I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. I have recently started having transmission problems. It will shift into like 1st gear and will not shift anymore.. I can stop, turn the engine back on and it will shift right. any ideas what is causing this? I took it to Aamco to have the transmission flushed and they told me I needed my transmission rebuilt. But I have read lots of reviews about them saying that rather it needed it or not.. Please I need help

tmlsml
0

Asked by tmlsml Jan 21, 2013 at 08:44 PM about the 2009 Saturn VUE XE V6 AWD

53,735

Find a Saturn forum. Ask other owners about common transmission issues.

Luke Wozniak
245

These transmissions in the v-6 Saturn vue models only( as well as the Saturn outlook, gmc Acadia, Buick enclave, and Chevy traverse) are all prone to transmission failure up until the 2010 model year. There is a specific part(3-5-R wave plate) that was made too brittle and will eventually fail, causing shifting issues, chiefly not shifting into reverse. The transmission will likely need to be removed and rebuilt. I would not waste money on a transmission flush.

GMCustomerService
1,855

tmlsml, Sorry to hear you're having issues with your 09 Saturn Vue. If you would like to private message me the last 8-digits of your VIN, I would be glad to check to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages on your vehicle that may be related to what you're experiencing. If so, contact me at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Vanessa in the subject line. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Leamc1
100

2008 vue - 60,000 miles. Transmission failed today with no warning. It started hesitating a little when I put it in reverse over the weekend, but nothing big. I planned to take if for an check today, but the transmission went before I got there. Best part, powertrain expired 6 days ago and I was told by the dealership that GM probably won't honor any of it. So disappointed.

mkath13
120

My 2008 Saturn Vue just had the exact same problems as above. Started hesitating shifting to 3rd, scared the heck out of me! Was able to get home using the Manual. Then it would not go into R to get it to transmission shop. Looking like a $3000 fix.

mkath13
120

Very glad I searched this Vue problem- was thinking of replacing a 2006 Envoy with an 09 or 10 Acadia- this problem is on all General Motors Corporation crossovers 2010 and before!

MaggieI
90

I too am stRting to have issues with my 08 vue. Does anyone know if there are any recalls for the transmition issue?

Saturnbaby
10

Got a diamond in the rough.....At about 75,000 miles I used my 2008 Saturn vue with ecotec 2.2 4 cylinder to tow a loaded uhaul one axle trailer..I got a flush before the trip, and had Uhaul's heavy duty transmission cooler installed. Went on 70 East from St. Louis to Maryland...still saw a steep few hills. Now it is at 100,000 miles and so far no issues....I am a big believer in Transmission oil coolers.

lacey112892
20

LEMON LEMON LEMON.......My 2008 was just paid off 30 days ago and the transmission is starting to give me problems at 65k miles. This is so unbelievable. Saturn ran, GM bought them out and has now left Saturn owners stranded. GM will never be a vehicle I will ever own. One word DISGUSTING.

mkath13
120

If your Vue starts shifting hard beware... the transmission is going and it will cost $3000. And read up on how to use the Manual it'll save a big tow bill.

sdstubbs
20

I have had a lot of issues with my Saturn Vue 2008 and GM does not stand behind there products. I had a chevrolet tracker that I loved and did not have alot of issues with that vehicle. I think when you buy a vehicle the dealer and GM should stand behind there products. I think this is why people end up buying foreign cars. This is the first time to buy a Saturn. I would not buy another one if they still made them. I work hard and two jobs and a son in college.

Christopher Chris
150

I have to break into this Saturn hater party......I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 5 speed manual. Coming up on 200,000 miles. This car only had some hydraulics in the clutch go out and replaced the clutch...plus some plastic gear shift parts....and the normal brake job stuff....that's it. Awesome car. My 2008 Saturn Vue is now over 100,000 miles with the 4 speed automatic....I'm telling you all...get a heavy duty transmission cooler...yeah the parts in that automatic transmission get brittle with age....keep them cooler and make them last! I am not saying that my transmission may not fail tomorrow, but if it does, I'll replace the transmission and keep the car....its almost paid for and my wife loves the heated leather seats!

hawker
60

my 2008, transmission just failed, the wave plate was replaced, $3000, and GMC will not help me out, even though this is well known. After being a loyal GM customer for 40 years, I am saying goodbye!

kkent
40

How do they get away with continuing to sell this car. We bought a 2008 Saturn Vue 5 months ago with under 50,000 miles from a GM dealer and now the transmission is going....5 months!!!!! I am sick to my stomach that they feel this is ok to continue selling this model and even more so that they take no responsibility. My one year old niece was in the car when the engine starring revving like crazy on the highway , I want to know how people sleep at night knowing they sell an unsafe vehicle. They will not help us in any way. Absolutely positively CROOKS!

Juan Antonio
120

I have a 2008 satum vue xr i having problems with the trammision i want to know if is a recall. Please i need a answer

Christopher Chris
150

First of all, realize that getting 100,000 miles out of an automatic transmission front wheel drive car is success. Anything over that is gravy. The question is not will the transmission go out... but when? For a lower mileage car, power flushes at factory intervals and an aftermarket transmission cooler can get you to the 100,000 mile mark or at least close to it. The parts on this transmission get brittle with age because of the high temperatures, so realize that if you wait until later, the damage might already be done. Keeping the transmission cooler will help extend life of it. I am over 100,000 miles right now on the original transmission, same car as what you drive. I think I am just lucky that I did the right thing early enough. For shifting problems with a transmission that you suspect may have good internals, the problem may be a simple electronics issue. Perhaps just a bad sensor or relay. Replace the faulty part, and the problem is solved. Its how these shops make money these days, and sometimes they can fleece you for a whole new transmission, or the mechanic does not know how to fix it, and figures an "all in" approach to replacing everything will fix the problem, so watch out! It is possible to learn how diagnose this yourself, its just a matter of how much time can you invest learning how to troubleshoot?

nappierandrea
80

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that just hit 70,000 miles. I bought it from the dealership with a perfect score TWO YEARS AGO and it already needs a new transmission. I cannot even explained how shocked I am. Bids to replace are between $3,300 and $4,200. This puts me back up to the amount that I took the original loan out on this POS. I will never, never, never buy a GM car again. I am absolutely disgusted. I guess they never fixed the problem after the Class-Action Lawsuit won over the faulty 2002-2005 model transmissions. F*#k GM.

Christopher Chris
150

Anyone buying these used will replace the transmission at some point, and can be difficult to budget for. For a used Saturn, there is no recall, and no warranties. There are warranty companies that will honor a warranty on this vehicle, and will replace your transmission if you sign up before it goes out. However, most people find this out after the transmission goes out. I feel bad for folks stuck in a bad financial situation because of this. I mean, $3000 to $4000 for a car repair can max out a credit card or wipe out an emergency fund, making budgeting very difficult. Sometimes it is better to trade the car, broken, and as is, instead of fixing it. The car still has some value, and if you get something that doesn't break down, you can eventually get out of the upside down situation.

Rosemary Pastor
40

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue and the transmission went at 30,000 miles in Nov, 2013 - absolutely frustrating and disappointing. I don't drive much so of course the warranty had run out. It cost me $4000+ to replace it with what I thought was a "new" one, but later found out it's a rebuilt transmission. I know there was a class action lawsuit against the 4-cylinder Vue that was settled back in '08 that applied to older years. Does anyone know if there's a class action suit against the 6 cylinder Vue??? Disappointed in CT

alikhed
30

I have the same problem. My 2008 Saturn Vue XR had a transmission problem. Took it to GM in Calgary and the service was beyond disgusting ! Lied to me for 1 week saying my car is being checked, I go look and it's still sitting there... they finally take it in and say it's the transmission and will cost me 4500 ! Without a choice I said yes, 2 weeks later I go to pick it up, the engine light went back on while I was about to leave but the service rep told me to just go ahead because it's just turning on from the cold ? Odd answer but I'm no mechanic. I get home and it's still on so I go back to GM, they try to lie telling me the 02 sensor is broken and needs to be fixed !! First of all, when would this 02 sensor of broke if it was fine when I brought it in ?! After many hours of waiting they kept it AGAIN in the shop to 'look at'. No clue how long that will take now ! I am so disappointed in GM, this has been by far the worst service. I will NEVER buy another car from them nor will my friends and family. As for the transmission, they found a piece of metal inside which was obviously due to the manufacturer ! No clue how to continue with my complaint, this is ridiculous.

lkihl
40

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. Started shifting hard and hesitated between gears. Writhing 2 days it was gone. Hole in transmission. $3500. 82000 miles And the power distribution component burned up a month later. $700 I recently had the car decide to shift into 1st gear while driving and remain there. Apparently it's related to a safety sensor. If you turn the car off and restart it, it resets it. Not a great glitch to have on the interstate! All I can tell folks: Avoid this make and model :-(

amd2
20

My 2008 Saturn Outlook just did this on Easter on our way back from visiting family. In a span of 2 hours it started to shift hard with a lag and then on the highway it decided that it was not going to be in any gear at all and the RPM would just rev up and not go. so we coasted off the hwy and into a parking lot. Put it in park then back in drive and it would only shift into first gear. We were only 20 minutes from our house and with a 1 year old and a 4 year old, waiting for a tow truck was out. We putted along in first gear at about 25 mph up for a good ways and then it would drop out of first gear and not go. turn the car off and turn it back on and it would work for a little further, did that a few times and then it officially wouldn't work any more. Luckily we were only 6 miles from home at that point so some nice lady and her kids took my husband home to get the other car while we waited for the tow truck. The dealer said that it is a plate in the transmission that helps it shift that went out. Thankfully the super comprehensive warranty we bought for it doesn't expire until July... Now I am seriously considering extending it.

Christopher Chris
150

I would definitely extend the warranty, and keep the vehicle if you can. They brought back the Vue as the Chevy Captiva Sport....as a fleet vehicle only. Its a timeless design worth keeping despite the headaches. Get a heavy duty transmission cooler put in also. It will extend the life of the transmission. I am going on 120,000 miles on the same original 4 speed transmission. I have flushed it once, and the cooler temp seems to help extend the life of that plate you are talking about. I think everyone should just plan on an automatic transmission going out at some point. according to a transmission repair shop I just visited, the new plate is an improved design and should help you get more life out of it before it goes again. The other thing you have to watch out for is the front hub and bearing assembly. Its an easy replacement if it has not frozen in place (steel in aluminum glaze issue causes bonding)....but O'Reilly's has the best 3 year warranty on that part...well worth it to get rid of the front end vibration. Iv'e heard the rear two will go out as well....just something to keep in mind and plan around. The repair at the dealer will run you about $800 per axle including parts.

You think this is helpful.
Anielsen1
30

This problem happened to me, I have a 2009 vue xr. And just like with EVERY other problem, I was told numerous times by "certified" dealerships that they didn't know what the issue was because no code had been stored and even if a code was stored, the car would automatically reset itself. Potentially clearing info of known problems. Finally I was told it was the transmission. I'm sick and tired of trying to maintain my vehicle and having the manufacturer tell me "they don't know what's wrong" and the pr

Anielsen1
30

And "the problem can't be reproduced" It frustrates me to no end when I look back at how many issues I've had with this car and how long it actually took GM to figure out what was wrong with it. I have kept all of the documentation relating to the issues I've had and it's ridiculous how thick the stack is! GM should be ashamed of themselves. From what I can see, Everyone would have been better off if GM had gone bankrupt. I will never buy another GM vehicle for as long as I live (I'm only in my 20s). And every chance I get, I tell people to avoid any and all GM vehicles like the plague, that it is!

mkath13
120

Now that the best transmission shop in Detroit rebuilt the transmission, this car rocks- it's better than new. And they said it is a known issue. It's a given it's going to go.

Jrow
10

I am reading what everyone is saying and I am shocked. I just took my car in with transmission problem. My car has 68,000 miles on it and my extended warranty expired at 50,000 miles which makes me believe they knew a problem would appear after the 50,000 miles. GM needs to be responsible for their product, building a transmission that won't hold up to the life of a car. Very, very disappointed. Basically, I wasted my money on a car that is not worth the money.

EAS84
10

I have a 2008 VUE XR and my trans went about a year and a half ago at around 60,000 miles. Because Saturn is no longer, the Chevy dealership handling the warranty claim (which had JUST expired less than a month prior) had to send out a "beacon" across the nation to get a "remanufactured transmission" and I was without vehicle for TWO MONTHS because the warranty company only allowed a 4-day rental!! Trans died literally without warning- none whatsoever. It worked great, then I went to start it at the store after shopping and it wouldn't go in reverse. I LVOE Saturn, always have- this is my 3rd one! But this vehicle line is a lemon and I have had NUMEROUS other problems with it, one after the other after other. Once paid off next year, it's got to go.

EAS84
10

Oops- **LOVE (lol) and the trans cost $4000 also!

Kartboarder22G
60

Yea my transmission just went out in my 2008 saturn vue XR at 76k and GM will not help out in any way. Very disappointed in this car and what has happened to me will steer me away from their cars in the future. If they could have helped out then customer service would have earned my future business, this is an unfortunate loss for them and I.

fairwind
30

I had the same problem. I have a Saturn Vue 2009 and the transmission is giving me problems already at 76,000 miles. I was on the warranty for about a week but they were unable to see me because of all the recalls they had on the GM models.they were able to take me after my warranty expired and would not cover the warranty for this car. I'm sorry to tell you but GM has lost a lot of business and a lot of good customers because they are a bunch of sneaky individuals trying to steal the customers hard earned money.! They knew about this transmission problem and they did not give a recall on this car 4 they're crappy transmission. All you have to look as a GM and what they have done with Derek ignition problem on the GM models and realize that they don't really care and want to hide the truth in order to make profits. f**k GM and their s***** cars. You try to buy American to support our country but s*** like this happens and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth about GM an American cars. I have a Honda Odyssey with 250,000 miles and transmission still running strong no major repairs.I would love to see this company goes bankrupt!

You think this is helpful.
Kartboarder22G
60

I'm 100% with you and it is so sad, cause I've been a fan of theirs since I could remember! My Father probably was the root of that, and now he is also disgusted at the company that they would pull this stuff with me! Completely disgusted and I moved forward with the rebuild of my transmission and not the remanufactured, just cause I was able to save $1,300 that way. I had 2 amazing honda vehicles before this one, and while I can say GM has some fancy things on their cars to draw in customers and make a sale, I'll be returning back to Japanese vehicles next due to their dependibility!

Christopher Chris
150

Kartboarder, Running to Japan is not a bad choice, but they make mistakes too. Japanese cars have the same issues with automatic CVT transmissions.....have you ever seen the history of the Honda Civic? The Saturn Vue has its issues, but the safety of the chassis makes up for the shortcomings. Oh yeah....123,000 miles and counting on a 2008 Saturn Vue with original automatic with a heavy duty oil cooler.

Kartboarder22G
60

I agree they aren't perfect but pretty much ever cvt has been having problems cause they haven't been around long. Lucky for you 123k, if it went out tomorrow you'd still be smiling cause you've made it almost double where I did. Still though you have to admit don't you think its pathetic you have to put an aftermarket cooler o your vehictle to make it last to what it should be alr eady? Also do you have a v6 with a 6 speed? So an xr or a redline? Otherwise you don't have to worry

Christopher Chris
150

Mine is a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder with the 4 speed automatic. I've been a big believer in oil coolers for transmissions....I tow.... I had a loaded and I mean loaded trailer coming from St. Louis to Maryland two years ago with my Saturn Vue (going the flatest route possible but I still saw some hills)....did the first flush before the trip at 70 thousand miles and had Uhaul install the cooler. In the past I had a Chevy Astro and a Ford Explorer both give up their transmissions... I figured out to put coolers on, and had a lot better luck getting automatics to last...problem transmissions or not....I plan on doing it to every car I ever own in the future with automatics...its good insurance. Yeah, I agree that I have been lucky this time around with 123,000 miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if I went to move the car tomorrow and it doesn't go into first! I am paying the Vue off this month, and giving it to my daughter...I should be a good safe first car for her to drive this summer and then trade up after she earns a little money!

Kartboarder22G
60

Nice, it is the 6 speed that has The faulty 3-5-r waveplate. So you shouldnt have a problem with yours at all. You should make it to 200k without a problem cooler or not as long as your changing fluid every 70 k or sooner. I have heard of others with big problems with the 4 cylinderengine though but I guess you got a lucky one! Anyhow GM should make things right with people who have a bad part in their transmission!

Kartboarder22G
60

Check out this: http://www.electronicproducts.com/Electromechanical_Components/M otors_and_Controllers/GM_employees_were_told_not_to_use_these_6 9_words_when_discussing_recalls.aspx GM just sadder and sadder.

EAS84
10

^link states not found?

Kartboarder22G
60

It won't let me post the link, just past the above link in and type GM in the search that comes up on the page, it is the first article listed.

Kartboarder22G
60

docadams, you are in the same situation I was in. I finally did the rebuild at my own cost after wasting time making phone calls to GM Cust. Service. If the car is still working but slipping and rough into reverse, take it in immediately to get the rebuild done at any GM service center. The cost for me out the door was about $2600. The longer you wait to more your tearing up the inside of your tranny and you will need to get a tow if you wait as long as I did. The part that is going on yours is the 3-5-R wave plate and it is probably as cheap as you claim, except buried within the transmission. Also after you get it replaced get down under your car and just make sure all bolts and stuff look like they have been tightened. I had one bolt that was a 1/4" backed out and 3-4 exhaust muffler hangers had not even been installed. The Chevy dealership I worked with just slapped it back together as quickly as they could! I just saw a white Saturn Vue being towed the other day same issue for that poor guy. Also, if yours still runs then run to a GM dealership and see if they will trade it in, don't tell them anything about the tranny, you might make out better that way. Also, don't buy a GM vehicle again, unless you need a truck or a sports car!

Kartboarder22G
60

Now my transfer case to for the AWD system is leaking fluid, which they say is common, I'll have to get that fixed for about $700! I should have had the seal replaced on that when the transmission was out, how stupid that dealers don't recommend that be fixed at the same time!

tiggerrrt
0

My 08 transmission went 5 months ago. First the mechanic we deal with got run around from the local GM store, now when trying to replace the transmission completely the mechanic told us he is having problems finding compatiable transmission because for about 3-4 months Saturn used a different transmission and its been prone to problems. Has anyone else ran into this problem or are we just getting the run around from our mechanic as well as getting screwed by the local gm service shop. So disgusted with this whole thing. WAS a loyal GM customer (Dad is GM retiree) but never, never again.

Kartboarder22G
60

No they are running out of these transmissions, because it is happening to everyone! I would suggest they try and rebuild, it should also be cheaper. Also, have them replace the transfer case seal while they have it apart. My costs above are good starting points they should be the same estimates or less.

ripoffillegal4
0

WHY ISN'T THERE A CURRENT CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. I HAVE HAD TWO TRANSMISSIONS REPLACED IN TWO YEARS FOR MY 2004 SATURN VUE. WE HAVE BEEN ROBED OF OUR 2000 + DOLLARS THAT IS WHY THEY QUIT MAKING THEM THEY SAW THIS COMING. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO CONTACT THE WHITE HOUSE ABOUT GM ABOUT THE WAY THEY QUIT MAKING THE SATURNS? I CANNOT AFFORD ANY ATTORNEY AND I HAVE A SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER WHO HAS BEEN RIDING IN THIS DANGEROUS VEHICLE. THE WAY IT ACTED WHEN MY TRANSMISSION WENT WAS COMPLETELY SCARY. NOW THE GM CHEVROLET DEALER IN PITTSBURGH, PA HAS PUT TWO JUNK TRANSMISSIONS IN. DO SOMETHING BEFORE MORE PEOPLE ARE AFFECTED. THEY RECEIVED A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY FROM THE ADMINISTRATION AND WERE NOT PUNISHED. WE RECEIVED NOTHING.

Kartboarder22G
60

That sickens me, sorry to hear about your vehicle, I believe there is a class action lawsuit on the 2004, due to a CVT being used in that vehicle which is trash. You should be able to get some money back. As for me, it wasn't the transfer case seal that started leaking, it actually was the torque converter to transmission seal that started leaking. The GM dealership took care of it for me at no cost though which was nice after having the transmission rebuilt. Suggestion to anyone getting their transmission rebuilt to have that seal replaced at the same time!

Calamita126
0

Hi I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XE 3.5 engine 6 cylinder. I just replaced the engine and the main wire harness. I have 99500 on the odometer got my truck back Tuesday and went to get it inspected but it is showing shift solenoid and transmission malfunction but it's driving fine and most garages in my area don't deal with transmission work so I got an appointment with a company called Redline on the 23rd. I still owe a lot on my truck I don't know what to do any suggestions please!?!?!

Kartboarder22G
60

I hope you have a good reason why your engine got replaced already and it doesn't have to do with GM making crappy engines. Anyhow, if it is shifting well, I would go to an autoparts store and have them scan it to tell you what the code is to verify it is what the inspector told you. Then have them clear the code. If the code comes back take it in to get it diagnosed/repaired. Take it to your Redline place, a transmission shop or GM dealer. Best of luck to you.

lilhilfox624
0

I also have a 2008 VUE had an engine/transmission related problem within first two months but covered under warranty. Then at 4 years and 50,000 miles transmission started acting up...if I came to a stop it was in gear but wouldn't go forward or backward. Went to GM dealer and still had one year left on power train so was covered but all GM did was rebuild. NOW two years later for whatever reason will fall in to fail safe mode (per mechanic) and not shift out of 1st; like tmlsml, I need to turn off the engine, let it sit and then start it up again and it shifts 'fine' again. Apparently 2008 was NOT the year to get. =/

Mochi
0

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD and while my 15yr old daughter was driving up dangerous Colorado mountain pass, the transmission slipped out of gear and we lost power control. Fortunately she was able to safely pull off the highway. Our independent mechanic found following codes in the diagnostic computer; P0776-pressure control solenoid stuck off, 09-07-30-0125 reverse clutch plate. I have really enjoyed this car, now with 80k miles, and will get it repaired. I dumped foreign cars due to maintenance bills. They all have their issues. This will be much less expensive then our Audi or VW's ever were. I am going to stick with this Vue XR. Buying new or used will be more costly then keeping it going at this point.

Kartboarder22G
60

Yes Mochi, getting it fixed will be the cheaper option, but read the review above yours, because this user is experiencing issues 2 years later. If I were you, repair, drive for 1-2 years then dump and upgrade to a Japanese car. Sure Audi and VWs are German and yes they have problems too. Yet have you looked at Honda, Subaru, toyota, etc.? I think if you do your homework and buy one of those next you will be pleasantly surprised. In my family we have driven VWs, GMs, Hondas and Toyotas. Yes the Hondas and Toyota were amazing and the resale value was mind blowing!

Christopher Chris
150

Yes. Please dump your car and let someone else enjoy it who doesn't buy into the Japanese or German is better baloney. Folks, technology is being pushed to its limits, sometimes past it, and things are going to break on all cars. Iv'e seen transmission problems on Audis, VWs, Hondas, etc... Yes, the resale is better for those cars, but if you enjoy the Vue, you also have a very safe car. Look at the size of the pillars to your left and right, you have some good insurance there in case of a rollover. Parts are so much cheaper, and if you work on the car yourself....its still do-able with most tools you have in your garage or what you can borrow with a deposit at Auto Zone.

Kartboarder22G
60

Have you stripped the plastic off the pillars to see the thickness of the metal below? The vehicle is amost 1000lbs more than others in its class that are being produced today. Not to mention cars go through FEA testing now days that wasn't even considered back in 2007 when they were designing this car. Don't be fooled by looks, test results speak for themselves. Other than that the vehicle is a pretty good car, just sad that a transmission goes out at below 100k. Not everyone repairs their own transmissions now days, for me to do so would have required renting tools to mount the transmission for extraction of all the planetary gears and discs. Something I would never want to do.

Christopher Chris
150

Ha ha. I'm talking about the repairs like the wheel bearing assemblies, brakes, shocks, etc...they are way easier on the vue than on a VW. I have taken the crossmember off of a Vue before in a dirt driveway. Its a two day task to get the transmisison in and out. I wouldn't bother rebuilding a transmission, just get another, put it in, and get the car back together. My wife and I did a clutch a month ago on an older vue. Its dirty work, but it feels great not letting Firestone get me for a cool grand. Ever see the valve cover on a VW? Diving into that is Pandora's box. Japanese parts get expensive too. I'm talking keeping a vehicle for the long haul. Most people are better off ditching any car before 100K in order to get some trade-in value, but a lot of 2008 and later Vues are being unloaded on the market. They should go for cheap, just look for ones with a rebuilt transmission and you should have a halfway decent car as the reason the transmissions went was for a part that got improved on.

Kartboarder22G
60

I've done my brakes on my 2004 Accord and my Wife's 2010 Malibu and they were identical and might I add very simple to do if anyone is wondering. Shock setup is mainly the same now days on FWD vehicles, except on German vehicles to name a few. My brother did his shocks on his VW Passat and he had to get a friend with a torch just to warm things up enough to get everything apart. It was an incredible job. Yet, they have complicated suspension for a reason, because those cars handle extremely well. That car with stock suspension would blow my Accord with performance tires away in the corners and it was a 2001. It also handled like a dream on the snow. So with the benefits and safety of a good handling car you get difficult maintenance. Also, they are running out of Remanufactured transmissions for the Vue or already have, because this is striking everyone. So you will have to get yours rebuilt. I believe most people are being told rebuild is your only option at this point or be put on a 3-6 month waiting list for a remanufactured. There are no new trannys available because this tranny is obsolete.

Caccds Amaral
0

I'm interested in the heavy duty transmission cooler!!! Got a Vue for my boyfriend as a present and I love it!!! Awesome Christopher with your positive words and help!!!

Caccds Amaral
0

If you have anymore info on this vehicle please let me know!!! I would love to keep this vehicle going!!!

Paul Hicks
0

...I like many others in this thread am experiencing the same crappy transmission issue... ...I am no wealthy guy, 3 to 4k for the repair seems miles away and I have dealt with GM on the phone all week. ...this car was in the shop for a night trying to find the issue... ...was told they could not diagnose any problems, patted me on the head, and sent me on my way... ...still shuddering between 4th and 5th and now not moving at all unless cold. (not to mention they failed to record the service - meaning my word means nothing at 115K) ...I will never ever buy another GM product even though I love the Corvette and Caddys... ...nope, not going to do it. ...mine is a 2008 AWD - and no one can tell me the Tranny Code and I don't even want to call GM again... ...anyone have an answer..?

Kartboarder22G
60

Paul, is it an V6 XR? Are you the original owner? Have you had any tranny work done to it in the past? The waveplate disc that fails is used to shift into 3rd, 5th and reverse. I had issues with 2nd to 3rd until it finally gave out on me. The rebuild cost is about 3k, maybe a hair under. Anymore and they are taking you to the cleaners.

Stevedask
0

Glad I found this because I was looking at a 2008 Redline. Funny part is I was interested in it because they say it has a Honda Engine and Tranny - funny all the people noting forign cars are better than GM but it's the Honda parts that are failing on theses things. I read the 3-5 waveplate was only a problem in the early models and they fixed it in later models (honda) so I wonder if when they rebuild if they put in the upgraded waveplate to make the new tranny last longer?

Kartboarder22G
60

Stevedask, Prior to 2008 the engine and tranny were Honda, but then I think 2003-2007 GM changed the tranny to their own OEM CVT that they never want to talk about again. Then 2008-2009 is all GM powertrain purchased from their OEM suppliers that are not Honda. The only thing correct about your statement is your question, Yes they will put the updated waveplate in when the GM dealership rebuilds your 2008-2009 tranny.