2008 tundra front end shake

dga83
0

Asked by dga83 Apr 08, 2010 at 06:18 PM about the 2008 Toyota Tundra Limited Double Cab 4.7L 4WD

i've noticed when i get to 60-70 mph the wheel starts shaking mildly, anyone else noticed this in a 2008 tundra 4x4 crew cab

Comfyn Jeans-Anna Gonzales
35

I had loose lug nuts... tho that happened because the shaft... for got the name of it... the front wheel and breaks are attached to it.. prob not much help... um?

Stephen Lee
35

have you tried an alignment and re-balancing the tires?

Reed Osell
15

how many miles are on the tires? one of my front tires on my 08' tundra had a sidewall the was starting to rip which caused the alignment to shake at high speeds and when braking. i would check out your tires. and if you get new tires, check out the Cooper LTZ. It is a beefy off road tire with almost no highway noise at all!

Dave Wilson
175

I have a 01 tundra is haveing issues caued by out of ballance tires. Apparently they are extreamly hard to balance seeing as I've been in there 9 times for the same thing. I've had my suspension and alignment compleatly overhauled so I know it's not the truck. Good luck! If you find out what's wrong with yours let me know.

unhappytoy
5

mine shakes at 60-62. said was my tires.only 5000 miles on them. went back and balanced rotated every 3000 and tire wore out ,shake never got better.put new tires on.cooper s/t 33" now toyota blaimes my new tires. told them old tire did it too.they wont confess theres a prob. with truck. last toyota i buy.its a 08 with only 22000 miles.going to sell it after winter. maybe go back to ford.

Scott Drummond
10

My 08 Tundra is 2 wheel drive and I bought it with 42K on it. Pulled to right and steering wheel shook at speeds of 70-75 mph. Took in for an alignment and stopped pulling but still shook. Took into to have my tires balanced and they were way off, but after rebalancing I took the truck on the highway and still got the shaking steering wheel. I am taking it back in to have them really inspect tires and rebalance. I will post reply in a few days after that happens to see if anything gets better.

pinballsales1
0

Same problem with my 2010. I had it for a year and a half and at 30000 miles Sept 2011 I had to have front end work done. 6 months later Feb 2012 same issue however they can't find a problem but recommend new tires, brakes and alignment and I did the services recommended and still shaking. 5 months later July 2012 I go back in with same problem and they recommend balancing and same issue now 1 year after front end redone 9/12 they finally say they see the problem but coincidentally the warranty for mileage is up when they actually see and issue that I have had a problem with since February. I will see what they say when I get a call back

Woodsy72
10

I brought my '08 Tundra Crew Max in for rear brakes (pads and refinished rotors) at 50k miles. While driving home at low speed (30 mph) I felt a little shake but figured it was frost heaves here in New England. The next trip on the highway was fine most of the time, but gave the truck a little gas from 62 - 75 mph and the truck really began to shake. I didn't apply the brakes when it happened, but even when I did apply, the shaking did not stop. Pulled off the highway to visually check. Tires were still there. Started back up and drove home (5 miles) and no issue. Happened again on the highway and decided to bring right back to the mechanic. He rebalanced the wheels and checked things out. Looked good and left. After about 5 miles on the highway, the shaking resumed. It has not occurred at a predicable speed, or all of the time. I drove the truck with the vehicle stability control off and for the next 15-20 miles there is no hint of the shaking. Haven't driven it since so I'm not sure if the shaking has ceased completely.

Sab01247
10

I have a 08 Tundra crew cab with 40,000 miles and my front end shakes after I use the manual shifting. Not sure what causes it and had new tires put on and it still happens. I plan on bringing in to get checked out and will show all these posts to try and verify there is an issue. I'll get back if I get anywhere.

jmone22
10

I have a 08 Tundra crew max with 54,000 miles. Truck as been shaking at random for about a month and my first thought was because I hit some pot holes with all the bad weather in Delaware this past winter. Toyota can of course not re-create the problem or tell me what they think it is. Coincidentally I have the 7 years, 80,000 mile warranty so it's not advantageous to them to find the problem.. for now.. Also, I've noticed for about 2 years that my transmission will randomly jolt going from 3rd - 4th or it might be 4-5 gear. I've been reporting it to Toyota and they've up channeled it to their higher headquarters but they say their hands are tied because their techs never experience it when they test drive it... FRUSTRATING!

Equinelover
0

I have an 08 Tundra SR5 TRD. I have the shaking problem too. It comes and goes. Speed doesn't seem to matter. I will see my dashboard shake at about 60mph. Replaced tires, had it aligned but it never went away. Sounds like Toyota has a problem with their truck. 85,000 miles on it. It never shook until now.

AntonioCm1983
0

check to make sure you dont need to replace your rack and pion bushings and also check to make sure your toe rods are good both of them needing to be replaced can cause the shaking at 50 to 70