Kia Sportage - starter solenoid engages while running

ronaldjay
0

Asked by ronaldjay Apr 27, 2014 at 08:22 PM about the 2008 Kia Sportage LX

2008 Sportage - Originally, while stopped in drive and attempting to shift into park I hear a grinding noise ( starter engaging with flywheel ). I turned key off and shifted into park. Problem went away but occasionally I'll hear starter solenoid trying to engage ( slight grinding noise ) while in park and engine is running.

Sportage 2008 2WD 4 cylinder automatic

Any ideas ?

Ronald

chassy
10,325

you simply need a new solenoid

ronaldjay
0

Are there any switches or sensor between the solenoid ( gear shift, etc ) that might cause problem ? Is it possible that ignition switch ( key switch ) could be wearing out ? Thanks agian, Ronald

chassy
10,325

Let me tell you a story about a buddy who replaced his starter 3 times on Canadian Tires dime. He put in a rebuilt starter and everything fine, two days or less later - no starter. He returned the rebuilt and exchanged it as defective (no cost). Put in second rebuilt and burned it out - exchanged it as defective (no cost). He asked me to help him put in third rebuilt. which I supervised (basically I Had A BEER while he crawled under and I watched). He started the car while I stood and listened. he went to get out of the car while I yelled shut 'er off. His bendix stayed engaged and was whipping the started motor around at a million miles an hour (exaggeration on the million).I had him replace the solenoid and that third rebuilt is still in his car some five years later.

chassy
10,325

P.S, he was so embarassed about what he had called the Canadian Tire guy for selling lousy rebuilts that he went to another supplier to get the solenoid ( he thought the Canadian Tire guy might put two and two together and try to get him to pay for the two returned (defective) rebuilts - that last part isn't P.C. but it's true.

ronaldjay
0

I agree it sounds like the solenoid going bad, just hoping to make sure a sensor or switch isn't triggering the solenoid. Thanks, Ronald