what are dealer fees and what is a typical amount?

Akielle
0

Asked by Akielle Feb 01, 2013 at 06:29 PM about the 2009 Mercedes-Benz E-Class E350 4MATIC

Just before closing the deal on an internet car purchase from out of state, the salesman said there was a
dealers fee of $995 and a reconditioning and shop fee of $1495. Is this typical or are they just adding
fees to make up for the low price that they advertise?

judge_roy

seems like they are goin' to juice ya- find an independant guy that you can come and sit on his desk until he makes it right-

53,285

Those fees seem outrageous to me. I would walk and not look back. Find another car from another dealer. This dealer is out to rob you.

DavidH25

Ditto on tenspeed's answer and do it NOW, you should have taken Vaseline with you

DavidH25

I mean ditto on both tenspeed and Bob

DavidH25

Tell us you have not closed the deal Akielle...please?

53,285

TGIF Bob?

DavidH25

Bob, Bob, have a vodka and tonic...works for me

judge_roy

Every day is Friday for me. Been benched with MS. Payed TirePros $80 to replace my cracked MINI mirror as I would have had a temper fit. Those bastards kept the old one! the motor and housing were perfect. Some lucky bastard will sell them on ebay for $45, oh well c 'est la vie~

7jimmy7
11,485

ahh. blunt I mean a,bout. too much suprise added costs ,i never trust when they have 95 or 99 at the end of price

judge_roy

...you can FEEL the added service!

judge_roy

the question is why is a 4-matic so much better than a Dynaflow with three, or a Buick with two...or a MINI with one CVT??? tell me that smartypants!

7jimmy7
11,485

the more gears the more evenley the power flows, this saves fuel,, new arrivals have up to eight speeds now [sounds like fun] the cvt is the most promising to me , its simple [i like simple] its one gear so to speak like a snowmobile drive and variable wow ,are they sure they want something that may not need much service? if built correctly its gonna be great

judge_roy

the MINI gets 20mpg runni 91 octane. It's hard to get used to the CVT, as the RPMs will be around 2100 and you are going 65. Really designed for the Autobahn more so than US highways- the M/S mode moves the follower down a scrunch to act like a racecar, taching you into the red zone, if you let it. What fun!

7jimmy7
11,485

I hope to own one some day myself !

judge_roy

MY wife insisted on buying us the automatic. Should have insisted on a cooper S. the zero to ten miles an hour is comically sluggish with this CVT, 'course should have had the 30,000 mile maintenance. Kind o a slow dog startin' out -the basic coop. not a road monster. it's only got a 1.6 litre engine. We have the 13,000 price broke down over fifteen years- Not too bad, if all you want to do is have fun....the ladies jaws tend to drop as now you've been relegated to the likes of a fashion accessory~

Akielle
0

Thanks, that is what I thought and no, I did not get the car from that dealer. I have purchased vehicles in the past and I don't remember ever having a "reconditioning and shop fee"!!!!!

PIERREL
35

Walk away from this deal. All dealer fees are bunk. Does Walmart charge you a seller's fee? Neither should they. All the dealer fees in this country amount to $Billions of dollars. Let them earn their fees the honest way!

Mike Rabkin
365

Are you by chance in Florida, because fees of that magnitude are rampant in that state. In any case, yes, it's profit. Ask the dealer if you can get a ride in the boat you're helping the owner pay for with these fees. Here is a glossary of automotive buying terms that include many fees dealers try to add for additional profit. http://www.fromcartofinish.com/Glossary_From_Car_to_Finish Feel free to contact me should you have any car buying questions. Mike Fromcartofinish.com

judge_roy

If you really really want a car, price means nothing!

Mike Rabkin
365

What are you, a salesman?

judge_roy

Drive a MINI, then be blown away!