My 2010 Fusion dies out when driving

bandb
0

Asked by bandb Apr 29, 2012 at 01:18 PM about the 2010 Ford Fusion SEL

Driving on interstate 70 mph Fusion dies out as if it is not getting enough fuel. After getting over to side of road, turn engine off for 10 minutes and starts right up and purrs like a kitten.  Diagnostic tool shows no problem...thought it was bad gas and spent $500 to get that taken care of but 2 wks later died again.  This car is too dangerous to drive, Ford dealership mechanics cannot find problem....any ideas?  The only similarity is that both times we were going up a slight incline.

jinxlab
30

I had a similar problem on my 07 fusion. Ford replaced the coils, plugs, wires and the PCM. I paid a total of $0 because it was covered under a factory extended warranty (they had a TSB and extended the warranty to 80k miles for this problem). Ford did me right and I will be buying another one.

Mandy Skogebo
10

I just had the same exact problem yesterday on I10. Totally lost power as if it was just not getting gas. Stopped for 5 minutes and it started up again fine. Guess I will take it to the Ford Dealer. Do I need to take it to the same place I bought it? I have moved.

cathisander
10

This happened to us in April 2014 driving our 2010 Fusion SEL with 60,000 miles in South Carolina late at night. Sudden loss of acceleration, like gas not working. The wrench warning light came on about 30 seconds before the car totally quit, just enough time to get to the side of the highway. No power for about 20 minutes, did restart but we weren't going to drive it away. Had tow truck take car to it to dealership, who said they've had to replace a few throttles because of a problem with them. They replaced the throttle for free, although there's apparently no official recall. Has happened to at least one other Fusion owner I know in the last month. Ford needs to recall and fix this before someone gets hurt. It makes me not want to purchase another Ford.

bstguess1234
0

Just happened on a 2012 Ford Fusion SEL last night, wrench came on right as the car just totally stopped and my wife said she lost control of the car with no power brakes or steering. Car started up after about 5 minutes and she was able to drive home. Not a good thing and very doubtful if we will ever get another Ford product.

kerfmn
0

My 2010 Ford Fusion SEL had the same problem. Turned out to be a throttle body which they replaced at no charge. Here is more information - http://www.fordproblems.com/trends/electronic-throttle-body/