The rear drivers side door will not open from the inside or the outside on our 2005 Escape, would you have any suggestions as to what may need to be replaced?

hlm2009
0

Asked by hlm2009 Apr 20, 2013 at 10:22 AM about the 2005 Ford Escape XLT 4WD

I did turn the child lock on, but I can not get the door open to turn it off to see if that would solve
the problem (besides that, I don't want to take the chance of having the door not shut, better
shut that open)

14,245

sounds like there is a problem with the latch or a rod has come off. I would lean more towards the latch because there are seperate rods for inner and outter handles unlikely they both came off.

DavidH25

There was a recall on that. Recall ID # 33870 - LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH Full Details Recall Date DEC 20, 2004 Component LATCHES/LOCKS/LINKAGES:DOORS:LATCH Model Affected Escape Potential Units Affected 262113 Read more: http://www.motortrend.com/cars/2005/ford/escape/recalls/#ixzz2R0v721fT

14,245

well then again it wouldnt open from the inside because of the child lock is on. The outside handle, rod came off or the latch are the options.

14,245

Thats for the rear hatch latch (rhyme time) not for any door latches.

14,245

I got to do a job twice the other day cuz I didnt read installtion directions. thats how I roll!

DavidH25

Second thing I learned today I read the details but apparently didn't pay attention by skimming over like I did ..I caught the word "doors" and made an assumption..and we know what happens with assumptions

DavidH25

Instructions? We doan need so stinkin' instructions

45,935

Roll down the window on the working door and try to look inside to see how it works. You could also remove the working door panel.

hlm2009
0

Thank you all for taking the time to answer! I will go with the rod coming undone and have somebody look at it. The rear latch does stick in the summer but is fine in the winter, so I'll have to check into the recall!

14,245

Post your vin on here i will run it and see if it has the recall