2008 tundra front end shake

dga83
0

Asked by Apr 08, 2010 at 06:18 PM about the 2008 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4.7L 4WD

i've noticed when i get to 60-70 mph the wheel starts shaking mildly, anyone else noticed this in a 2008 tundra 4x4 crew cab

Comfyn Jeans-Anna Gonzales
45

I had loose lug nuts... tho that happened because the shaft... for got the name of it... the front wheel and breaks are attached to it.. prob not much help... um?

Stephen Lee
35

have you tried an alignment and re-balancing the tires?

Reed Osell
15

how many miles are on the tires? one of my front tires on my 08' tundra had a sidewall the was starting to rip which caused the alignment to shake at high speeds and when braking. i would check out your tires. and if you get new tires, check out the Cooper LTZ. It is a beefy off road tire with almost no highway noise at all!

Dave Wilson
195

I have a 01 tundra is haveing issues caued by out of ballance tires. Apparently they are extreamly hard to balance seeing as I've been in there 9 times for the same thing. I've had my suspension and alignment compleatly overhauled so I know it's not the truck. Good luck! If you find out what's wrong with yours let me know.

unhappytoy
15

mine shakes at 60-62. said was my tires.only 5000 miles on them. went back and balanced rotated every 3000 and tire wore out ,shake never got better.put new tires on.cooper s/t 33" now toyota blaimes my new tires. told them old tire did it too.they wont confess theres a prob. with truck. last toyota i buy.its a 08 with only 22000 miles.going to sell it after winter. maybe go back to ford.

Scott Drummond
10

My 08 Tundra is 2 wheel drive and I bought it with 42K on it. Pulled to right and steering wheel shook at speeds of 70-75 mph. Took in for an alignment and stopped pulling but still shook. Took into to have my tires balanced and they were way off, but after rebalancing I took the truck on the highway and still got the shaking steering wheel. I am taking it back in to have them really inspect tires and rebalance. I will post reply in a few days after that happens to see if anything gets better.

pinballsales1
40

Same problem with my 2010. I had it for a year and a half and at 30000 miles Sept 2011 I had to have front end work done. 6 months later Feb 2012 same issue however they can't find a problem but recommend new tires, brakes and alignment and I did the services recommended and still shaking. 5 months later July 2012 I go back in with same problem and they recommend balancing and same issue now 1 year after front end redone 9/12 they finally say they see the problem but coincidentally the warranty for mileage is up when they actually see and issue that I have had a problem with since February. I will see what they say when I get a call back

Woodsy72
40

I brought my '08 Tundra Crew Max in for rear brakes (pads and refinished rotors) at 50k miles. While driving home at low speed (30 mph) I felt a little shake but figured it was frost heaves here in New England. The next trip on the highway was fine most of the time, but gave the truck a little gas from 62 - 75 mph and the truck really began to shake. I didn't apply the brakes when it happened, but even when I did apply, the shaking did not stop. Pulled off the highway to visually check. Tires were still there. Started back up and drove home (5 miles) and no issue. Happened again on the highway and decided to bring right back to the mechanic. He rebalanced the wheels and checked things out. Looked good and left. After about 5 miles on the highway, the shaking resumed. It has not occurred at a predicable speed, or all of the time. I drove the truck with the vehicle stability control off and for the next 15-20 miles there is no hint of the shaking. Haven't driven it since so I'm not sure if the shaking has ceased completely.

Sab01247
10

I have a 08 Tundra crew cab with 40,000 miles and my front end shakes after I use the manual shifting. Not sure what causes it and had new tires put on and it still happens. I plan on bringing in to get checked out and will show all these posts to try and verify there is an issue. I'll get back if I get anywhere.

jmone22
50

I have a 08 Tundra crew max with 54,000 miles. Truck as been shaking at random for about a month and my first thought was because I hit some pot holes with all the bad weather in Delaware this past winter. Toyota can of course not re-create the problem or tell me what they think it is. Coincidentally I have the 7 years, 80,000 mile warranty so it's not advantageous to them to find the problem.. for now.. Also, I've noticed for about 2 years that my transmission will randomly jolt going from 3rd - 4th or it might be 4-5 gear. I've been reporting it to Toyota and they've up channeled it to their higher headquarters but they say their hands are tied because their techs never experience it when they test drive it... FRUSTRATING!

Equinelover
20

I have an 08 Tundra SR5 TRD. I have the shaking problem too. It comes and goes. Speed doesn't seem to matter. I will see my dashboard shake at about 60mph. Replaced tires, had it aligned but it never went away. Sounds like Toyota has a problem with their truck. 85,000 miles on it. It never shook until now.

AntonioCm1983
50

check to make sure you dont need to replace your rack and pion bushings and also check to make sure your toe rods are good both of them needing to be replaced can cause the shaking at 50 to 70

colinmc
80

I will first the tires ,rotors ,and knuckle ..

cgee
10

2010 Platinum with 85000 km, same shimmy everyone is posting about. Been to 3 different shops, was told to replace tires. Replaced tires AND rims, still no difference. 3 alignments, no difference. Replaced shocks and struts, no difference. Beyond frustrating. Toyota obviously has an issue that is being overlooked.

jmone22
50

The problem has gone away for me. It's been months since I've felt the shimmy... I did NOT replace tires, do alignments etc.. Weird....

Cinch4200
0

I have an 2007 tundra trd sr5 my truck shake any where from 90 -120 km I have brand new rims and tires. I am so frustrated with it I can't find the problem , so much for toyotas good name

pbarrientos7
0

Hello all, I have 07 sr5 and its been about a year that I have notice the shaking as well, I took my to Midas said that the brake disc were warp so we put new disc and break pads seems to be good but now is only 4 month and shaking started again I took it to Midas again and said could be the disc again so they resurface them again that did not help seem to get worse. I put new tires to see of that was the issue since the tires were very worn down. seems that it got worse. I'm sure there has to do with something else and TOYOTA needs to look into this before an accident happens. Peter.

CPumaVI
0

I have a 2012 Tundra 4x4. Love the truck, hate the shimmy. My truck has 43000 miles on it and I just bought my 3rd set of tires. Toyota bought my second set. The problem went away for about 10,000 miles and then came back. Right after new tires were put on, shimmy stayed. Weird thing is, this morning I went down a very smooth road and it shimmied really badly. I ran an errand then drove back to the same road to take video of shimmy...ran through the same place and had no shimmy. I'm really thinking the damn thing is just haunted! Looking forward to reasonable and fixable explanation.

Apul Madikout
10

Same truck. Same problem. Changed the rotors and shaking completely stopped.

sdrome04
10

Looks like no resolution. I have a 08 crewmax 4x4 and i replaced my rotors with drilled and slotted as i thought the OEMs were overheating and warping Still does it especially if i am pulling a trailer.

harshbarger
225

I have an 08 tundra was have the same problems.After a year of trying everything finely found out that after market custom wheels on these truck do shake have to have the tires rebalance every 3000 miles.the people at Toyota told me this and also discount tire new this when they sold me the 2500 for new tires and wheels.Put the stock wheels back on it. It quit go figure.

John O'Master
0

I have a 2008 Tundra crew cab. A year ago, I experienced the shaking you all mention. Then it did not reoccur until a couple of weeks ago. I was told it was Torque Converter Shudder. I had the trans and converter flushed and filled with synthetic fluid. No shudder on a 500 mile hunting trip, until I got home. On the last 5 miles, I began to get the shaking. I pulled off, sat with my foot on the brake, the shifter in drive, for about a minute. When I pulled back out and drove on home, no shaking! This thing is really weired.

John O'Master
0

By the way, mine can't be a thrown weight, or out of round tires or whatever. I can stop on the side of the road, wait a minute or so, and pull back out and the truck run smooth as silk. And the shaking won't happen again for a week or more, on the same roads and under the same conditions!