Evap Canister/Check Engine Light

Asked by catmeyers90 Jan 30, 2013 at 03:03 PM about the 2009 Chevrolet Cobalt LS

So I have a 2009 Chevy Coblt LS. Just got a new clutch in it, about 3 months ago. About a month or so later, my check engine light came on, and every time I put gas in it, and then go start the car, it turns off, then have to restart it, but only when I put gas in it. Plugged the computer up to it, and gave me the code for the Evap Canister. So I replaced that, went fine for two days, now its doing the same thing again. My check engine light is on again, and the same issue with not starting when I put gas in it.    HHEELLPPP!!

You're OVERFILLING the tank! Back off and don't fill to the cap, and all will be right with the world.

the canister will "clean itself" if you can run the engine. The purpose of this canister is to not introduce petrol fumes into the atmosphere, but suck them back down into the engine with use. NOW, you've hydro-locked it with gas, because you filled it up to the intake of the FUMES, not the FUEL. You'v e choked the system with gas. Do not worry these things are volitale and will dissapate in time. JUST don't fill to the cap...please!

Best Answer

ooh! oops! that makes complete sense now that I think about it! Thanks so much! Does that mean the check engine light will turn back off?

@ cat, reallly can not say for sure as I'm not "mr goodwrench" just a guy who listens to click and clack and worked as a Sunday mechanic in Berkeley from the years 93-96. Got MS now and LOVE sharing my knowledge of getting my ass kicked as the customer would lord above me as I fixed their tow-in. Just a GURU...now. thanks for the kudos :)

I hope your light goes off. I understand the need to 'fill the damn thing up, that way won't have to fill that much sooner' type orientation. Just stay confident the amount that you didn't fill would only carry you maybe one block! Just run it through a couple of tanks full, I'll be expecting a full report on my desk in the morning.

lol well itll probably be a about a week or so for me to fill it up two or three times. but def have a full report for ya! :)

I could start diggin' and researchin' same as you, but the car is going to drive exactly the same. You could opt for "the black tape" solution for a while. Just joshin' ya. thanks for bein' a sport!