2005 Ford Escape XLT making a LOT of noise when turning or going up/down hills... what gives???

chiro2007
0

Asked by chiro2007 Jan 29, 2010 at 03:17 AM about the 2005 Ford Escape XLT

My wife's 2001 Ford Escape was totaled about a month ago. We decided to buy another one and searched around until we found a nice 2005 Ford Escape XLT.

During the first 30 days the vehicle ran great... very smooth... I couldn't believe how well it was running. The vehicle just hit 90,000 miles.

The past week, my wife and I noticed that there seems to be more and more "creaking" in the rear end of the vehicle. It appears to be coming from the back tire axle... that's what I think. I even got into the back hatch and had my wife drive around the neighborhood and the sound does seem to be coming from directly below (the tire axle).

Does anyone have any suggestions as to what the repair might be from the problem I describe? I am going to take it in to the shop soon... when we can afford it.

The sound is rather loud and has come out of no where. It's so loud when we go over a bump in the neighborhood, I wouldn't be surprised if the damn back axle didn't just break off.

The vehicle was bought by a small dealership... the vehicle has a clean car fax as well.

Any suggestions on what it is???

Thanks,

Eric

Charles Sifers
245

It's hard to say from just your general description, but bushings are the first thing that comes to mind. The Escape has a lot of components in the rear suspension compared to solid axle vehicles, so there are a lot of places to potentially make noise. With 90k miles, it is reasonable to expect bushing wear, especially depending on the environmental conditions. If you don't notice any weird handling characteristics on accelleration/decelleration (suggesting a broken bolt or control arm), I doubt you have to worry about the "damn back axle" breaking off, but I would have it looked at by a competent shop soon.