What is this clicking sound while trying to charge the battery in my Chrysler Town & Country?

Chris Tucker
25

Asked by Feb 24, 2013 at 05:39 PM about the 2009 Chrysler Town & Country Limited

We sometimes have an issue with the driver's side sliding door not closing properly, then the battery
dies. I've been charging the battery with a 12V 2 amp/10 amp charger (on 10 amp setting) for a few
hours now, and it seems to be charging the battery, but I'm hearing intermittent clicking sounds coming
from the area of the fuse panel next to the battery. Also, the clicking usually coincides with the console
turning on/off or blinking. I tried putting the charger/starter on the jump start setting then tried to start
the van, but no luck. I put it back to the 10 amp charge setting for now, but it's still clicking sporadically.

7jimmy7
16,705

sounds like a really dead battery!sounds like so dead its clicking the breaker in the charger ,cutting current and diming lights ,unhook one bat. terminal and charge ,something in van is drawing as fast as you charge,remember also + to + on connections

179,065

Jimmy is right, the battery is toast. How old is it ? You can take the battery out up to your local auto parts store and they will check it for free.

Chris Tucker
25

The clicking sound is coming from the fuse panel next to the battery, not the charger itself. Thanks for your suggestions. I'll remove the battery and take it to the auto parts store. I'll let you know how it turns out.

Chris Tucker
25

I took the battery to AutoZone, but they said they'd have to try to charge the battery before running any test on it, which would take about 45 minutes to an hour (they were closing in 15 minutes). So I brought it back home and connected it to the charger directly. I had previously only tried to charge it while installed in the van. This time, the battery took a charge. I put it back in the van and it started right up. So now the question is, why wouldn't it take a charge while hooked up to the van?

Jim Demestihas
215

I suspect the battery is over 3 yrs old and will slowly lose its charge. If its 3yrs +.....replace it

7jimmy7
16,705

why no charge in van.the van was wanting all the current for something,lights on or a short somewhere or alarm trying to go .a full charge and your good for awile, till you fix the killer drain,if you could get the button that triggers the door and disable it