I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. I have recently started having transmission problems. It will shift into like 1st gear and will not shift anymore.. I can stop, turn the engine back on and it will shift right. any ideas what is causing this? I took it to Aamco to have the transmission flushed and they told me I needed my transmission rebuilt. But I have read lots of reviews about them saying that rather it needed it or not.. Please I need help

tmlsml
0

Asked by tmlsml Jan 21, 2013 at 08:44 PM about the 2009 Saturn VUE XE V6 AWD

64,565

Find a Saturn forum. Ask other owners about common transmission issues.

Luke Wozniak
375

These transmissions in the v-6 Saturn vue models only( as well as the Saturn outlook, gmc Acadia, Buick enclave, and Chevy traverse) are all prone to transmission failure up until the 2010 model year. There is a specific part(3-5-R wave plate) that was made too brittle and will eventually fail, causing shifting issues, chiefly not shifting into reverse. The transmission will likely need to be removed and rebuilt. I would not waste money on a transmission flush.

GMCustomerService
2,295

tmlsml, Sorry to hear you're having issues with your 09 Saturn Vue. If you would like to private message me the last 8-digits of your VIN, I would be glad to check to see if there are any open recalls or special coverages on your vehicle that may be related to what you're experiencing. If so, contact me at socialmedia@gm.com with ATTN: Vanessa in the subject line. Vanessa GM Customer Service

Leamc1
130

2008 vue - 60,000 miles. Transmission failed today with no warning. It started hesitating a little when I put it in reverse over the weekend, but nothing big. I planned to take if for an check today, but the transmission went before I got there. Best part, powertrain expired 6 days ago and I was told by the dealership that GM probably won't honor any of it. So disappointed.

mkath13
200

My 2008 Saturn Vue just had the exact same problems as above. Started hesitating shifting to 3rd, scared the heck out of me! Was able to get home using the Manual. Then it would not go into R to get it to transmission shop. Looking like a $3000 fix.

mkath13
200

Very glad I searched this Vue problem- was thinking of replacing a 2006 Envoy with an 09 or 10 Acadia- this problem is on all General Motors Corporation crossovers 2010 and before!

MaggieI
130

I too am stRting to have issues with my 08 vue. Does anyone know if there are any recalls for the transmition issue?

Saturnbaby
70

Got a diamond in the rough.....At about 75,000 miles I used my 2008 Saturn vue with ecotec 2.2 4 cylinder to tow a loaded uhaul one axle trailer..I got a flush before the trip, and had Uhaul's heavy duty transmission cooler installed. Went on 70 East from St. Louis to Maryland...still saw a steep few hills. Now it is at 100,000 miles and so far no issues....I am a big believer in Transmission oil coolers.

lacey112892
60

LEMON LEMON LEMON.......My 2008 was just paid off 30 days ago and the transmission is starting to give me problems at 65k miles. This is so unbelievable. Saturn ran, GM bought them out and has now left Saturn owners stranded. GM will never be a vehicle I will ever own. One word DISGUSTING.

mkath13
200

If your Vue starts shifting hard beware... the transmission is going and it will cost $3000. And read up on how to use the Manual it'll save a big tow bill.

sdstubbs
40

I have had a lot of issues with my Saturn Vue 2008 and GM does not stand behind there products. I had a chevrolet tracker that I loved and did not have alot of issues with that vehicle. I think when you buy a vehicle the dealer and GM should stand behind there products. I think this is why people end up buying foreign cars. This is the first time to buy a Saturn. I would not buy another one if they still made them. I work hard and two jobs and a son in college.

Christopher Chris
290

I have to break into this Saturn hater party......I have a 2004 Saturn Vue with the 5 speed manual. Coming up on 200,000 miles. This car only had some hydraulics in the clutch go out and replaced the clutch...plus some plastic gear shift parts....and the normal brake job stuff....that's it. Awesome car. My 2008 Saturn Vue is now over 100,000 miles with the 4 speed automatic....I'm telling you all...get a heavy duty transmission cooler...yeah the parts in that automatic transmission get brittle with age....keep them cooler and make them last! I am not saying that my transmission may not fail tomorrow, but if it does, I'll replace the transmission and keep the car....its almost paid for and my wife loves the heated leather seats!

hawker
90

my 2008, transmission just failed, the wave plate was replaced, $3000, and GMC will not help me out, even though this is well known. After being a loyal GM customer for 40 years, I am saying goodbye!

kkent
70

How do they get away with continuing to sell this car. We bought a 2008 Saturn Vue 5 months ago with under 50,000 miles from a GM dealer and now the transmission is going....5 months!!!!! I am sick to my stomach that they feel this is ok to continue selling this model and even more so that they take no responsibility. My one year old niece was in the car when the engine starring revving like crazy on the highway , I want to know how people sleep at night knowing they sell an unsafe vehicle. They will not help us in any way. Absolutely positively CROOKS!

Juan Antonio
200

I have a 2008 satum vue xr i having problems with the trammision i want to know if is a recall. Please i need a answer

You think this is helpful.
Christopher Chris
290

First of all, realize that getting 100,000 miles out of an automatic transmission front wheel drive car is success. Anything over that is gravy. The question is not will the transmission go out... but when? For a lower mileage car, power flushes at factory intervals and an aftermarket transmission cooler can get you to the 100,000 mile mark or at least close to it. The parts on this transmission get brittle with age because of the high temperatures, so realize that if you wait until later, the damage might already be done. Keeping the transmission cooler will help extend life of it. I am over 100,000 miles right now on the original transmission, same car as what you drive. I think I am just lucky that I did the right thing early enough. For shifting problems with a transmission that you suspect may have good internals, the problem may be a simple electronics issue. Perhaps just a bad sensor or relay. Replace the faulty part, and the problem is solved. Its how these shops make money these days, and sometimes they can fleece you for a whole new transmission, or the mechanic does not know how to fix it, and figures an "all in" approach to replacing everything will fix the problem, so watch out! It is possible to learn how diagnose this yourself, its just a matter of how much time can you invest learning how to troubleshoot?

nappierandrea
100

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue that just hit 70,000 miles. I bought it from the dealership with a perfect score TWO YEARS AGO and it already needs a new transmission. I cannot even explained how shocked I am. Bids to replace are between $3,300 and $4,200. This puts me back up to the amount that I took the original loan out on this POS. I will never, never, never buy a GM car again. I am absolutely disgusted. I guess they never fixed the problem after the Class-Action Lawsuit won over the faulty 2002-2005 model transmissions. F*#k GM.

Christopher Chris
290

Anyone buying these used will replace the transmission at some point, and can be difficult to budget for. For a used Saturn, there is no recall, and no warranties. There are warranty companies that will honor a warranty on this vehicle, and will replace your transmission if you sign up before it goes out. However, most people find this out after the transmission goes out. I feel bad for folks stuck in a bad financial situation because of this. I mean, $3000 to $4000 for a car repair can max out a credit card or wipe out an emergency fund, making budgeting very difficult. Sometimes it is better to trade the car, broken, and as is, instead of fixing it. The car still has some value, and if you get something that doesn't break down, you can eventually get out of the upside down situation.

Rosemary Pastor
70

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue and the transmission went at 30,000 miles in Nov, 2013 - absolutely frustrating and disappointing. I don't drive much so of course the warranty had run out. It cost me $4000+ to replace it with what I thought was a "new" one, but later found out it's a rebuilt transmission. I know there was a class action lawsuit against the 4-cylinder Vue that was settled back in '08 that applied to older years. Does anyone know if there's a class action suit against the 6 cylinder Vue??? Disappointed in CT

You think this is helpful.
alikhed
30

I have the same problem. My 2008 Saturn Vue XR had a transmission problem. Took it to GM in Calgary and the service was beyond disgusting ! Lied to me for 1 week saying my car is being checked, I go look and it's still sitting there... they finally take it in and say it's the transmission and will cost me 4500 ! Without a choice I said yes, 2 weeks later I go to pick it up, the engine light went back on while I was about to leave but the service rep told me to just go ahead because it's just turning on from the cold ? Odd answer but I'm no mechanic. I get home and it's still on so I go back to GM, they try to lie telling me the 02 sensor is broken and needs to be fixed !! First of all, when would this 02 sensor of broke if it was fine when I brought it in ?! After many hours of waiting they kept it AGAIN in the shop to 'look at'. No clue how long that will take now ! I am so disappointed in GM, this has been by far the worst service. I will NEVER buy another car from them nor will my friends and family. As for the transmission, they found a piece of metal inside which was obviously due to the manufacturer ! No clue how to continue with my complaint, this is ridiculous.

lkihl
60

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue. Started shifting hard and hesitated between gears. Writhing 2 days it was gone. Hole in transmission. $3500. 82000 miles And the power distribution component burned up a month later. $700 I recently had the car decide to shift into 1st gear while driving and remain there. Apparently it's related to a safety sensor. If you turn the car off and restart it, it resets it. Not a great glitch to have on the interstate! All I can tell folks: Avoid this make and model :-(

amd2
30

My 2008 Saturn Outlook just did this on Easter on our way back from visiting family. In a span of 2 hours it started to shift hard with a lag and then on the highway it decided that it was not going to be in any gear at all and the RPM would just rev up and not go. so we coasted off the hwy and into a parking lot. Put it in park then back in drive and it would only shift into first gear. We were only 20 minutes from our house and with a 1 year old and a 4 year old, waiting for a tow truck was out. We putted along in first gear at about 25 mph up for a good ways and then it would drop out of first gear and not go. turn the car off and turn it back on and it would work for a little further, did that a few times and then it officially wouldn't work any more. Luckily we were only 6 miles from home at that point so some nice lady and her kids took my husband home to get the other car while we waited for the tow truck. The dealer said that it is a plate in the transmission that helps it shift that went out. Thankfully the super comprehensive warranty we bought for it doesn't expire until July... Now I am seriously considering extending it.

Christopher Chris
290

I would definitely extend the warranty, and keep the vehicle if you can. They brought back the Vue as the Chevy Captiva Sport....as a fleet vehicle only. Its a timeless design worth keeping despite the headaches. Get a heavy duty transmission cooler put in also. It will extend the life of the transmission. I am going on 120,000 miles on the same original 4 speed transmission. I have flushed it once, and the cooler temp seems to help extend the life of that plate you are talking about. I think everyone should just plan on an automatic transmission going out at some point. according to a transmission repair shop I just visited, the new plate is an improved design and should help you get more life out of it before it goes again. The other thing you have to watch out for is the front hub and bearing assembly. Its an easy replacement if it has not frozen in place (steel in aluminum glaze issue causes bonding)....but O'Reilly's has the best 3 year warranty on that part...well worth it to get rid of the front end vibration. Iv'e heard the rear two will go out as well....just something to keep in mind and plan around. The repair at the dealer will run you about $800 per axle including parts.

You think this is helpful.
Anielsen1
80

This problem happened to me, I have a 2009 vue xr. And just like with EVERY other problem, I was told numerous times by "certified" dealerships that they didn't know what the issue was because no code had been stored and even if a code was stored, the car would automatically reset itself. Potentially clearing info of known problems. Finally I was told it was the transmission. I'm sick and tired of trying to maintain my vehicle and having the manufacturer tell me "they don't know what's wrong" and the pr

Anielsen1
80

And "the problem can't be reproduced" It frustrates me to no end when I look back at how many issues I've had with this car and how long it actually took GM to figure out what was wrong with it. I have kept all of the documentation relating to the issues I've had and it's ridiculous how thick the stack is! GM should be ashamed of themselves. From what I can see, Everyone would have been better off if GM had gone bankrupt. I will never buy another GM vehicle for as long as I live (I'm only in my 20s). And every chance I get, I tell people to avoid any and all GM vehicles like the plague, that it is!

mkath13
200

Now that the best transmission shop in Detroit rebuilt the transmission, this car rocks- it's better than new. And they said it is a known issue. It's a given it's going to go.

Jrow
20

I am reading what everyone is saying and I am shocked. I just took my car in with transmission problem. My car has 68,000 miles on it and my extended warranty expired at 50,000 miles which makes me believe they knew a problem would appear after the 50,000 miles. GM needs to be responsible for their product, building a transmission that won't hold up to the life of a car. Very, very disappointed. Basically, I wasted my money on a car that is not worth the money.

EAS84
20

I have a 2008 VUE XR and my trans went about a year and a half ago at around 60,000 miles. Because Saturn is no longer, the Chevy dealership handling the warranty claim (which had JUST expired less than a month prior) had to send out a "beacon" across the nation to get a "remanufactured transmission" and I was without vehicle for TWO MONTHS because the warranty company only allowed a 4-day rental!! Trans died literally without warning- none whatsoever. It worked great, then I went to start it at the store after shopping and it wouldn't go in reverse. I LVOE Saturn, always have- this is my 3rd one! But this vehicle line is a lemon and I have had NUMEROUS other problems with it, one after the other after other. Once paid off next year, it's got to go.

EAS84
20

Oops- **LOVE (lol) and the trans cost $4000 also!

Kartboarder22G
185

Yea my transmission just went out in my 2008 saturn vue XR at 76k and GM will not help out in any way. Very disappointed in this car and what has happened to me will steer me away from their cars in the future. If they could have helped out then customer service would have earned my future business, this is an unfortunate loss for them and I.

fairwind
30

I had the same problem. I have a Saturn Vue 2009 and the transmission is giving me problems already at 76,000 miles. I was on the warranty for about a week but they were unable to see me because of all the recalls they had on the GM models.they were able to take me after my warranty expired and would not cover the warranty for this car. I'm sorry to tell you but GM has lost a lot of business and a lot of good customers because they are a bunch of sneaky individuals trying to steal the customers hard earned money.! They knew about this transmission problem and they did not give a recall on this car 4 they're crappy transmission. All you have to look as a GM and what they have done with Derek ignition problem on the GM models and realize that they don't really care and want to hide the truth in order to make profits. f**k GM and their s***** cars. You try to buy American to support our country but s*** like this happens and it leaves a bad taste in your mouth about GM an American cars. I have a Honda Odyssey with 250,000 miles and transmission still running strong no major repairs.I would love to see this company goes bankrupt!

You think this is helpful.
Kartboarder22G
185

I'm 100% with you and it is so sad, cause I've been a fan of theirs since I could remember! My Father probably was the root of that, and now he is also disgusted at the company that they would pull this stuff with me! Completely disgusted and I moved forward with the rebuild of my transmission and not the remanufactured, just cause I was able to save $1,300 that way. I had 2 amazing honda vehicles before this one, and while I can say GM has some fancy things on their cars to draw in customers and make a sale, I'll be returning back to Japanese vehicles next due to their dependibility!

Christopher Chris
290

Kartboarder, Running to Japan is not a bad choice, but they make mistakes too. Japanese cars have the same issues with automatic CVT transmissions.....have you ever seen the history of the Honda Civic? The Saturn Vue has its issues, but the safety of the chassis makes up for the shortcomings. Oh yeah....123,000 miles and counting on a 2008 Saturn Vue with original automatic with a heavy duty oil cooler.

Kartboarder22G
185

I agree they aren't perfect but pretty much ever cvt has been having problems cause they haven't been around long. Lucky for you 123k, if it went out tomorrow you'd still be smiling cause you've made it almost double where I did. Still though you have to admit don't you think its pathetic you have to put an aftermarket cooler o your vehictle to make it last to what it should be alr eady? Also do you have a v6 with a 6 speed? So an xr or a redline? Otherwise you don't have to worry

Christopher Chris
290

Mine is a 2.4 liter 4 cylinder with the 4 speed automatic. I've been a big believer in oil coolers for transmissions....I tow.... I had a loaded and I mean loaded trailer coming from St. Louis to Maryland two years ago with my Saturn Vue (going the flatest route possible but I still saw some hills)....did the first flush before the trip at 70 thousand miles and had Uhaul install the cooler. In the past I had a Chevy Astro and a Ford Explorer both give up their transmissions... I figured out to put coolers on, and had a lot better luck getting automatics to last...problem transmissions or not....I plan on doing it to every car I ever own in the future with automatics...its good insurance. Yeah, I agree that I have been lucky this time around with 123,000 miles, but I wouldn't be surprised if I went to move the car tomorrow and it doesn't go into first! I am paying the Vue off this month, and giving it to my daughter...I should be a good safe first car for her to drive this summer and then trade up after she earns a little money!

Kartboarder22G
185

Nice, it is the 6 speed that has The faulty 3-5-r waveplate. So you shouldnt have a problem with yours at all. You should make it to 200k without a problem cooler or not as long as your changing fluid every 70 k or sooner. I have heard of others with big problems with the 4 cylinderengine though but I guess you got a lucky one! Anyhow GM should make things right with people who have a bad part in their transmission!

Kartboarder22G
185

Check out this: http://www.electronicproducts.com/Electromechanical_Components/M otors_and_Controllers/GM_employees_were_told_not_to_use_these_6 9_words_when_discussing_recalls.aspx GM just sadder and sadder.

EAS84
20

^link states not found?

Kartboarder22G
185

It won't let me post the link, just past the above link in and type GM in the search that comes up on the page, it is the first article listed.

Kartboarder22G
185

docadams, you are in the same situation I was in. I finally did the rebuild at my own cost after wasting time making phone calls to GM Cust. Service. If the car is still working but slipping and rough into reverse, take it in immediately to get the rebuild done at any GM service center. The cost for me out the door was about $2600. The longer you wait to more your tearing up the inside of your tranny and you will need to get a tow if you wait as long as I did. The part that is going on yours is the 3-5-R wave plate and it is probably as cheap as you claim, except buried within the transmission. Also after you get it replaced get down under your car and just make sure all bolts and stuff look like they have been tightened. I had one bolt that was a 1/4" backed out and 3-4 exhaust muffler hangers had not even been installed. The Chevy dealership I worked with just slapped it back together as quickly as they could! I just saw a white Saturn Vue being towed the other day same issue for that poor guy. Also, if yours still runs then run to a GM dealership and see if they will trade it in, don't tell them anything about the tranny, you might make out better that way. Also, don't buy a GM vehicle again, unless you need a truck or a sports car!

Kartboarder22G
185

Now my transfer case to for the AWD system is leaking fluid, which they say is common, I'll have to get that fixed for about $700! I should have had the seal replaced on that when the transmission was out, how stupid that dealers don't recommend that be fixed at the same time!

tiggerrrt
0

My 08 transmission went 5 months ago. First the mechanic we deal with got run around from the local GM store, now when trying to replace the transmission completely the mechanic told us he is having problems finding compatiable transmission because for about 3-4 months Saturn used a different transmission and its been prone to problems. Has anyone else ran into this problem or are we just getting the run around from our mechanic as well as getting screwed by the local gm service shop. So disgusted with this whole thing. WAS a loyal GM customer (Dad is GM retiree) but never, never again.

Kartboarder22G
185

No they are running out of these transmissions, because it is happening to everyone! I would suggest they try and rebuild, it should also be cheaper. Also, have them replace the transfer case seal while they have it apart. My costs above are good starting points they should be the same estimates or less.

ripoffillegal4
20

WHY ISN'T THERE A CURRENT CLASS ACTION LAWSUIT. I HAVE HAD TWO TRANSMISSIONS REPLACED IN TWO YEARS FOR MY 2004 SATURN VUE. WE HAVE BEEN ROBED OF OUR 2000 + DOLLARS THAT IS WHY THEY QUIT MAKING THEM THEY SAW THIS COMING. WHEN IS SOMEONE GOING TO CONTACT THE WHITE HOUSE ABOUT GM ABOUT THE WAY THEY QUIT MAKING THE SATURNS? I CANNOT AFFORD ANY ATTORNEY AND I HAVE A SPECIAL NEEDS DAUGHTER WHO HAS BEEN RIDING IN THIS DANGEROUS VEHICLE. THE WAY IT ACTED WHEN MY TRANSMISSION WENT WAS COMPLETELY SCARY. NOW THE GM CHEVROLET DEALER IN PITTSBURGH, PA HAS PUT TWO JUNK TRANSMISSIONS IN. DO SOMETHING BEFORE MORE PEOPLE ARE AFFECTED. THEY RECEIVED A HUGE AMOUNT OF MONEY FROM THE ADMINISTRATION AND WERE NOT PUNISHED. WE RECEIVED NOTHING.

Kartboarder22G
185

That sickens me, sorry to hear about your vehicle, I believe there is a class action lawsuit on the 2004, due to a CVT being used in that vehicle which is trash. You should be able to get some money back. As for me, it wasn't the transfer case seal that started leaking, it actually was the torque converter to transmission seal that started leaking. The GM dealership took care of it for me at no cost though which was nice after having the transmission rebuilt. Suggestion to anyone getting their transmission rebuilt to have that seal replaced at the same time!

Calamita126
0

Hi I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XE 3.5 engine 6 cylinder. I just replaced the engine and the main wire harness. I have 99500 on the odometer got my truck back Tuesday and went to get it inspected but it is showing shift solenoid and transmission malfunction but it's driving fine and most garages in my area don't deal with transmission work so I got an appointment with a company called Redline on the 23rd. I still owe a lot on my truck I don't know what to do any suggestions please!?!?!

Kartboarder22G
185

I hope you have a good reason why your engine got replaced already and it doesn't have to do with GM making crappy engines. Anyhow, if it is shifting well, I would go to an autoparts store and have them scan it to tell you what the code is to verify it is what the inspector told you. Then have them clear the code. If the code comes back take it in to get it diagnosed/repaired. Take it to your Redline place, a transmission shop or GM dealer. Best of luck to you.

lilhilfox624
0

I also have a 2008 VUE had an engine/transmission related problem within first two months but covered under warranty. Then at 4 years and 50,000 miles transmission started acting up...if I came to a stop it was in gear but wouldn't go forward or backward. Went to GM dealer and still had one year left on power train so was covered but all GM did was rebuild. NOW two years later for whatever reason will fall in to fail safe mode (per mechanic) and not shift out of 1st; like tmlsml, I need to turn off the engine, let it sit and then start it up again and it shifts 'fine' again. Apparently 2008 was NOT the year to get. =/

Mochi
50

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD and while my 15yr old daughter was driving up dangerous Colorado mountain pass, the transmission slipped out of gear and we lost power control. Fortunately she was able to safely pull off the highway. Our independent mechanic found following codes in the diagnostic computer; P0776-pressure control solenoid stuck off, 09-07-30-0125 reverse clutch plate. I have really enjoyed this car, now with 80k miles, and will get it repaired. I dumped foreign cars due to maintenance bills. They all have their issues. This will be much less expensive then our Audi or VW's ever were. I am going to stick with this Vue XR. Buying new or used will be more costly then keeping it going at this point.

Kartboarder22G
185

Yes Mochi, getting it fixed will be the cheaper option, but read the review above yours, because this user is experiencing issues 2 years later. If I were you, repair, drive for 1-2 years then dump and upgrade to a Japanese car. Sure Audi and VWs are German and yes they have problems too. Yet have you looked at Honda, Subaru, toyota, etc.? I think if you do your homework and buy one of those next you will be pleasantly surprised. In my family we have driven VWs, GMs, Hondas and Toyotas. Yes the Hondas and Toyota were amazing and the resale value was mind blowing!

Christopher Chris
290

Yes. Please dump your car and let someone else enjoy it who doesn't buy into the Japanese or German is better baloney. Folks, technology is being pushed to its limits, sometimes past it, and things are going to break on all cars. Iv'e seen transmission problems on Audis, VWs, Hondas, etc... Yes, the resale is better for those cars, but if you enjoy the Vue, you also have a very safe car. Look at the size of the pillars to your left and right, you have some good insurance there in case of a rollover. Parts are so much cheaper, and if you work on the car yourself....its still do-able with most tools you have in your garage or what you can borrow with a deposit at Auto Zone.

Kartboarder22G
185

Have you stripped the plastic off the pillars to see the thickness of the metal below? The vehicle is amost 1000lbs more than others in its class that are being produced today. Not to mention cars go through FEA testing now days that wasn't even considered back in 2007 when they were designing this car. Don't be fooled by looks, test results speak for themselves. Other than that the vehicle is a pretty good car, just sad that a transmission goes out at below 100k. Not everyone repairs their own transmissions now days, for me to do so would have required renting tools to mount the transmission for extraction of all the planetary gears and discs. Something I would never want to do.

Christopher Chris
290

Ha ha. I'm talking about the repairs like the wheel bearing assemblies, brakes, shocks, etc...they are way easier on the vue than on a VW. I have taken the crossmember off of a Vue before in a dirt driveway. Its a two day task to get the transmisison in and out. I wouldn't bother rebuilding a transmission, just get another, put it in, and get the car back together. My wife and I did a clutch a month ago on an older vue. Its dirty work, but it feels great not letting Firestone get me for a cool grand. Ever see the valve cover on a VW? Diving into that is Pandora's box. Japanese parts get expensive too. I'm talking keeping a vehicle for the long haul. Most people are better off ditching any car before 100K in order to get some trade-in value, but a lot of 2008 and later Vues are being unloaded on the market. They should go for cheap, just look for ones with a rebuilt transmission and you should have a halfway decent car as the reason the transmissions went was for a part that got improved on.

Kartboarder22G
185

I've done my brakes on my 2004 Accord and my Wife's 2010 Malibu and they were identical and might I add very simple to do if anyone is wondering. Shock setup is mainly the same now days on FWD vehicles, except on German vehicles to name a few. My brother did his shocks on his VW Passat and he had to get a friend with a torch just to warm things up enough to get everything apart. It was an incredible job. Yet, they have complicated suspension for a reason, because those cars handle extremely well. That car with stock suspension would blow my Accord with performance tires away in the corners and it was a 2001. It also handled like a dream on the snow. So with the benefits and safety of a good handling car you get difficult maintenance. Also, they are running out of Remanufactured transmissions for the Vue or already have, because this is striking everyone. So you will have to get yours rebuilt. I believe most people are being told rebuild is your only option at this point or be put on a 3-6 month waiting list for a remanufactured. There are no new trannys available because this tranny is obsolete.

Caccds Amaral
10

I'm interested in the heavy duty transmission cooler!!! Got a Vue for my boyfriend as a present and I love it!!! Awesome Christopher with your positive words and help!!!

Caccds Amaral
10

If you have anymore info on this vehicle please let me know!!! I would love to keep this vehicle going!!!

Paul Hicks
10

...I like many others in this thread am experiencing the same crappy transmission issue... ...I am no wealthy guy, 3 to 4k for the repair seems miles away and I have dealt with GM on the phone all week. ...this car was in the shop for a night trying to find the issue... ...was told they could not diagnose any problems, patted me on the head, and sent me on my way... ...still shuddering between 4th and 5th and now not moving at all unless cold. (not to mention they failed to record the service - meaning my word means nothing at 115K) ...I will never ever buy another GM product even though I love the Corvette and Caddys... ...nope, not going to do it. ...mine is a 2008 AWD - and no one can tell me the Tranny Code and I don't even want to call GM again... ...anyone have an answer..?

Kartboarder22G
185

Paul, is it an V6 XR? Are you the original owner? Have you had any tranny work done to it in the past? The waveplate disc that fails is used to shift into 3rd, 5th and reverse. I had issues with 2nd to 3rd until it finally gave out on me. The rebuild cost is about 3k, maybe a hair under. Anymore and they are taking you to the cleaners.

Stevedask
0

Glad I found this because I was looking at a 2008 Redline. Funny part is I was interested in it because they say it has a Honda Engine and Tranny - funny all the people noting forign cars are better than GM but it's the Honda parts that are failing on theses things. I read the 3-5 waveplate was only a problem in the early models and they fixed it in later models (honda) so I wonder if when they rebuild if they put in the upgraded waveplate to make the new tranny last longer?

Kartboarder22G
185

Stevedask, Prior to 2008 the engine and tranny were Honda, but then I think 2003-2007 GM changed the tranny to their own OEM CVT that they never want to talk about again. Then 2008-2009 is all GM powertrain purchased from their OEM suppliers that are not Honda. The only thing correct about your statement is your question, Yes they will put the updated waveplate in when the GM dealership rebuilds your 2008-2009 tranny.

Willow5000
0

Transmission started slipping and within 2 days was gone. Total with taxes is $4200 for a refurbished transmission with 3 yr/100,000 warranty.

Mochi
50

Great news people! I just had my 2008 Saturn Vue XR AWD transmission issue fixed by a local GM dealer. The great news is that GM stepped up and covered 30% of the repair even though the vehicle is outside of warranty. I was shocked. This all happened without me even asking as GM Customer Service is monitoring this website so they contacted my dealer and jumped in. My final bill was less than $1500 with a 12/24 warranty. This has rekindled my faith in GM. Buy American people! I love this car and will continue to drive it with piece of mind that I have a rebuilt transmission.

Kartboarder22G
185

Buy American Mochi, what does that mean anymore? GM bought Opel, a German Automobile company and took their Antara model and rebranded it as the 2008-2009 Saturn Vue. By the way they were also manufactured in Mexico.

JoeENil69
10

Mochi do you have a contact from GM? My issue start yesterday. I have a 2008 Vue xr AWD 6 cyl.

JoeENil69
10

Just got the call from the Service department. It is the Wave Plate will cost $4200 to replace transmission. Looks like I'm parking it!!!!

Kartboarder22G
185

That is for a remanufactured, you should be able to rebuild for about $2600.

Christopher Chris
290

I would get a second opinion, sounds like a sensor. If its a fluid pressure wave plate, it makes sense that the car is off, the engine is no longer spinning, you start it and repressurize the system....it works the next time. If you decide to pay for a rebuild, don't just run to AAMCO, hunt around for the best warranties. Watch out for those lame ass 5000 mile warranties...what a joke. Its possible the dealer has the best thing going in the long run. If you pay $2600 for a transmission, that's still not bad for a 6 year old front wheel drive car. For a new car in a similar SUV setup, its going to cost you between $16,000 and $20,000 to get the same kind of ride. I still laugh when I see people riding around in the hamster Kia Souls....my car is a lot roomier, even though it might be a little needy in maintenance.

Mochi
50

Stay calm people. Take your vehicle to your local GM dealer for for a diagnosis. Ask them to contact GM, here is the email address from the GM Customer Service Reps that helped me - socialmedia@gm.com. My final bill was less than $1500. Thanks to GM for covering 30% of the rebuild fee and I am 2 years outside of warranty. Regardless of the bad press, GM is stepping up to help us with this issue.

Lisa Sepelak
10

Ñot all dealers are being honest or attemting to help. Glad yours was...here in Va not so much....

JoeENil69
10

Just sent out an email. Will see what happens. Will call the service manager today and see what he has to say....

Kartboarder22G
185

Lisa is right, not all will get help with this, it depends on a lot of circumstances. For the best results: Take the vehicle to the Dealer you go too most often for maintenance, hopefully that is the dealership you purchased the vehicle from. It also helps if you are the original owner and the lower the mileage and the closer you are to the expiration of the power train warranty. Most of the time it is put on the shoulders of the dealer by GM, so the better your relationship with the dealer, the better off you'll be. Keep in mind some dealers will not rebuild, they don't want to take the time to do that, or pay the Transmission tech to do so. So, you might have to call around to find a dealer to rebuild if you want to go that route. $2600 to rebuild, $4200 for remanufactured. I believe the rebuild warranty is 1 yr. unlimited mileage and the remanufactured is 3 yr. 36k mileage.

Lisa Sepelak
10

We ended up getting a rebuilt engine costing us $2500 needing shipping from FL (we live in VA) because there were no local ones available that fit our car. This was after the local GM dealer soaked our mechanic a couple hundred for a part that wasn't right and wouldn't return it. I have never bought any car other than GM product because my father is retired GM and I have wanted to support him BUT I wouldn't buy a pair of roller skates from our local GM dealer. We got nowhere contacting GM via email and I wish all luck with that route. I am happy my VUE is back on the road---I do truly love my car and when everyone here was urging us to give up and just get a new one I was the one wanting my car fixed. Other than this pain of a transmission its a great car and I drive it all the time. It just stinks that this is a common problem and GM isn't doing right.

Kartboarder22G
185

Well said Lisa! My plan too is to run this vehicle till the next expense is above the value of the vehicle or I'm having items failing constantly. Yet my next vehicle won't be GM. No one wants a vehicle with a transmission that has a catastrophic failure before 100k under normal operating conditions due to a part that wasn't manufactured correctly.

JoeENil69
10

I got a call from My dealer service rep today. He said GM will pay 45% of the of the cost repair. Today had an appointment to look a 2014 Cruze. Was leaning to have a 3rd party fix the Vue and not buying a new car. Now that GM has step I'm looking at a 2014 Malibu. Will pick it up tomorrow!! Thank GM rep socialmedia@gm.com

Michael Garland
15

I own a 2008 Saturn VUE AWD and now have just shy of 200,000 miles on it. It just started shifting hard when it shifts under acceleration. I love the car and for the most part the only repair expenses I have had with the car are normal wear items such as brakes, tires, spark plugs, and oil changes. I had a TPMS sensor go bad and one of the wires was broke or was damaged to the a rear wheel speed sensor. At 200,000 miles a transmission is not a if but a when. I also expect the motor to need a rebuild at some point. That many miles it will happen. The body is in great shape so I will replace the tranny when it becomes necessary and replace the motor also if that ever becomes necessary. It is the nature of the beast. I don't care what the make and model of vehicle you have there will be gems and lemons in every bunch. A new transmission and or motor will still be much less of a cost that replacing the vehicle with a new one that I will run the tires off of and rack up 200,000 plus miles on eventually also. Because of the high mileage the car has no value to anyone else except me. I know the vehicle history and I plan on keeping it until the day I have to push the poor tired old thing into my local junk yard to be recycled.

Christopher Chris
290

You have done great with getting your car to this mileage. I would say it comes down to where you live. A rust belt car at 100,000 might start getting some corrosion issues vs a 200,000 car from the south. A repair you have coming up are the wheel bearings. This is a $500 repair through the dealership. I have done two of these myself. The wheel bearing assembly is pressed in the hub and requires some tricks to get it out while on the car. If that does not work, a hydraulic press is needed...just something else to budget for.

Michael Garland
15

I did replace both rear wheel hub assemblies. I had ABS/Traction Control/AWD trouble lights on my dash. When they ran the codes it said rear wheel speed sensor so instead letting the shop do the repairs (that was going to be $700 for each rear hub) I changed BOTH rear wheel hub assemblies myself. After changing both hub assemblies I still had the trouble lights so back to the shop I went. They ran it down to a broken sensor wire at a cost of $200 to repair. Even after replacing both rear hub assemblies myself and paying the shop to troubleshoot the wiring problem I was still way under the price they originally quoted me to replace the hub assemblies (which I am sure they would have done first before discovering it was a wiring problem.)

Michael Garland
15

Oh and by the way I live in Illinois so the car has been trough MANY snow storms and submitted to a ton of salt damage.

DaveZ27
10

The trans went out on my 2008 saturn vue XR at about 74,000 miles. This thing was my baby. Oil changes were done on time, tires, everything! I am the only owner and I paid it off in the first two years making huge lump payments. One day the trans started to slip. I read this forum and sure enough it was the same issue as everyone else. It slipped between 3-5 and lost reverse. I barely made it to the dealer. They confirmed it needs a new trans and estimate it to be $2600-$3500 to repair. It is one year out of power train warranty. I paid extra for the GM extended warranty when I bought it (which has been USELESS) and that is also one year out. I paid a lot of money for that extra coverage. I cannot believe that the trans is already out with such low mileage on a well maintained car. It's sad to explain it to co workers and friends that a newer GM product has already failed. I am a police officer, so people constantly ask and respect our opinions on vehicles and which one is best to keep them safe and what is a good investment for their money. Depending on how GM handles this, and if the dealer can help with the cost, I will surely steer them towards Honda.

Brit99
10

I HAVE A 2006 REDLINE VUE, NIGHTMARE ....TRANSMISSION WINED FOR WEEKS AND NOT IT JUST REVS IN GEAR HELP ??? ANY ADVICE I CANNOT AFFORD ANOTHER CAR IM BROKE.

Brit99
10

car is just reving and vibrating under hood ? HELP..any ideas

lovecoco
20

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue Hybrid and it has been nothing but a headache. Have had hybrid battery replaced (on warranty) Engine replaced (I had to pay), and now transmission is giving me problems. This car is a lemon. GM will do nothing about it. Thieves!!!

lovecoco
20

BTW, the car only has 120,000 miles. 3 major components in car have gone, how is that possible???

Aknol75
0

I have a 2007 Saturn Vue with 67,000 miles. Transmission just went on it with absolutely no warning. Tried calling GM & was told nothing can be done. Dealer will charge $600 just to look at it. I will try the social media site thanks to everyone posting.

Stacey Cupo
0

2008 Saturn VUE v6 transmission wave plate broken! Guess I just joined this group:(

Kartboarder22G
185

Everyone will join the group, just a matter of time.....By the way if you do get your transmission rebuilt, make sure you tell them you want all external seals on the tranny replaced, this is especially important for the torque converter seal. I didn't have mine replaced and about 10k miles down the road it started leaking so they had to take the tranny out again!

Suzanne Arena
0

I have a Saturn VUE 2004 Green - oooohhh How I LOVE my car. I had a Honda Prelude before her for 21 years and I only got rid of her because X said car seats don't fit. Sold that Honda car for $25 with 285K miles that purred. My Saturn has also had all the typical maintenance done and I typically go to the dealership, they never told me EVER about a transmission recall. The last month (since it has become cold), it sounds like a boat from inside the car and drives different. I am very sensitive to anything before it is really bad happening to the car. Anyhow, it has intermittedly revved for 2 years in all situations. Albeit minor, it never seems to happen when the dealership takes it, and NO I have never driven with them, but I see I probably should. Playing devils advocate. So it's been stated that there was a class action suit and I don't understand why notices were not given??? Typically with a suit, there is a duty to the one who sold you the car to let you know. Aren't they out of compliance or something? I paid for a rebuilt transmission when I had my Prelude and it lasted for 10+ more years at 1,00 a year. You can't have a car payment for that price. It's totally worth it. Thank you for the Transmission Coolant idea - will start. I love my Saturn, and if GM is standing by their transmissions, then I will have Herb Chambers in RI call them and c if this is a problem. Great blog - thanks.

Brian Wells
35

First, thank you all for sharing your stories. My partner and I bought our 2008 Vue XR just over 2 months ago (w/75K miles) and we've loved it. The transmission started slipping and I found this forum and sent it to our dealer (family friend) which helped the service department get the job done more quickly. Funny enough, we paid extra for a 100K powertrain warranty and the company backing the warranty hadn't even processed our paperwork yet. The approval for the repair took longer than the repair. Second day of having our Mabel home, I just noticed shuddering/slipping at about 20 mph. Has anyone who had their 3-5-R plate fixed experienced this? I'm calling tomorrow to get it back in, but I thought I would ask for any guidance from you all!

Kartboarder22G
185

Did you get yours rebuilt or get a remanufactured transmission put in? Mine shifts very nice after the rebuild other than the common blip shift once every so often that I believe is more of a programing thing. If it is a rebuild it could be that something was reassembled incorrectly. Like you said they repair it as quickly as possible.

Michael Garland
15

Last month I posted that my transmission was slipping on my 2008 VUE XR. Knock on wood it has stopped slipping. I drained the transmission fluid (I jacked up the rear of the car so I could get all the old transmission fluid out that I possibly could.) I replaced the old fluid with 100% synthetic transmission fluid and a bottle of "Lucas Stop Slip." I'm sure it isn't fixed permanently. I just prolonged the inevitable but at least I made it through Christmas without replacing the transmission.

Kartboarder22G
185

What color was your oil and did you find any metal in there. As soon as it starts happening again make sure to take take it in before you need to get a tow. Also the rebuild will be cheaper if you get it before it locks up on you.

Shaii051914
0

I have read every one of these comments because I have fallen in love with the 2008 Saturn vue v6.. And I have realized with a little TLC you can make the car last longer. I had a honda accord and the trans started slipping.. And now that I have a daughter I want and suv... Something a little bigger with great safey ratings. I want to thank everyone who has shared their experiences good and bad and I'm hoping when I purchase this vehicle I can make it last with the tips I've found hear today. :)

Stmendez
20

This messege is for the GM, You are the WORST!. I owe a Saturn Vue 2008, i haven't even had this car for a year and the transmission just went out, and you people are not willing to help with your mistake. first you sale a messed up car you know about you get sued about and still don't take it out of the market and leave customers paying for YOUR mistake! i've had the worst experience with you and who ever sees this messege and wants to sue i am in.

lovecoco
20

Well, I posted a few months back about my 2007 Green Line Saturn Vue transmission failing. I parked it for a while and then it drove fine for 30 miles and then completely stopped going forward. I called GM and they were no help. GM does not want to pay for any Saturn transmission issues and Saturn sold and ran with whatever money they had, before they lost it all due to transmission recalls. Anyway, I ended up getting a remanufactured transmission and I paid about 1850 just for the transmission, plus another 600 for labor. I'm still not 100% confident in the car, since the whole experience was quite traumatizing but from what I've noticed it's driving great and I'm keeping my hopes up. I now have a new engine, new transmission and had the hybrid changed on recall. Just hoping for the best :)

lovecoco
20

Btw, I had to get a loan to fix my transmission. How ridiculous when GM should have paid for it. There is no reason why a transmission should ever go out at 107,000 miles. This is just my opinion. I drive my kids in this car everyday and NEED my car. I now have a loan to pay back. THANKS GM... for nothing.

Jury
20

2008 vue xr .Wave plate just went out at 77,000 miles. Original owner. Limped to local independant tranny shop . Was told gm has special warranty on the 6 speed auto. Called chevy dealer, looked up vin # and said if it was the wave plate it would be covered . Well it was and gm is repairing at no cost. I believe this policy just came out . Good luck to all who have this problem, but dealer and gm stepped up and did what was right.

MommaBear61
5

I just purchased a 2008 Saturn VUE XR with 81,076 miles. The car is immaculate inside and out. The original owner traded it in when they purchased a new vehicle. After reading all of these posts, I was so hesitant to buy it, but for $9,485 I decided to roll the dice. After reading Jury's post from 4 hours ago, I feel so much better knowing that GM will repair at no cost should the wave plate cause the transmission to go out. Thanks for the info, Jury.

Kartboarder22G
185

Mine went out early summer 2008 I asked for assistance from GM and was denied. They basically states because I was not original owner. Maybe things have changed recently due to the immense failure of these transmissions, if so I'm wondering if GM is offering any refund. Yet it could be that original owners are the ones getting theirs repaired at discount or no charge?

Kartboarder22G
185

Sorry meant to say early summer 2014, it's late I need to get to bed.

Anielsen1
80

GM has recently extended the warranty on the clutch and wave plate for the Saturn Vue until 120,000 miles. It's called "Special Coverage". The only reason I found out I had an active warranty at 116,500 miles is because of my Onstar account and its Warranty Tracker!

FinallyOnWheels
0

Omg! I just drove off the lot TODAY with my gorgeous 2008 Saturn Vue XR 33,500 miles on it. I was so happy... I thought I found a great deal for the kids and I. What should I do now??? :-(

lovecoco
20

Return it and get yourself a Honda or Toyota or Nissan. Also, read reviews before you buy a car. Big lesson I learned.

Kartboarder22G
185

Anielsen1, Are you original owner? Do you know any details on the warranty like is it 7 years, 120,000 miles? Or 120,000 miles unlimited years? Also how long ago did you find out? I would like to see if I could get a refund on paying out of pocket to a GM dealer for my rebuild. Any help would be much appreciated.

FinallyOnWheels
0

I read a lot of reviews and comparisons online. Kbb gave it an 8.3 out of 10. No mention about transmission issues. IDK how I came across this blog. I feel sick. I don't think I can just take it back. I purchased an extended platinum warranty...I hope it's covered! Should I call GM on Monday?? **sigh**

Kartboarder22G
185

Attention! Important! I did some digging and GM is covering this for 10 years 120,000 miles or whichever comes first! If you paid any amount out of pocket you need to submit a claim, here is the information: http://www.saturnfans.com/forums/ showthread.php?t=206725

lovecoco
20

Honestly, I love my car. I have an 07 and have had to replace the engine, hybrid battery and transmission, so I'm disappointed because it has cost a lot of money in repairs. The 2008 is a beautiful car but what I've learned in the 6 years I've owned my car, is that a car can look nice but what really matters is the mechanical part of it. This is only my experience and GM has never recalled 07 for trasmission, but they've recalled earlier models and 2008s by VIN specific. I don't understand why they don't just admit that all years might have issues. Anyway, if you do have the warranty, it might work out for you, but I would definitely call them.

Kartboarder22G
185

GM, you did right on this one, all I can say is excellent decision and thank you!

lovecoco
20

I would love to get reimbursed for the t ransmission repair but they truly DONT CARE. My car has 108,000 miles.

Kartboarder22G
185

Love coco do you have a 2008 or are you talking about the 2007? I believe they did something for that vti tranny. Yet it was something where you had to trade in your car for money towards a different vehicle or something like that. Maybe it wasn't related to the 2007 but like 2005 or something like that?

lovecoco
20

Yes. I believe older models had a recall from what I've read. I've just had 3 major components not work and every case is different but that's every major part of the car and I would think they'd care. They did the hybrid battery on recall and honestly, after they did that at the Chevy dealer, then engine went, then a year later transmission. Maybe the mechanics suck and one thing affected the other, but again at 108,00 miles why has this happened? Not okay and I feel disappointed.

FinallyOnWheels
0

Kartboarder22G...the link you posted says "page not found". :-( Do you have another link to the GM coverage?

Kartboarder22G
185

Sorry links don't work here. Just Google: 14404 special coverage It will be the first result. I know it doesn't state the vue, but I went on the gm website logged my vehicle in by vin and checked what warranty I still have available and this 14404 was there!

Kartboarder22G
185

Basically you stop into the GM dealer where you had work done and open up a claim for reimbursement. Bring your receipt. I'll be starting this Monday after work!

Anielsen1
80

I am the original owner. The special coverage is 120,000 miles or 10 years. The links that you may find pertaining to the coverage never worked for me. I kept getting the result of page not found. I contacted GM directly and told them about my Onstar account showing the Special Coverage 14404. The GM rep. asked if I was having issues with my car and then they contacted the closest GM place that deals with Saturn. If you speak to GM make sure to get a case number and keep it in your records bc if the service place is uncooperative GM said they would send the case to one of their senior advisers. I already had my clutch replaced at 99,000 miles but not the wave plate. The only indication I had that something was wrong with the car was Slight hesitation between a gear. If you qualify for the special coverage and are nearing the mileage cut off I urge you to fight to have these replaced even if there aren't major issues. Because there is no way for the repair place to know whether the wave plate is going bad unless they look at it! So there's a possibility it's fine but it's more than that it's not fine.

Tuni46
10

I too have a 2008 Vue jut dropped it off at the dealership and then was directed here to this forum by my father. I feel screwed.

Kartboarder22G
185

I'll keep everyone up to date on what I find out tomorrow.

Tuni46
10

Log into the GM owners site create an account for your car and check your warranty. I have the Saturn 08 Vue it wasn't listed on the memo I found on other forums sites for the new coverage, but I do have the special coverage of 14404. Check before you go to get it repaired. They also offer reimbursement if you already paid.

Kartboarder22G
185

If you have paid for repairs out of pocket for the faulty 3-5-r wave plate, call 1-800-553-6000 and ask how you can request for reimbursement for "Special Coverage Policy 14404". They will get a file started for you with the GM dealer you had the work done at. Then you will finish the call with the dealer on the line to setup an appointment to come in and put together paperwork for submitting to GM for reimbursement. Good luck to all!

Mochi
50

This public online forum is such a valuable resource for all of us to keep on eye out for each other similar vehicle owners. Thank you! I paid $1463 out of pocket in November 2014 for this 3-5-R wave plate repair and would have never been notified about this opportunity to get my hard earned money back. I just called GM and started this process. They verified my VIN to be included in the 14404 Policy. Get on it people and keep everyone in the loop. Sharing is power to the consumer!

Roonie
0

I am from Barrie Ontario, Canada. I own a 2008 Saturn Vue, at 71,000 miles it started to hesitate and finally would not go into reverse and would rev high in drive. I took it to the local GM and they said it needed a rebuilt transmission at $4300.00 or a new one at $4400.00. The new transmission comes with 3 years warranty so I went with that. They said 7-10 days to do it, while I waited for that I read alot about the Saturn Vue especially the 2008. I did read where GM reaches out and helps some of the people on this forum. I emailed GM@socialmedia.com and because I am from Canada I was referred to Crystal at GM customer service head office in Canada, not the dealer. I spoke with her on the telephone, told her what had happened. I am not the original owner and I didn't have extra warranty. The service advisor told me because there was no warranty it wasn"t covered by GM. I told him that no vehicle should have transmission problems at 70,000 miles, warranty or no warranty. He agreed with me. After 3 weeks I was told my transmission costs were covered by GM, I paid a total of $575.00. Bad news is, I was told it can happen again. So if you are experiencing this problem, and are being told GM won't cover the costs, call the Head Office of GM and speak to Crystal. Or Vanessa if your in the USA. GM does back up the products they produce, I have owned alot of GM vehicles and I would buy GM again.

Kartboarder22G
185

You do not have to be original owner for the special warranty to take effect. The special warranty just started a week ago and you have till March 2016 to make a claim if you paid any out of pocket. I would assume Canada included.

Jury
20

Just picked up 2008 vue xr from Chevy dealer. Tranny rebuilt. All new seals, gaskets, rings, plates etc. Only took 2 days. Everything covered with special policy including towing.I know my timing with the trans going out(only one week after special policy came into effect) was just plain luck, I have to say GM and authorized Chevy/Cad dealer did exceptional here in St. Louis.So good luck to all who have or will have this problem.

MommaBear61
5

That's great news, Jury! My 2008 VUE XR has 81,100 miles with no signs of transmission failure. At this point, I almost wish it would so I could get it repaired before it hits 10 years or 120,000/miles.

Kartboarder22G
185

MommaBear, you said you just purchased it, were you able to check service history to see if the transmission has already gone out and the previous owner got it repaired? Hopefully that is the case. Yet who knows where the previous owner got his repaired, could have gone to a tranny shop and there is no history.... So that might be a tricky one. Good luck I guess.

MommaBear61
5

The CARFAX report doesn't mention anything about transmission work being done on it. I just created an account on https://my.gm.com and found that my VUE is covered under Special Coverage 14404 which expires at 120,009 miles or 05/09/2018, whatever comes first. Thank you to everyone who has contributed to this thread...I feel so much better now.

Flanamom
0

I am the original owner of a 2009 Saturn VUE XR, 56k miles, very well maintained. Yesterday pulling away from a red light car revved and drive would not engage. Got to a shop, they said it is the transmission, I am in shock. Called GM and they said get it to a GM dealership for investigation, if it's a "clutch wave plate" there is a "special coverage" whatever that means. Live in NJ. I am a retired Grandma, I have no savings, so very upset. Any advice? Thank you.

Kartboarder22G
185

I'm 98% sure your waveplate has gone out in your transmission. Just bring it to a GM dealer, they will give you a rental and in a few days you should get your car back charge free with a rebuilt transmission.

sandytrz
0

I also own a 2008 saturn vue and the wave plate failed and would not go into reverse, cost 4,200.00 to replace, we also had a gmc arcadia with same transmission that also went out and had to be replaced, just received a letter on the gmc about contacting gmc on refund for transmission hopefully the saturn which has the same transmission will get the same letter to help pay for replacement.

Kartboarder22G
185

Yes you will get a letter for the Saturn, I just got mine Friday

sandytrz
0

I just called the number for saturn and they told me my car is covered under the special coverage 14404, thank you for your help, will be nice to get reimbursed the the transmission work.

Jaks1029
0

Does anyone know the number for Saturn? Need to see if my Vue is covered by the 14404 special coverage.

Tuni46
10

Log into GM website owner site all you need is VIN it will show you your coverage for that vehicle. If it's an 2008 you are covered, mine was and is being fixed by a GM dealership right now. The email in this thread for GM social media also works they will reply usually in one day to your questions.

Jaks1029
0

Mine is an 08 Saturn Vue with the same kind of transmission they are saying is covered but when I type in my VIN it says that it isn't. Thank you:)

Jaks1029
0

That's why I was looking for Saturn # I thought maybe talking to someone might be better.

sandytrz
0

Also my vin number when I put it in said it wasn't covered, but when I called the 800 number they said it was covered, I also just received a letter yesterday and went to nearest GMC dealer and they are taking care of the details to get a refund for the price of the transmission that I replaced in my 2008 saturn Vue.

Jaks1029
0

Oh that is great! Do you have the Saturn #? I have found a few 800 #'s for them, just want to make sure I call the right one:)

sandytrz
0

the number for Saturn is 800-553-6000. they will also give you the closest GMC dealer to where you live.

sandytrz
0

in order to get a refund for a transmission already replaced it has to of been done at at certified dealer.

Jaks1029
0

Ok thank u so much for info. Good luck with urs:)

repastor
0

my transmission on the '08 Saturn failed at 30,000 miles and I had it replaced at a non-GM dealer. I called the GM number, they made contact with the local GM dealer, who filled out the paperwork for a refund. I got the letter from GM yesterday regarding the faulty wave plate and transmission failure. The form they sent was the exact form I filled out at the GM dealer. When it first happened GM didn't want to do anything for me. Now they've been very helpful.

sandytrz
0

Has anyone been reimbursed yet for a full transmission replacement instead of a rebult transmission? We were told from the dealership we went to that they would only reimburse for what it would be for a rebuilt transmission and I paid over $4,000.00 for a new transmission and will only get back around $1,900.00. I think they should pay for the whole replacement. what are your thoughts on this? When we were dealing with the replacement the warranty for a rebuilt is not very good and is why we decided to go with a full replacement. My transmission went out before they were paying for the repair.

repastor
0

I was told the dealer couldn't get a new transmission - only rebuilt was available and I had to wait until they found one. And it still cost me over $4000. I'm still waiting to hear how much I'll get refunded. It may only be for the hours it would have cost to replace it. We'll see.

Roonie
0

When my transmission went, I took it to the GM dealer and the they said a rebuilt would be $4300.00 and new one would cost $4400.00 with 3 years warranty. Gm dealer said there would be no coverage, I said go ahead and put in a new transmission. I did some research online about the propblems I was having and contacted the GM head office and 3 weeks later they paid for the new transmission in full. Try to go for the new transmission, because you get the 3 year warranty.

Rick Scanlon
5

My wave plate went about a year ago March of 2014 with 84000 miles. I got online "facebook" and ripped Saturn a new one. Cost was going to be $3900. got it down to $787. and now a year later GM just sent me a reimbursement form for any cost related to the 35r wave plate.

repastor
0

Had I gone straight to a GM dealer instead of the Saturn dealer where I bought it, I probably wouldn't have had to pay $4000+. But now GM is going to refund me half of what I spent - and since I had written it off as a loss, I'm glad they're doing right by me. Half is better than nothing.

Kartboarder22G
185

Repastor, so you had your transmission replaced at a Saturn dealer that wasn't under the umbrella of GM dealers? Now GM is paying half? I just find this odd, because Saturn was just a GM product. Similar to Buick is a GM product. So, I would think a Saturn dealer is a GM dealership and according to the reimbursement of policy 14404, you should get a everything reimbursed.

Rick Scanlon
5

Transmission repaired at a GM dealer a year ago March 2014 , my cost was $787. I just received a letter April 2015 from GM stating the know about the wave plate issue . GM refers to the letter as 14404 letter. It state that if I fill out the reimbursement form I can get that 787 back even.

Kartboarder22G
185

I got my check for reimbursement yesterday, for the full amount. There was another member of a Enclave forum going by the name of Electbc that had his work done to his transmission at another shop that was not GM owned and he was refunded the total of his repair cost that was $3615.56. So, repastor, looks like you should get $4k+ back vs. $2k+ back. If you only want the $2k+ back, that's fine, I'll take the other $2k+ off your shoulders, lol.

sandytrz
0

Did get a refund check from dealer for the replacement of wave plate even though I had the whole transmission replaced. It was for half the price I paid for the transmission, tried to get a full refund but GM said that they would only pay for the wave plate replacement, so if you have the work done for your transmission be sure to only do the wave plate or you will end up paying for whatever the difference is. Glad to receive at least half the money back but would of been nice to get the full amount I paid for the transmission since the dealer I went to did not give me the option of only doing the wave plate.

Kartboarder22G
185

sandytrz, Did you have the transmission replaced at a GM dealer or just a tranny shop?

sandytrz
0

I was on vacation when the transmission went out so had it replaced at a gm dealer in Tucson Arizona, I live in Minnesota so brought the slips to my nearest dealer here and they were the ones that said only the wave plate would be paid for and when I called GM they also said they got a hold of the dealer here in Minnesota and would only pay for the replacement of the waveplate. I don't think they even tried to call the gm dealer that actually replaced the transmission in Tucson, which I thought was strange because the gm dealer in Minnesota never saw my car just the repair slip which said the waveplate was bad.

Kartboarder22G
185

Thanks for getting back to me, I also am a Minnesota resident, that would stink if that happened to me on vacation. I actually took mine to Arizona/Utah after getting the rebuild. Was a little worried about doing that, but glad it held up. Are you the original owner of you vehicle? I'm thinking GM knows they will be shelling out some big cash, so they probably want to just treat the waveplate problem. At least you have a good warranty on the transmission, yet looks like you had to pay around 2k for it. I'll always have to worry about my tranny getting chewed up slowly by any left over particles they didn't get cleaned up....

sandytrz
0

I am not the original owner of my vue, I think i am the 3rd owner. yes I think you always have to worry about if maybe there were particles left in the transmission after a wave plate repair. glad I went with a new transmission but sure is costly.

MikeOD12
0

I had my trans replaced at 60k miles due to the wave plate failure. Work was done at the same GM dealership I purchased the Vue. It cost me about $4,000. I dropped off the paperwork two weeks ago for a refund, and called today to check the progress. The GM dealer told me they are only refunding $1,750 for the wave plate only. This doesn't make sense to me, since due to the wave plate failing, the transmission was trashed. I didn't even get a option to fix only the wave plate. They didnt even give me the option to rebuild the trans. Full replacement was my only option. Should I talk directly to GM about getting my full refund. I hate dealing with the dealer. Thoughts?

Kartboarder22G
185

Yea, probably talk to GM directly stating you were not given the option of a rebuild and the only fix for the wave plate failing that was presented to you was to put in a remanufactured transmission. Yet, keep in mind GM just goes back to the dealer to discuss what you tell them further. It is worth a try.

sandytrz
0

the same thing happened to me and when I called GM they did go back to dealer and just went with the what the dealer suggested. I also was not given the option of just replacing the wave plate and was only reimbursed for only what it would of cost for the wave plate replacement. I also am wondering if only the wave plates are replaced will any particles from the broken wave plate float around and ruin another transmission? think they should of paid for the whole transmission instead of just wave plate being replaced.

Kartboarder22G
185

The two options if your plate breaks prior to the extended coverage policy 14404 being released were to rebuild the tranny or replace the tranny with a remanufactured tranny. Basically for a rebuild they open the tranny and replace the broken plate with a new plate and inspect and replace any other damaged parts caused by the wave plate breaking apart. They also do a cleaning process to remove as many metal shavings as possible from the tranny. Then they put the tranny back together and onto your vehicle. This process is described in better detail on the 14404 policy and GM has published these work instructions previously, because they knew many people were bringing these vehicles in due to this plate failing. This is published so dealer techs have further knowledge on what is the correct process to repair the vehicle. Today if your vehicle has the broken plate they will do this rebuild process and remanufactured probably isn't an option anymore. What happened in the past is some people were never given the option to get their tranny rebuilt, just because the dealer didn't want to deal with the mess of opening up the tranny and doing the necessary work to switch the plate out. Also, deal with customers coming back due to something missed in the rebuild and who pays what on those claims. Keep in mind that a remanufactured could be someone elses tranny with a broken wave plate sent back to GM to be rebuilt in factory, which they probably spend more time on and replace more parts. The remanufactured is still the safer way to go long term.

MommaBear61
5

I have a 2008 Saturn VUE XR with 81,500 miles. Over the weekend my check engine light came on and is steady. The code reads P2135 Throttle/Pedal Position Sensor/Switch A/B Voltage Correlation. Does anyone have any insight on what I might be in for ($$) at the repair shop?

Lala2015
0

I have a 2008 Saturn Vue Redline with less than 100,000 miles. I just had my transmission rebuilt, it cost $4200. If I would have known Saturns had transmission issues I would have purchased another car. I know now to do more research on any car I'm thinking of purchasing.

Kartboarder22G
185

Lala2015, GM has just recalled this transmission, go into the dealer and ask for reimbursement of your costs. If you have further questions let us know. There should be an extended warranty on your vehicle under the policy 14404. Did you have your vehicle repaired at a GM dealership or a transmission shop?