What does the M symbol on the gear shift of an automatic 09 chevrolet silverado for?

melissanhicks
0

Asked by melissanhicks May 20, 2012 at 07:48 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 LS Crew Cab

82,245

Never saw an M before. Did you look in your owners manual?

trip65

try the owners manual .

Joey Couldcareless
110

The "M' stands for Manual. By shifting the gear selector to "M", the number 1 will appear. By pressing the up button on the shifter itself, It will display numbers up to 6. It's purpose is that it "locks-out" all gears above it. So for example if you wanted to tow something like a trailer and you didn't want the transmission to shift higher than third gear, you would select "M" and press the "up" button until a 3 appears.

Matt Hill
895

You can also have it hold gears longer and tell it when to up shift or down shift when you want within reason. Also if you select 2 for second gear it will start off in 2nd which over time can cause your transmission to wear out.