Just bought 2009 outback... lights won't work and check engine light on!

kanterbrau
30

Asked by kanterbrau Jan 16, 2014 at 06:02 PM about the 2009 Subaru Outback 2.5i Limited

Bought an '09 outback today, 104k, limited 2.5i.  As I was driving it home, I found that
while the running lights work, I have no high or low beams or fog lights.  Simultaneously
with realizing this, the check engine light, vdc light, and flashing cruise control came
on.  So, is this all related?  Is it a serious problem?  I have it over at the dealership
where I bought it and am hoping to find out whether this is a fuse/relay/small issue or
something bigger...

tuff4x4
8,535

It could be fuses but with all these problems I would want to see a carfax so you would know if it had been wrecked.

judge_roy

I believe (and the faithless want to shoot me) you've got a grounding problem stemming from the Main ground connection off the battery....chase the 1/0 battery cable where it attaches to the frame/ground....wirebrush the chassis...wirebrush both sides of the lug (hold with a pliers) put them together for a restored 300 cold cranking amps potential....battery should be just fine if it's a 2009~

82,425

Since you just bought it, they should cover the repair/cost.

kanterbrau
30

Oh yes, the dealership will be paying for it. I just am trying to devine if this is an unhappy coincidence or the mark of major problems to come. The carfax was pristine and the car is beautiful and drives like new.

tuff4x4
8,535

With all those lights on and others not working it could be a big electrical problem or as easy as bulbs, alternator going out or fuses.

kanterbrau
30

actually my main question is really: would a problem with the headlights (fuse, switch, relay) cause the check engine light and flashing cruise? If it's one issue I will be happy getting it fixed for free an moving on... if it can't all be explained by one issue than I am concerned. Thanks for your replies.

82,425

It's probably all related, like the Judge says possibly a grounding issue, electrical wiring or bad battery. Wait and see what they find.

kanterbrau
30

Neutral switch, which the wiring diagram shows controls the headlights, reverse lights, and a few other things. It was replaced and paid for by dealership. The car is running great and there have been no issues since then. Thanks for the replies.