I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. I have recently started having transmission problems. It will shift into like 1st gear and will not shift anymore.. I can stop, turn the engine back on and it will shift right. any ideas what is causing this? I took it to Aamco to have the transmission flushed and they told me I needed my transmission rebuilt. But I have read lots of reviews about them saying that rather it needed it or not.. Please I need help

tmlsml
0

Asked by tmlsml Jan 21, 2013 at 08:44 PM about the 2009 Saturn VUE XE V6 AWD

45,765

Find a Saturn forum. Ask other owners about common transmission issues.

Luke Wozniak
175

These transmissions in the v-6 Saturn vue models only( as well as the Saturn outlook, gmc Acadia, Buick enclave, and Chevy traverse) are all prone to transmission failure up until the 2010 model year. There is a specific part(3-5-R wave plate) that was made too brittle and will eventually fail, causing shifting issues, chiefly not shifting into reverse. The transmission will likely need to be removed and rebuilt. I would not waste money on a transmission flush.

GMCustomerService
1,355

tmlsml, Sorry to hear you're having issues with your 09 Saturn Vue. If you would like to private message me the last 8-digits of your VIN, I would be glad to check to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages on your vehicle that may be related to what you're experiencing. If so, contact me at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Vanessa in the subject line. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Leamc1
60

2008 vue - 60,000 miles. Transmission failed today with no warning. It started hesitating a little when I put it in reverse over the weekend, but nothing big. I planned to take if for an check today, but the transmission went before I got there. Best part, powertrain expired 6 days ago and I was told by the dealership that GM probably won't honor any of it. So disappointed.

mkath13
30

My 2008 Saturn Vue just had the exact same problems as above. Started hesitating shifting to 3rd, scared the heck out of me! Was able to get home using the Manual. Then it would not go into R to get it to transmission shop. Looking like a $3000 fix.

mkath13
30

Very glad I searched this Vue problem- was thinking of replacing a 2006 Envoy with an 09 or 10 Acadia- this problem is on all General Motors Corporation crossovers 2010 and before!

MaggieI
20

I too am stRting to have issues with my 08 vue. Does anyone know if there are any recalls for the transmition issue?

Saturnbaby
10

Got a diamond in the rough.....At about 75,000 miles I used my 2008 Saturn vue with ecotec 2.2 4 cylinder to tow a loaded uhaul one axle trailer..I got a flush before the trip, and had Uhaul's heavy duty transmission cooler installed. Went on 70 East from St. Louis to Maryland...still saw a steep few hills. Now it is at 100,000 miles and so far no issues....I am a big believer in Transmission oil coolers.

lacey112892
20

LEMON LEMON LEMON.......My 2008 was just paid off 30 days ago and the transmission is starting to give me problems at 65k miles. This is so unbelievable. Saturn ran, GM bought them out and has now left Saturn owners stranded. GM will never be a vehicle I will ever own. One word DISGUSTING.

mkath13
30

If your Vue starts shifting hard beware... the transmission is going and it will cost $3000. And read up on how to use the Manual it'll save a big tow bill.

sdstubbs
0

I have had a lot of issues with my Saturn Vue 2008 and GM does not stand behind there products. I had a chevrolet tracker that I loved and did not have alot of issues with that vehicle. I think when you buy a vehicle the dealer and GM should stand behind there products. I think this is why people end up buying foreign cars. This is the first time to buy a Saturn. I would not buy another one if they still made them. I work hard and two jobs and a son in college.

Christopher Chris
10

I have to break into this Saturn hater party......I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 5 speed manual. Coming up on 200,000 miles. This car only had some hydraulics in the clutch go out and replaced the clutch...plus some plastic gear shift parts....and the normal brake job stuff....that's it. Awesome car. My 2008 Saturn Vue is now over 100,000 miles with the 4 speed automatic....I'm telling you all...get a heavy duty transmission cooler...yeah the parts in that automatic transmission get brittle with age....keep them cooler and make them last! I am not saying that my transmission may not fail tomorrow, but if it does, I'll replace the transmission and keep the car....its almost paid for and my wife loves the heated leather seats!

hawker
10

my 2008, transmission just failed, the wave plate was replaced, $3000, and GMC will not help me out, even though this is well known. After being a loyal GM customer for 40 years, I am saying goodbye!

kkent
10

How do they get away with continuing to sell this car. We bought a 2008 Saturn Vue 5 months ago with under 50,000 miles from a GM dealer and now the transmission is going....5 months!!!!! I am sick to my stomach that they feel this is ok to continue selling this model and even more so that they take no responsibility. My one year old niece was in the car when the engine starring revving like crazy on the highway , I want to know how people sleep at night knowing they sell an unsafe vehicle. They will not help us in any way. Absolutely positively CROOKS!

Yeyo Yeyito
50

I have a 2008 satum vue xr i having problems with the trammision i want to know if is a recall. Please i need a answer

Christopher Chris
10

First of all, realize that getting 100,000 miles out of an automatic transmission front wheel drive car is success. Anything over that is gravy. The question is not will the transmission go out... but when? For a lower mileage car, power flushes at factory intervals and an aftermarket transmission cooler can get you to the 100,000 mile mark or at least close to it. The parts on this transmission get brittle with age because of the high temperatures, so realize that if you wait until later, the damage might already be done. Keeping the transmission cooler will help extend life of it. I am over 100,000 miles right now on the original transmission, same car as what you drive. I think I am just lucky that I did the right thing early enough. For shifting problems with a transmission that you suspect may have good internals, the problem may be a simple electronics issue. Perhaps just a bad sensor or relay. Replace the faulty part, and the problem is solved. Its how these shops make money these days, and sometimes they can fleece you for a whole new transmission, or the mechanic does not know how to fix it, and figures an "all in" approach to replacing everything will fix the problem, so watch out! It is possible to learn how diagnose this yourself, its just a matter of how much time can you invest learning how to troubleshoot?

nappierandrea
10

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that just hit 70,000 miles. I bought it from the dealership with a perfect score TWO YEARS AGO and it already needs a new transmission. I cannot even explained how shocked I am. Bids to replace are between $3,300 and $4,200. This puts me back up to the amount that I took the original loan out on this POS. I will never, never, never buy a GM car again. I am absolutely disgusted. I guess they never fixed the problem after the Class-Action Lawsuit won over the faulty 2002-2005 model transmissions. F*#k GM.

Christopher Chris
10

Anyone buying these used will replace the transmission at some point, and can be difficult to budget for. For a used Saturn, there is no recall, and no warranties. There are warranty companies that will honor a warranty on this vehicle, and will replace your transmission if you sign up before it goes out. However, most people find this out after the transmission goes out. I feel bad for folks stuck in a bad financial situation because of this. I mean, $3000 to $4000 for a car repair can max out a credit card or wipe out an emergency fund, making budgeting very difficult. Sometimes it is better to trade the car, broken, and as is, instead of fixing it. The car still has some value, and if you get something that doesn't break down, you can eventually get out of the upside down situation.

Rosemary Pastor
10

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue and the transmission went at 30,000 miles in Nov, 2013 - absolutely frustrating and disappointing. I don't drive much so of course the warranty had run out. It cost me $4000+ to replace it with what I thought was a "new" one, but later found out it's a rebuilt transmission. I know there was a class action lawsuit against the 4-cylinder Vue that was settled back in '08 that applied to older years. Does anyone know if there's a class action suit against the 6 cylinder Vue??? Disappointed in CT

alikhed
10

I have the same problem. My 2008 Saturn Vue XR had a transmission problem. Took it to GM in Calgary and the service was beyond disgusting ! Lied to me for 1 week saying my car is being checked, I go look and it's still sitting there... they finally take it in and say it's the transmission and will cost me 4500 ! Without a choice I said yes, 2 weeks later I go to pick it up, the engine light went back on while I was about to leave but the service rep told me to just go ahead because it's just turning on from the cold ? Odd answer but I'm no mechanic. I get home and it's still on so I go back to GM, they try to lie telling me the 02 sensor is broken and needs to be fixed !! First of all, when would this 02 sensor of broke if it was fine when I brought it in ?! After many hours of waiting they kept it AGAIN in the shop to 'look at'. No clue how long that will take now ! I am so disappointed in GM, this has been by far the worst service. I will NEVER buy another car from them nor will my friends and family. As for the transmission, they found a piece of metal inside which was obviously due to the manufacturer ! No clue how to continue with my complaint, this is ridiculous.

lkihl
10

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. Started shifting hard and hesitated between gears. Writhing 2 days it was gone. Hole in transmission. $3500. 82000 miles And the power distribution component burned up a month later. $700 I recently had the car decide to shift into 1st gear while driving and remain there. Apparently it's related to a safety sensor. If you turn the car off and restart it, it resets it. Not a great glitch to have on the interstate! All I can tell folks: Avoid this make and model :-(