My 88 Camaro died while driving now wont start

kyoung
0

Asked by kyoung Jan 07, 2013 at 02:04 PM about the 1988 Chevrolet Camaro RS

My 88 Camaro died while driving now wont start it has done before but always has restarted with jump. It also has
a strong smell of gas also im having a hard time understanding wiring diagram any pictures
pls help

Jim Demestihas
185

ok so.............youre getting fuel..........................getting any spark at the plugs?

7,885

well, strong smell of gas could be a fuel leak? They are hard to pin point because of the fact fuel evaporates.

Jim Demestihas
185

smell is from it flooding with your cranking it alot and it not starting to burn the fuel

CJ Michaels
745

the smell of fuel could be a few different things, but if its dying a lot make sure ur battery connections r good, check the alternator...have u gotten a new battery or anything recently? my 84 trans am was having starting problems, so i took it in to get diagnosed and it was my negative feed that was just barely too long for my new battery, so i put a washer in between and now it starts no problem.....before i fixed that i went through about 3 batteries because something in my system was draining every battery i put into it, turns out i was short about 60 cold cranking amps, so make sure u got the right battery too

bullethead1982
25

My 86 did the same thing. I cleaned the battery terminals, ground wire that goes to the frame, and alternatore wire. In the end it was the main positive connected to the starter that needed to be tightened. Now the car starts everytime. Do that and see what happens. Don't buy anything untilled you do. Also remember to charge your battery.

bullethead1982
25

Which diagram do you need?