which we bought from the dealer fully reconditioned used (one year ago), took off from a dead stop at a stop light with my foot on the brake when I began to release the brake to move forward. I was a car length behind the pickup in front of me and my KIA Soul jetted SO FAST, it shook and made this high pitched screaming sound, on it's own that it "slammed forward" into the pickup in front of me.
After impact, I couldn't stop the car from continuing to push into the pickup which pushed into the car in front of him and that one into the next car in front, but when I slammed "my KIA" transmission into PARK, it continued to push and I could only get it to stop by turning off the key! The RPM's were as high as they could go on the dial and so was the speedometer, they were buried on the dial. I've never had a ticket or an accident and I am a very responsible and honorable working citizen and wife and mother of 42 years. I was merely in town, one mile from home, driving to my mother's house. The traffic was extremely heavy and none of us were going over 35 MPH in a 40 MPH zone when we slowed and stopped for a light after a long and slow drive down a hill. I was about the 10th car in a row from the light with stopped traffic behind and in front of me.
The impact caused severe seatbelt bruising and my left foot hit the brake pedal which I was trying to "BRAKE" and also my left foot (which had been comfortably resting) hit the ridge of the fender well on the floorboard where you can rest your left foot on. My foot has some issues but it is not broken. I also have sinus infection from the chemicals of the airbag. NO ONE came to my aid but to the others. I got myself out of my car and ran to the others apologizing and showing great concern for all others involved. No one else was hurt badly.
I had (and still have) full coverage insurance however not PIP coverage on me (at the time but I do NOW) and my Drs offices' are scared to treat me even though I have confirmation from my Blue X Blue Shield that they will in fact cover the medical costs since I did not have PIP insurance for myself at the time. (My injuries are all still pending since the accident was recent on July 20th (2013) and it is now Aug 12th, 2013). I also have muscle separation from the seatbelt (thank heavens it works!) and hemotoma. I have been treated at an urgency care clinic recently but in another state since I was destined for a trip 6 days after the accident anyway. My insurance co., has totaled the KIA since it has massive front end damage including the engine was pushed into the firewall and the frame of the car was bent and cannot be repaired however they cannot "completely" payoff the loan so I am stuck with the remaining cost of the loan. I WILL NOT be purchasing ANY KIA at all in the future, of any size and model even though I loved my KIA for around town and it saved alot on gas but not it didn't get what it said it would get. It got 20-22 MPG around town. I never took it out of town.
I will stick with an American made car and one that is big and trustworthy! We own a Chrysler Pacifica for a second car, at least it is reliable and that is what I will drive for now, the heck with trying to save a few bucks for mileage!
I have contacted the KIA dealership and they said without them researching the problem of which someone would have to pay for the tow and "pay" for them to do the research, they would not be able to help me!!!!! GEEE...do you think they might find a problem with their car??? I doubt it!
Obviously the Insurance company owns the car now!
Sandy

SandyGr
55

Continued from Sandy Gr comment above: Also my 2010 KIA SOUL had been lurching periodically when I would pull up to a stop ever so slightly the few times I drove my KIA just before the accident when I would brake to a stop and then it would "stop" correctly. I thought, "what was that..." and it would be ok so I just thought it was the anti brakes or something......and I should take it in for service soon! This had happened only a few times just before the major collision (see comment and picture but I will attach one more picture here). The accident happened on a Saturday (7/20/13) and I was calling KIA on Monday to take it in for the lurching problem and for it's yearly service. I only drove it around town and occasionally out on the freeway around town, I never thought about major "problems" with it! It only had 34K miles on it but we bought it used from the dealership (with a SMA) and I hadn't put more than 4K of those on it myself in a years time! Consequently, I went to KIA several days after the accident to show them my bruises (using my other car) and they said since the KIA didn't make it to the shop they would only check it out if "someone paid for the tow to the shop and paid for the shop time!" Hmmmm... Well, since the car is totaled and owned by my insurance company now, it is out of my hands and I am left without the car being completely paid off and medical expenses and injuries and heartache for hurting other people which I would never do in a million years! I was given a ticket which I am going to court to plea my case to the judge and I will take any and all documentation I can find because I didn't cause this to happen! My perfect driving record of 45 years has been tainted and they all think you're crazy! Thanks KIA! The moral is: Don't buy foreign cars! My second car is a 2005 Chrysler Pacifica and I was just trying to save the mileage and fuel consumption but I will be driving it from now on! It is American MADE and I feel safe with it! It has 54K miles on it and NOTHING has happened to it!

68,215

Thanks for sharing. Too bad a small problem escalated into a huge one. You might want to consider talking to a lawyer.

SandyGr
55

SInce it occurred 3 weeks ago, I am in the process of working through all of this. Thanks for your comment. SG

Ramon Quiray
0

My issue with my 2010 soul is the esc light keeps on lighting up at freeway speed.took it to the dealership twice and never really solve the issue.

Brittany Anne
0

I have a 2010 Soul! and I am experiencing the same issues, it just started occuring this year. I found this post because just today I was driving a steady spead of about 40mph and coming up to a stop when all of a sudden my RPM spiked high and my car accelerated signficantly. I had to pump the brakes for it to slow down. This is the 4th time my car has randomly accelerated on its own and it is VERY scary (no accidents, thankfully)! Each time is usually when I'm slowing down to a stop. I brought the car to a Kia dealership today, I'm too scared to drive it now! My car has a clean title and never been in an accident, only has about $47k miles on it. After reading Sandy's story, I'm glad I decided to bring it in. I hope they can figure out the issue!

lsmith5319
0

I had the same SAI issues with my KIA Spectra. For weeks, the RPM accelerated even when I was at a stop sign. It kept jumping-up wanting to take off. One day, it did and I hit a wall, etc. Now I am disabled and ANGRY......

jckmuzak
35

Is this for automatic trans, or manual? I recently purchased a Manual 2011 Kia Soul + recently and not had that issue.. I wonder if the automatics is prone more on this acceleration issue?